Coming down to Marathon Aug 22-29 - some advice would be greatly appreciated

Coming down this weekend for a week. 2 boats, 9 people. All of us dive, most spearfish. Me and one other have lobstered (I'm inexperienced but have found a few) - wife and I have been down to Marathon a few times, and although inexperienced with fishing, have caught a few dolphin and one blackfin. Have out to the Marathon and 409 humps before with no luck other than the small blackfin. I'm very inexperienced with this stuff, so any advice for gear, bait, rigging, etc. would be appreciated. Wife and I did OK in May on dolphin, so I know what to look for. The trolling for tuna, on the other hand, I've got no idea.

Hopefully the current and weedlines will still be there starting the 23rd into the 28th.

Also wanting to spearfish and lobster - any ideas on where to go for that, what to look for, etc.?

Thank you!

PS - looks like weather will be very nice!

PPS - when people say to hit 7 mile bridge on "the slack tide" what do they mean? When I look at tide charts I see a "high" top of the curve, and a "low" bottom of the curve - would the slack tide be that time between low and high?

Replies

• kayakerinkeywestkayakerinkeywest Posts: 412 Deckhand
    Regarding the tides, the slack tide is the "high" and the "low". It is at those points that the water movement basically stops/switches direction. Great for swimming around looking for lobster but not good for fishing as it tends to shut down the bite as well as reducing chum spread.
  • grey2112grey2112 Posts: 130 Deckhand
    Regarding the tides, the slack tide is the "high" and the "low". It is at those points that the water movement basically stops/switches direction. Great for swimming around looking for lobster but not good for fishing as it tends to shut down the bite as well as reducing chum spread.

Thank you. I was thinking of checking out the 7-mile bridge pilings and surrounding rocks/structure for lobster on Sunday or Monday. Good idea on the slack tide?
  • ch23ch23 Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    Grey,
    Going to be in KCB same week, in the 90's ( I'm old) we used to dive the bridge on slack tide and always did well. If I remember correctly we only had about 20 mins or so and then the tide starts RIPPING. Also some BIG critters around there, we'll be chasing the phins,tuna, and yellowtail mostly. hoping to bullynet a couple of nights. Good luck
    Don
  • ccriderccrider Posts: 522 Officer
    Watch out for the Sharks if your diving the bridge, I was down to our place on Big Pine about a month ago and the number of large sharks we saw was unbelievable, many locals also told me they have never seen this many large sharks
  • piner_wahoopiner_wahoo Posts: 3,141 Captain
    dolphin
    28' SEA VEE BRAND NEW 200 SUZUKI's- LIVE BAIT OFFSHORE WRECKS DEEP DROP REEFS BACKCOUNTRY
    CUSTOM CHARTERS u pick the boat- Capt.Harlan Trammell
    American Allegiance Charters -LOWER KEYS BACKCOUNTRY FISHING,LOBSTER dives, fish the 33' WORLDCAT w/ AOK+Allegiance!
    your boat or mine, my spots+my gear, your fish.
    BIG WAHOO
    checkout our new website- http://www.american-allegiance-charters.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/American-Allegiance-Charters/708182519302079[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • grey2112grey2112 Posts: 130 Deckhand
    Thanks, guys -I had heard about and wondered about the sharks near the bridges - I'm cool with them but some of my friends are not-so-cool seeing them. I'm used to it being a spearo off Tampa/NPR, as they're just a fact of life.

As for dolphin - I know it involves a lot of "run and gun", and when we were down there in May we had SMOOTH flat conditions and went out to 800+ feet and found a few on a weed line, but didn't find much weed, and the very nice bits of flotsam we found had nothing but very small triggers and tripletail on them. Now, that being said, I've read reports lately that things are a bit nicer right now for it. I've read anywhere from 450-700 feet of water is where to find them.

So, should I head out on days that are not as smooth, and with a SE or ESE wind/wave direction? According to Windfinder it looks like W, Th, F may be good as it seems that the winds are around 10mph, SE and ESE direction, a little overcast. Plus it is going to be full moon on Friday and I don't want my peeps diving around then given tides, currents, etc.

So we're thinking of maybe doing the majority of our diving, spearing, and lobstering on Sunday - Wednesday at the latest.
  • TeamTekeTeamTeke Posts: 946 Officer

This is not true for the Keys. The mixing of Gulf and Atlantic waters create much different water flows. Use a "current predictor" instead of tide charts. I have written many, many times about this. Go to: http://tbone.biol.sc.edu/tide/tideshow.cgi?site=Long+Key+Viaduct%2C+Florida+Current
    Happiness is the journey, not the destination.