Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Trout predictions

Anyone have any idea when they think the trout might show up again in the area? Hard to believe that I have not even caught some shorts since this past spring.

Was kind hoping the storm would swing through and throw some cooler water up out of the Gulf.

Replies

• Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,961 Captain
    I just flat out haven't seen many quality trout reports since the winter time. I've seen a few reports of a few solid ones here and here as bycatch when redfishing but it has been a pretty sorry year for trout fishing the grass flats. As fall approaches they'll be back mixed with the reds and on shallower nearshore grass flats but I have serious doubts about the quantity of them this year. I hope I'm wrong but I really do feel like the near shore red tide from Steinhatchee to Homosassa really messed them up good last year. Best case scenario it's just that a hotter and earlier than usual summer pushed them offshore sooner so fewer of us targeted them in the right spots at the right time.
  • ripnlipsripnlips Posts: 2,536 Captain
    More snook equals less trout. Simply put.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,220 Moderator
    ripnlips wrote: »

What I've been thinking.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • TideUpTideUp Posts: 126 Officer

I'll take that trade off.
    Gainesville Kayak Anglers Club http://www.gkaclub.com
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 2,073 Captain
    The snook are eating well. They're getting bigger every day.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I caught a bunch of 14.5 inchers on topwater plugs today so I guess there are at least some out there.
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,506 AG
    RAIN. Trout are saltwater beings unless they are seeking deep warmer holes in the winter. This ain't rocket science.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GlennGlenn GeorgiaPosts: 1,737 Captain
    navigator2 wrote: »
    RAIN. Trout are saltwater beings unless they are seeking deep warmer holes in the winter. This ain't rocket science.

But what about the trout over on the East Coast in the Lagoon or Indian River? That place has very little flow and lots of freshwater...have the trout adapted over there?

I can see where the influx of Snook have had an impact, but it has just been an odd Sprint and Summer in my opinion.
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,760 Captain
    Pretty good trout fishing about six miles from CR 1 in 12-16 ft They should be in closer next month.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,760 Captain
    BTW there are plenty of them up by the springs in the winter. They tolerate mostly fresh water pretty well. Red fish too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mLuMaN83mLuMaN83 Posts: 108 Officer
    There are plenty trout! You just need to know where to go. Find grass flats in the right depths. A lot of times when I go out, I fill up the cooler with trout before heading in to hunt down reds. Always on artificials.

https://instagram.com/p/7RauOjRZLU/?taken-by=mikey83fishing

What's funny here, is the fact that I am after snook and I cant for the life of me locate one. Everybody else is snagging them up pretty good. Most likely I'm just in the wrong spots for it.
  • Scott CrownScott Crown Posts: 661 Officer
    My predictions for trout. I will start catching 8 pounders in November.
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,597 Captain
    No wonder I am not catching them.
    Glenn wrote: »
    But what about the trout over on the East Coast in the Lagoon or Indian River? That place has very little flow and lots of freshwater...have the trout adapted over there?

I can see where the influx of Snook have had an impact, but it has just been an odd Sprint and Summer in my opinion.

The IR and lagoon are very salty. Even the "fresh water" mosquito impoundments are very salty. Lots of blue crabs and redfish in those ponds. Hunting equipment come out of there very rusty. Had some wading boots that the metal tabs rusted clean off of. It's hard on guns too compared to fresh water. The Refuge staff posts salinity in each of those ponds in a month or so from now.

That being said, trout are a bit off this past summer. Hopefully when it cools down they will head back to the shallow flats and creeks...............or what survived the red tide.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DemonDemon Posts: 225 Deckhand
    The trout fishery in St Marks region has collapsed as well & we don't have snook. Its likely a combination of things but there is definitely a problem this year.
  • Luv2YakLuv2Yak Posts: 944 Officer
    Comment: legally harvestable Spotted Sea Trout (Yankeetown to Keaton Beach) have been less abundant inshore saltwater Spring/Summer 2015.

Why? Above average/normal freshwater run-off + increasing pollution in run-off + Red Tide = loss of seagrass beds (habitat for prey of Spotted Sea Trout). We've already seen an influx of Smooth Puffers and an uncharacteristic presence of Snook further north than typical.

FWC should be PROACTIVE (not reactive). FWC should immediately lower the limits on Spotted Sea Trout (or at the very least improve enforcement of current limits and/or increase penalties for violations of current limits).

If not, expect to see a deterioration of Spotted Sea Trout fishing success Winter 2015/16 and (at least) the immediate future beyond.
    Luv2Yak wrote: »
    Comment: legally harvestable Spotted Sea Trout (Yankeetown to Keaton Beach) have been less abundant inshore saltwater Spring/Summer 2015.

Why? Above average/normal freshwater run-off + increasing pollution in run-off + Red Tide = loss of seagrass beds (habitat for prey of Spotted Sea Trout). We've already seen an influx of Smooth Puffers and an uncharacteristic presence of Snook further north than typical.

FWC should be PROACTIVE (not reactive). FWC should immediately lower the limits on Spotted Sea Trout (or at the very least improve enforcement of current limits and/or increase penalties for violations of current limits).

If not, expect to see a deterioration of Spotted Sea Trout fishing success Winter 2015/16 and (at least) the immediate future beyond.

The silence was golden from you while it lasted.:rolleyes
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Luv2Yak wrote: »

Wrong. This spring the water temperature went from 68 to 80 very fast. This was due to a very mild winter. There were very few places where water temps stayed in the 70's for very long. The trout on the shallower grass flats prefer water temps from 72 to 77 or so. 30+ years of fishing for them has taught me that once the water temp hits 80, they move out to deeper water, 8 to 20 foot. It has also been a very windy spring/summer not allowing small flats boats or skiffs (or kayaks) to venture out 8 to 10 miles where they are. The fast rising water temps are also why the snook are further north than normal. It is also why I started catching triple tail early this year. By the way, I ran from Horseshoe to Pepperfish many times this year. The grass was doing fine.
  • GlennGlenn GeorgiaPosts: 1,737 Captain
    navigator2 wrote: »
    The IR and lagoon are very salty. Even the "fresh water" mosquito impoundments are very salty. Lots of blue crabs and redfish in those ponds. Hunting equipment come out of there very rusty. Had some wading boots that the metal tabs rusted clean off of. It's hard on guns too compared to fresh water. The Refuge staff posts salinity in each of those ponds in a month or so from now.

That being said, trout are a bit off this past summer. Hopefully when it cools down they will head back to the shallow flats and creeks...............or what survived the red tide.

Thanks for the info...
  • kingkong954kingkong954 Posts: 659 Officer
    Wrong. This spring the water temperature went from 68 to 80 very fast. This was due to a very mild winter. There were very few places where water temps stayed in the 70's for very long. The trout on the shallower grass flats prefer water temps from 72 to 77 or so. 30+ years of fishing for them has taught me that once the water temp hits 80, they move out to deeper water, 8 to 20 foot. It has also been a very windy spring/summer not allowing small flats boats or skiffs (or kayaks) to venture out 8 to 10 miles where they are. The fast rising water temps are also why the snook are further north than normal. It is also why I started catching triple tail early this year. By the way, I ran from Horseshoe to Pepperfish many times this year. The grass was doing fine.

Grass has been great in CK this year, too. Better than in years past.
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,946 Admiral

Aahh,sweet music Capt Marrio
  • Rick1-2Rick1-2 HorseshoePosts: 964 Officer
    i have noticed too nothing wrong with grass from horseshoe to pepperfish
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,597 Captain
    Sounds like they left to go deep earlier than usual and they went deeper than usual. I did not hear reports of a lot of trout that died in the red tide last year. It also sound like they are starting to come back in.
    Slacker wrote: »
    Sounds like they left to go deep earlier than usual and they went deeper than usual. I did not hear reports of a lot of trout that died in the red tide last year. It also sound like they are starting to come back in.

I fished the Pretty Pole in June and surrounding area and the grass was just fine then too. However, the water was boiling hot. We had to work for our trout but they were there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    Fished CK yesterday on grass off channel near Seahorse, flats off Snake (jug bar) and around Corrigans. Gulp flukes and grubs, some shrimp, spoon, etc. and only caught 3 -4 trout largest at 14". Water depths (over grass) from 2 to 10. Trout were in skinny water and many short reds as well.

Just not catching many trout.
    My guide buddies at Cedar Key have been catching good numbers of nice trout up until this weekend. Cold front shut them down. There fishing on the south side. They still got some nice reds though.
  • reddawgreddawg Posts: 141 Deckhand
    When the water cools down, the bite will pick up. CK/Suwannee areas last fall and winter had good numbers of keepers. The water got real warm, real quick and drove the trout keep.
  • Hunt NastyHunt Nasty Posts: 111 Officer
    What are the water temps around the Big Bend ? Anybody have a reference online?
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    Sunday at Cedar Key they ranged from 79.5 to over 80 from Seashorse Key, deep flats off Snake and inshore at Corrigans. Day started cool with rain, but became mostly sunny after 1200.

Should be cool enough for trout I would imagine.
    That's certainly a ton cooler than it has been.