Power trailer dolly.

jimcameronjimcameron Posts: 212 Officer
I'm trying to decide storage options for my Cape Horn 17. One possibility is along side my house. The area is not a straight shot so that I could easily just back the trailer up my driveway, (slight slope) and then cut over to the grass area, and back along side of my house. It's pretty tight, and some 30 yr old vegetation which makes for a sharp turn, followed by another sharp turn.

Online I've seen electric (battery/or 120v) powered dollys that I'd consider if I could get some real world input from owners that use them, and recommend them. Whats your experience with these things? Thanks, jkc

Replies

• surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,074 Admiral
    If you can mount a hitch to the front bumper then you just drive it in. Never used one of those things, sorry.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • jimcameronjimcameron Posts: 212 Officer
    I've got that possibility as well. Probably less effort than the dolly. Just checking my options.
  • bh973bh973 Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    I use a trailer Valet http://www.trailervalet.com/shop/trailer-valet-trailer-dolly/?gclid=CPGO7PfexMcCFVYTHwodJPUFuQ

It is manual but helps me make sharp turns with the dual axle trailer. I would love to have an electric one but the $$$$ keeps me away.
  • MelbourneMarkMelbourneMark Posts: 1,756 Captain
    Will it fit in the garage, with a swing tongue? My 17ft key west fits that way.
  • FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,348 Moderator
    I've only used the manual dollys as well, but will say they allow for precise maneuvering. I wouldn't want to try and navigate grass without some power assistance.

FSD
    Formerly Catmandew
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,074 Admiral
    I mounted a hitch to the front of my lawn mower, it is great for the jon boat but I haven't tried it on my 19' with tandem axle.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • LimeyLimey Posts: 457 Deckhand
    Learn to back up. If you can put it in with a hitch on the front then you should be able to back it in. Backing up is easy just takes practice.
    Carolina Skiff 238 DLV. 140 Suk
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,260 Officer
    I'm with surfman. I've had a front hitch for 35+ years and can put anything anywhere without hitting anything.
  • flashback62flashback62 Posts: 40 Greenhorn
    I observed a guy several years ago back a 17'boat into his garage on a narrow street,inclined driveway with an electric,I was pretty impressed with the maneuverability .