When a Hurricane Comes...

mikenavmikenav Posts: 785 Officer
Not real worried about the storm in the Atlantic, but it got me thinking. IF it were to hit where I live, this would be my first good storm with a boat on a trailer next to the house. What do you guys to protect the boat when going through a storm? Obviously the best option is inside somewhere, but I'm not fitting a 22 Pathfinder in my garage....

Thoughts?

Replies

• cookin outcookin out Posts: 237 Deckhand
    Your not going to escape tidal surge.....if thats an issue. Wind, is very unlikely to do anything but if you are worried about wind, weight is your freind, full tank of fuel, water in livewells and a few bags of sand.....then all you have to worry about is a tree falling on it......

cheers
  • FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,353 Moderator
    definitely fill with fuel. I used my boats fuel to run my generators.
    Gas stations can take awhile to get up and running when the powers out.

FSD
    Formerly Catmandew
  • rehartlinerehartline Posts: 779 Officer
    It you park it up,against your house or between two houses it may provide some wind protection, depending on the direction it faces. You could also strap the boat to the trailer and tie the trailer down with some ground anchors that you use to tie down shares. It's unlikely that a storm would be that bad but better safe than sorry.
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,336 Officer
    Hook it to your vehicle and head for a better place.
  • mikenavmikenav Posts: 785 Officer
    I like that last suggestion the best! Thanks for all the advice. Honestly, I never would have thought of filling it with fuel, but that makes sense on a TON of levels. Thanks! Here's hoping i don't have to worry about!
  • lifegoesonlifegoeson Posts: 337 Officer
    Fill with fuel and lock all compartments, chock trailer tires and make sure plug is out and not filled up with debris, away from fence and tucked up next to house or shed(not a rinky dink either).
  • Capt KurtCapt Kurt Posts: 383 Deckhand
    call your insurance broker and make sure all is up to snuff before Hurricane Season..
    visit Pure Pilates in Fort Lauderdale - http://www.pure-pilates.net
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,147 Captain
    Hook it to your vehicle and head for a better place.

x2
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters