Home Egret Boats

Top Speed on 189 CK

no_rEGRETsno_rEGRETs Posts: 9 Greenhorn
Hi all,
This is my first post in this forum. My primary fishing machine is a 1999 Egret 189 with a 175 Johnson. It was my grandfather's boat until he passed away about 7 years ago. Anyway, when I was a young kid fishing with my g-pa I thought I remember that it would run nearly 60mph at WOT. 9-10 years and ~300 hours later, I can barely trap 49mph by myself with half a tank and no tackle. The prop was just reconditioned and is the original prop. In the grand scheme of things, top speed isn't a huge concern for me. Just curious what others are achieving with a similar set up.

On a seperate note, the boat is reaching the point where I'd really like to get it reconditioned. Re-wire, new trim pieces, gel-coat repair on the keel, etc etc. Thinking about starting a conversation with Frank to get this done. I'm looking to keep things as factory original as possible. Also considering a repower in the near-distant future. I am interested in Yamaha's new F175 V max engine. Really looking to switch to 4 stroke. I love the performance of my 2 stroke, but the fuel burn is a little ridiculous and it doesn't run all that brilliantly anymore.
Thoughts, opinions???
Thanks in advance for any advice. I know there is a lot of knowledge in these forums.
Jake
-Orlando

Replies

• Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    no_rEGRETs wrote: »
    Hi all,
    This is my first post in this forum. My primary fishing machine is a 1999 Egret 189 with a 175 Johnson. It was my grandfather's boat until he passed away about 7 years ago. Anyway, when I was a young kid fishing with my g-pa I thought I remember that it would run nearly 60mph at WOT. 9-10 years and ~300 hours later, I can barely trap 49mph by myself with half a tank and no tackle. The prop was just reconditioned and is the original prop. In the grand scheme of things, top speed isn't a huge concern for me. Just curious what others are achieving with a similar set up.

On a seperate note, the boat is reaching the point where I'd really like to get it reconditioned. Re-wire, new trim pieces, gel-coat repair on the keel, etc etc. Thinking about starting a conversation with Frank to get this done. I'm looking to keep things as factory original as possible. Also considering a repower in the near-distant future. I am interested in Yamaha's new F175 V max engine. Really looking to switch to 4 stroke. I love the performance of my 2 stroke, but the fuel burn is a little ridiculous and it doesn't run all that brilliantly anymore.
    Thoughts, opinions???
    Thanks in advance for any advice. I know there is a lot of knowledge in these forums.
    Jake
    -Orlando[/QUOT

Welcome to the forum Jake. Sorry to hear about your grand father. He left you a great gift. I hope that you'll treasure it.

If you're running a 4 blade prop on a carburated 175 Ocean Runner then you speed is within range. Contact Frank he can do everything you're looking to do. As far as new motors, they're alot heavier than the one you have on their now. Good luck... Pete
  • Carolina FlyCarolina Fly Posts: 71 Deckhand
    "fuel burn is a little ridiculous and it doesn't run all that brilliantly anymore"

Your motor could be old and out of tune. We would ideally want to know the rpms you are achieving at WOT and if possible the prop numbers like pitch, etc. I had a 150 hp Oceanrunner on a previous boat heavier than an Egret and it was a beast. Drank fuel like a beast too but the torque and power were impressive so your memories may be correct. When you repower I think you will be very pleased with the boat. Welcome to the Egret family.
  • FishinMcNutFishinMcNut Posts: 536 Officer
    no_rEGRETs wrote: »
    On a separate note, the boat is reaching the point where I'd really like to get it reconditioned. Re-wire, new trim pieces, gel-coat repair on the keel, etc etc. Thinking about starting a conversation with Frank to get this done. I'm looking to keep things as factory original as possible. Also considering a repower in the near-distant future.
    Jake
    -Orlando
    Jake, I had Frank recondition my '98 C/K several years ago and was extremely pleased with results and the experience. Several years later and everything he did is still holding up perfectly.
    There are too many variables to help diagnose your speed/repower dilemma. An 18.9 running 60 is at the top of the field and not really obtainable for most. For example- mine ran 58 with carb Merc 175 and a Yamaha HPDI 175. Both were top speeds with perfect props and attention to setup.
  • Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 606 Officer
    I'm a glass 18' 9" w/ Yammi 175 HPDI.
    4 blade prop loaded is about 52mph.
    3 blade lightly loaded is 58.

Have the factory do your updates.....you will be impressed.
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    Either you are mechanically inclined ore your not. The fact you had to ask told me that you can not do it. Its ok, not every one has this ability. Some people just have to pay.