Home Egret Boats

Trade my Marquesa for an Egret

Replies

• trponhuntertrponhunter Posts: 249 Deckhand
    best comment yet - choose your poison. Simply find your best series of compromises - I know - at least at this time - I've found mine. When priorites change - the boat may as well.
    *Previous - 2000 Egret 189 carbon w/ vmax 150 - twin rotating prop
    *Previous - 2008 Egret 189 carbon w/ ETEC 150
    *Previous 2010 Beavertail Vengence w/ETEC 90
    *Current - 2015 Beavertail BTV w/ Suzuki 90
  • TXWahooTXWahoo Posts: 547 Officer
    There was a comparison somewhere between a HB, East Cape, and Egret with no surprises... you know who won the ride test and had the most hull slap.

I'd bet I've caught less FL fish than anyone on here, but I did take my Egret offshore beyond the reefs the other day trolling and the next day drifted Flamingo and Snake Bight; no push pole limited me to what the trolling motor could get me out of but it wasn't the hull.

All I caught was a Jack, a few mangrove, couple of keeper trout, jumped a tarpon, and had a shark break me off.

There have been days I wish I had a 14-18ft HB skiff and there are days I wish I had bought that 23' Cape Bay that I nearly bought prior to my Egret. If I wanted a boat for only extreme flats fishing though... it would be a Newwater not a HB.
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    TXWahoo wrote: »
    . If I wanted a boat for only extreme flats fishing though... it would be a Newwater not a HB.

That would be a good idea. HB does not make a flats boat.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    That would be a good idea. HB does not make a flats boat.

I didn't call a HB a flats boat but it fishes the flats. Not sure what your point is... a Newwater will go as skinny as any HB skiff. A HB may be easier to spin.
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    I didn't call a HB a flats boat but it fishes the flats. Not sure what your point is... a Newwater will go as skinny as any HB skiff. A HB may be easier to spin.

The Texas flats boat have never really caught on here. Seems to me there are more Florida built flats boats in Texas than the other way around.

Personally I never liked te very low sides. It could be that's why they're not popular here.
  • camgcicamgci Posts: 190 Deckhand
    Simply find your best series of compromises .

Best description of buying a boat I've heard in a while.
    The Texas flats boat have never really caught on here. Seems to me there are more Florida built flats boats in Texas than the other way around.

Personally I never liked te very low sides. It could be that's why they're not popular here.

I know they haven't. I like the low/no sides; it is very easy to walk around while fishing. If you are on TX's Laguna Madre it's perfect but I wouldn't want to take out the inlet which is why I didn't buy it... same reason I didn't buy a technical skiff.

In hindsight, I'm not sure a cheap poling skiff like an Ankona and a $30K center console/bay boat for the price of a new Egret is not a better way to go. For one boat to do it all... still haven't found a better boat than the Egret.
    . still haven't found a better boat than the Egret.

Great Boat for sure.
  • JI SnookJI Snook Posts: 676 Officer
    I've seen more Hells Bay's in Texas than Egrets. Hells Bay has 2 reps on the Texas coast selling their boats and just had their 4th owners tournament. The coastal areas in Texas are perfect for Hell Bay boats like the Marquesa, Biscayne and 17.8 Professional. Because they float so shallow, no need to wade fish anymore.
    JI Snook wrote: »
    I've seen more Hells Bay's in Texas than Egrets. Hells Bay has 2 reps on the Texas coast selling their boats and just had their 4th owners tournament. The coastal areas in Texas are perfect for Hell Bay boats like the Marquesa, Biscayne and 17.8 Professional. Because they float so shallow, no need to wade fish anymore.

That's one thing I never undersood why someone would get out of a perfectly good boat to wade. Maybe they don't have Bull Sharks in Texas.
    That's one thing I never undersood why someone would get out of a perfectly good boat to wade. Maybe they don't have Bull Sharks in Texas.

Oh, TX has bull sharks and gators too. The only areas in TX I ever waded were 1ft or less, clear water, and hard sandy bottom. I saw guys wading waist deep brown water and they can have it.
    JI Snook wrote: »

It doesn't surprise me there are more HB in TX than Egrets. While living in TX, I had never heard of Egret until I started looking at online fishing forums. Marketing and the fact that HB has two reps on the TX coast is one reason there are more HB there. Hell, Egret was not even at the Miami Boat show and FL has to be the #1 market for them.

I'd take a HB over Egret if I was poling the Laguna Madre... but I wouldn't run out to the oil rigs in one.
    It doesn't surprise me there are more HB in TX than Egrets. While living in TX, I had never heard of Egret until I started looking at online fishing forums. Marketing and the fact that HB has two reps on the TX coast is one reason there are more HB there. Hell, Egret was not even at the Miami Boat show and FL has to be the #1 market for them.

I'd take a HB over Egret if I was poling the Laguna Madre... but I wouldn't run out to the oil rigs in one.

I think it has been 3 or 4 years now that Egret has been to the Miami Intl. Boat Show. It's a lot of work and expense. Which is probably why Frank hasn't done them.
    No sense in doing them if you really do not want to build allot of boats.
  • Darkside18Darkside18 Posts: 28 Greenhorn
    Hey guys as you see I don't get here to often. I see five pages of stuff but know one interested in selling or trading their Egret. I've been away and the boat is still in the garage. I will get it out and post some pictures if someone is interested in it. If you or anyone you know is interested or selling a nice Egret please let me know.
    Thanks guys.
    Thanks,
    I looked at both of them. One has a 115 which is way under powered, a funky seat welded to poling platform, and cheap trailer. The other one has a F150 on the back (to heavy) and he bottom painted it. Can't believe people bottom paint flats boats especially nice ones.
    If you know of any others please let me know thanks.
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,390 Officer
    The 2011 was sold.
  • FlyingdutchmanFlyingdutchman Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    Darkside18 wrote: »
    Hey guys as you see I don't get here to often. I see five pages of stuff but know one interested in selling or trading their Egret. I've been away and the boat is still in the garage. I will get it out and post some pictures if someone is interested in it. If you or anyone you know is interested or selling a nice Egret please let me know.
    Thanks guys.

Darkside,
    I might be interested. I've got a 1996 C/K 18 w/ F150 (2.5 years old/200 hours). Not sure why you think motor is too heavy. Boat jumps on plane with new SDS Yamaha prop. I often fish with myself (150 lbs), my 12 year old son(95 lbs), his friend (120 lbs.) and his dad (300 lbs.) with 1,2, or all 3 livewells full with no issues. In fact this is my second one with an F150.
    I bought boat from Andy Mill 3 years ago and completely retrofitted the boat, changing everything for new except steering wheel, compass, fuel and freshwater tanks, battery charger, and console handrails.
    I briefly owned a Marquesa in 2004 but sold it to a close friend and have fished it numerous times in numerous places and have often reconsidered going back to one. And I like most of what you said you had done to your boat.
    SO please send pics and let me do some thinking......

Thanks
    Roto I know you have owned some very nice egrets. Got any ideas where a nice used one can be found.
    Sounds like Bob wasn't ready for a change. I would call the factory and check Boat Trader Online. Good luck.
    The Egret Flyingdutchman has is top notch. You should consider it. He can sell that boat quickly if he lists it.
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    The Egret Flyingdutchman has is top notch. You should consider it. He can sell that boat quickly if he lists it.

Got any contact info or pics/specs of the boat.
  • FlyingdutchmanFlyingdutchman Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    Darkside 18,
    No need to send pics. My more logical side of my brain has taken over and I'm going to be keeping my boat. As much live baiting as I do with my son and as much as he would prefer being just off the beach the majority of the year, I can't realistically consider trading boats.
    Sorry for the misdirection.
    Flyingdutchman no problem. Anyone else out there looking to trade or sell their egret. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Pictures are finally posted.
    I saw the pictures the boat is very clean for a 14 year old boat. You should be able to get 10 to $12,000 as trade in $15,000 if you sell it direct. I don't see a trade happening the dollars are just not there. Good Luck.
    Saltwater Junkie,
    You must not know the HB market. Used beat up skiffs go for $25K and nice clean skiffs from that era go for 30K-32K and this one has a transom up grade/ as well as everything else just like the new 2015 models only built better like the Miami Egrets. Boats easily worth 35K as new ones go for $62k-65K. I've had a couple offers already but was not in the market to just sell. I do not want to be boatless as I said in my previous posts.
    Thanks for the input though. :Spittingcoffee
    Who did the transom work on it?
    Tom Gordon did all the work. Third one he's done.