8/26 CR- Snookin' & grinding

Robbie went out with me for some topwater casting practice. Low outgoing to start and the incoming the rest of the morning. Robbie must of practiced ahead, because he hit a nice 36" Snook at the first stop. Unfortunately, the fish had the entire big lure in its mouth and had damaged its gills. We felt bad, but it was the first Snook either one of us had seen that was probably terminal, in fact it was the first one we've seen bleed, other than a red lip. Plan was to fish new areas, but the bars we wanted to fish were all covered up as soon as incoming started and we had trouble following them with the poor vis plus fish weren't biting, not even Jacks much. Went to plan B and fished some areas we used to fish a lot and know well, but still not much happening. Schools of small bait everywhere. Like often when you fish like I do, it was a grind with cast after cast after cast after........but wouldn't rather be doing anything else. Stopped at a spot on the way home to get this 32" jumper to save me from the skunk heap. Home for early lunch with a smile, but we worked for them today. The breeze made it less hot than recent daYs

Replies

• Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,843 Captain
    Great job getting the both of you some real nice fish Ted!! Sorry to hear about the bleeding snook, unfortunately it's gonna happen to all of us once in a while it's just a part of the game!! I once caught a snook that was bleeding from a hook hole near it's gullet while fishing w/ Doc. It didn't look like a fatal wound but she was bleeding pretty good. Doc told me to get her back in the water right away because the salt water makes the bleeding stop in most cases. I did and because I had to revive her for a while I saw that he was right! That snook had completely stopped bleeding in just a minute or two! I felt much better when she swam away nicely!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,955 Captain
    My last trip was a grind too, working had for very few fish. There was tons of bait present but lots of murked out water. I may have to resort to heading to CK to find clear water as everywhere else along the bend seems to be washed out.
  • ripnlipsripnlips Posts: 2,536 Captain
    We got a 40" to jump on film the other day. Played it out a little too long and it shook the hook about 3 minutes in. Got carried away because it was a good jumper and it was huge. Will be on Brighthouse Ch 1147 in a few weeks hopefully.
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,946 Admiral
  • HammerheadTedHammerheadTed Posts: 1,256 Officer
    ripnlips wrote: »
    We got a 40" to jump on film the other day. Played it out a little too long and it shook the hook about 3 minutes in. Got carried away because it was a good jumper and it was huge. Will be on Brighthouse Ch 1147 in a few weeks hopefully.

Can't really play a big Snook much as any let up in tension they will usually get off, but for TV you had to take a chance, although it would have been great to land it. It seems like almost every time I try to hand off a rod to someone in the middle of a fight, the Snook gets off, especially the big ones.
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,843 Captain
    ripnlips wrote: »

May have been that super jumpln 38 incher I realeased while fishin w/ Backyard Eric last June? That Sow
    jumped clear outa the water 7 times! Just love to think it was the same girl up to her old tricks???
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • Biggary16Biggary16 Posts: 469 Deckhand
    Nice snooks Ted. Way to grind out a couple.
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,721 Captain
    There are a lot of fishermen that will never see a day of fishing this good. WTG :thumbsup
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • WindsplitterWindsplitter Posts: 617 Officer
    Nice Snook! too bad about the bleeder, hope she made it, but if not the crabs got a nice meal.