Home Egret Boats

Trade my Marquesa for an Egret

Darkside18Darkside18 Posts: 28 Greenhorn
THIS BOAT IS NOW FOR SALE IN THE FS CLASSIFIED.

Hello all.
I am considering trading my Hellsbay Marquesa 18 for an Egret 18. I'm looking for a bigger skiff as I find myself using the trolling motor more and more and poling less and less. I'm very familiar with the Egret 18 as I owned one in the past. It was an 1998 Miami Carbon Kevlar edition. If you or anyone you know maybe interested please let me know. Thanks in advance.

OK here's the quick specs on the Marquesa for those of you interested.
Year: 2002
Color: Guide skiff green
Power: 2002 Yamaha 90 2 stroke (257 original hours)
Trailer: Ramlin Aluminum trailer (new tires, bearings, carpet, lights)
GPS: 740 Garmin
Trolling Motor: 24 volt minnkota with removable bracket
Batteries: Seavolt AGM 24 (3 of them)

Here's what has been done to the boat.
Boat was fully restored and updated 3-4 months ago by Tom Gordon.

Here's a quick list of some of the things he did.
1. Brand new gas tank
2. Brand new non-skid
3. Brand new transom (Enclosed transom like the new 2015 model) Boat runs awesome and spins on a dime now.
4. All new plumbing and new (Fiberglass) access hatch to pumps.
5. Brand new aluminum rod holders.
6. All new stainless steel latches
7. Complete rewire
8. New gaskets/springs

Basically the boat is almost brand new. I would rated it at an 8.5/9 out of 10 as I am real picky about my boats.

I will post some pictures when I can. Hopefully tonight or tomorrow.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks,
Darkside18

Replies

• Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    Just sell the boat and buy an Egret. Your boat will sell quicker than an Egret. I have owned three Egrets and now own the Marquesas. The Marquesas will go anywhere the 189 does. You may want the 2011 Egret.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • Darkside18Darkside18 Posts: 28 Greenhorn
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    Just sell the boat and buy an Egret. Your boat will sell quicker than an Egret. I have owned three Egrets and now own the Marquesas. The Marquesas will go anywhere the 189 does. You may want the 2011 Egret.

Renagade69
    If I remember correct you had a 2011 last and sold it for the Marquesas. What set up to you have on the Marquesas. Motor/speed/fuel economy if you don't mind. If I don't end up trading it for a bird i'll probably slap the new 115 sho on and go.
  • polepositionpoleposition Posts: 1,053 Officer

I would NOT want to take the Marquesas where I go if only for the amount of freeboard and horsepower. Both come in handy when handling big water that has become snotty. I hit the towers with mine over here and NO WAY I try that in a Marq. One would think that it (HB) would go far shallower than the 18'9 and that would seem to be at least one of the trade-offs as well as FnF.. Also, your statement about the HB selling quicker is not meaningful. Which boat sells quicker is going to depend on price, condition, market, TIMING and a little luck/coincidence. Now if you are talking about which one will have better residual value, then one would sure think both would do well with the HB faring better.

But hey, why confuse the situation with logic.
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer

They are two very different boats so I'm going to say, Not exactly...
    I would NOT want to take the Marquesas where I go if only for the amount of freeboard and horsepower. Both come in handy when handling big water that has become snotty. I hit the towers with mine over here and NO WAY I try that in a Marq. One would think that it (HB) would go far shallower than the 18'9 and that would seem to be at least one of the trade-offs as well as FnF.. Also, your statement about the HB selling quicker is not meaningful. Which boat sells quicker is going to depend on price, condition, market, TIMING and a little luck/coincidence. Now if you are talking about which one will have better residual value, then one would sure think both would do well with the HB faring better.

But hey, why confuse the situation with logic.

Or Facts. I did not want to put down Egret Boats. I have mad respect for them.

Truth of the matter is Hells Bay has Branded their company 900% better than Egret has with far better marketing , they have sponsored big name captains that promote them daily, they have a parts department with tumblers, development department, marketing department, three owners tournaments a year, donate to conservation generously, the fit and finish is the best in the industry, have education seminars with the best in fishing , the wiring is flawless, and will never sacrifice anything for quality. These are facts. This is why Hells Bay boats sell quicker. No one there is playing boat company. Its the real deal.

I can assure you that I can go anywhere the 189 goes.

I do not want to start a war over what boat is better. My only point I was making was that Because of the marketing machine Hells Bay is ,they should sell quicker.
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,390 Officer
    The Hells Bay Marquesa is a great platform rides and fishes well for it's size and it's designed intentions. Yes it will go shallower pole easier and displaces water differently than a Egret 189.
    The Egret 189 will be more stable at rest have a better ride in rough water higher sides along with a self bailing cockpit for confidence in taking it out inlets and passes. Also the Egret has more range given the larger fuel capacity allot more usable storage and rod lockers along with double the live well capacity.
    As far as resale depends on the market at the time and how well the boat has been taken care of. I would sell the Hells Bay outright then look for the boat you want.
  • Darkside18Darkside18 Posts: 28 Greenhorn
    guys as I said I have had both. Both boats are extremely nice and have different usage. I'm really not interested in selling. Both boats are hard to find and I'm not willing to wait forever for a bird to come up. I fish a lot with my young son now and I'm live baiting more and more. Two livewells would be nice and it still fits in my garage. I just wanted to see if anyone with an egret was interested in a nice Marquesa.
    OK so then why entertain a trade if you don't want to part with the Marquesa !
    Buy a Egret and have the best two boats done deal.

This should turn into multiple pages of nonsense! :funnypost
  • roto7777roto7777 Posts: 2,545 Captain

Truth of the matter is Hells Bay has Branded their company 900% better than Egret has with far better marketing , they have sponsored big name captains that promote them daily, they have a parts department with tumblers, development department, marketing department, three owners tournaments a year, donate to conservation generously, the fit and finish is the best in the industry, have education seminars with the best in fishing , the wiring is flawless, and will never sacrifice anything for quality. These are facts. This is why Hells Bay boats sell quicker. No one there is playing boat company. Its the real deal.

I do not want to start a war over what boat is better. My only point I was making was that Because of the marketing machine Hells Bay is ,they should sell quicker.

That is partially correct. The branding is much better, and yes, they sponsor big name captains, along with a ton of small name captains. The problem with that is there is always discounted captains boats on the market. That hurts resale of the average joe's boat, that he paid full retail for.

JMO

Both are nice sleds
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-You are acting silly. Which boat sells "faster" is no way to measure value in a meaningful way.
    - if you really think the Marquesa is as good an open water boat as an Egret...and I'm talking safety here, not some subjective ride quality BS, then that's all I need to know about you.
    - Neither boat is better. They are different.
    - I need to remember why I visit and post less with this crowd and make it never in consideration of all involved
    -You are acting silly. Which boat sells "faster" is no way to measure value in a meaningful way.
    - if you really think the Marquesa is as good an open water boat as an Egret...and I'm talking safety here, not some subjective ride quality BS, then that's all I need to know about you.
    - Neither boat is better. They are different.
    - I need to remember why I visit and post less with this crowd and make it never in consideration of all involved

You are still not reading what I post correctly. I said the Marquesas will go anywhere the Egret will go. I never said it would handle the rough water as good.The Egret is a little smoother in chop. They are two different hulls .
    I was telling the op that he may be able to sell the Marquesas quickly and offer cash for a bird. I think the HB would sell for more than he thinks . He may make out better selling it because of "Brand" recognition right now. Then pay less money for the Egret in the used market.

It looks like I stepped on some Egos here. If you get offended easy then the forum may not be safe for your health.

This was not a debate about what boat is better. I have no clue why you are going there. This has been said so many times. Boats are tradeoffs depending on what you plan on doing.
    roto7777 wrote: »
    That is partially correct. The branding is much better, and yes, they sponsor big name captains, along with a ton of small name captains. The problem with that is there is always discounted captains boats on the market. That hurts resale of the average joe's boat, that he paid full retail for.

JMO

Both are nice sleds

They have 6 Pro Staff guides they sponsor. The market does not flood with these boats. Andy Mills Boat is for sale right now on their web site. That will not last long.
    They have 6 Pro Staff guides they sponsor. The market does not flood with these boats. Andy Mills Boat is for sale right now on their web site. That will not last long.

There are different levels of sponsorship....Trust me the little known named guides that do not have TV shows also get a break on pricing.
    Page 2 :Popcorn
  • 91tiger91tiger Posts: 555 Officer
    I sold my 11 year old Hells Bay Guide (much less popular hull than the Marquesa) within a week of having it listed without having to move on price. I immediately told Frank to start my build of my Egret within an hour of it selling. I totally agree with going ahead and selling and plow the cash back into the boat you want rather than trying to arrange a trade.

I sold my Hells Bay for exactly the same reasons, I was using the trolling motor more and more rather than poling. Both are great boats but I have no regrets at all on making the switch.
  • Last-CastLast-Cast Posts: 219 Deckhand
    FlatsBoy wrote: »
    Page 2 :Popcorn

Pass the pop corn please :thumbsup
    Egret 189
    Maverick 17T sold
  • trponhuntertrponhunter Posts: 249 Deckhand
    I've got no dog in this fight - but I am a boating junkie and shop all the time. Truth is, there is nothing like a hell's bay for resale value. Egrets are real good - but not quite hells bay good. The market for them never gets flooded and the guides who get deals don't drop their shorts when selling them - they don't need to.
    *Previous - 2000 Egret 189 carbon w/ vmax 150 - twin rotating prop
    *Previous - 2008 Egret 189 carbon w/ ETEC 150
    *Previous 2010 Beavertail Vengence w/ETEC 90
    *Current - 2015 Beavertail BTV w/ Suzuki 90
    I've got no dog in this fight - but I am a boating junkie and shop all the time. Truth is, there is nothing like a hell's bay for resale value. Egrets are real good - but not quite hells bay good. The market for them never gets flooded and the guides who get deals don't drop their shorts when selling them - they don't need to.

Hopefully this will never happen. But let see what their resale value is going to be when they start closing off shallow water areas where people pole their boats.
    Hopefully this will never happen. But let see what their resale value is going to be when they start closing off shallow water areas where people pole their boats.

I feel page 3 coming! :Popcorn:Popcorn
  • TGunnTGunn Posts: 1,919 Captain
    90% of the guys I know who have a >HB-- catch a lot of fish.

10% of Egret owners seem to catch fish. The rest just talk dirty to each other on internet forums.

Good luck Darkside. I know the Egret guys will be rooting for you to help them out a bit. FlatsBoy has been trying to recruit me for years.
    TGunn wrote: »

10% of Egret owners seem to catch fish. The rest just talk dirty to each other on internet forums.

Good luck Darkside. I know the Egret guys will be rooting for you to help them out a bit. FlatsBoy has been trying to recruit me for years.

..and 100% of Backwater owners will ALWAYS find an Egret thread as soon as it remotely smells like this one. Just say'n.
  • HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    There are different levels of sponsorship....Trust me the little known named guides that do not have TV shows also get a break on pricing.

Both this and the statement about the market flooding with cheaper guide boats are false.

I have spoken with multiple HB sponsored guides recently and some of the more experienced guides even complained that they only offer one discounted program for the guides. Ok maybe there are a very select few that have a different deal because of a true exception like a TV show, but that is not material in the overall market.

Also the used guide boats for HB do not sell at a discount simply because they were bought at a discount. I recently bought one and spent a lot of time studying the market. I know guides with boats from 2002 that can (and would) sell their boat for more than they bought it for today.

Why would captains drop their pants when there is no need whatsoever to do this? Money is money and YES the HBs sell incredibly fast if priced fairly! I was the first caller on the boat I bought. I literally saw boats sell in 20 minutes on Microskiff. I saw the factory sell a 2001 Waterman with 2001 Merc 40hp tiller for $19K when they were asking $20K and the boat was in crappy condition!

Part of the reason resale has been so incredibly good on these boats is because of the price inflation from the factory on new boats and yes because of their marketing. Marketing sells boats, new or used. HB does a lot of marketing all over the place. Egret sells more by word of mouth. Egret also holds its value well but you cannot simply disregard HB marketing as a factor in all this. They run TV ads for christs sake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In effort to get this thing to 4 pages. Maybe the OP with the trader boat he want to trade will post some photos. This going to the darkside from an Egret and then back to Egret only confirms the fact that Egrets are a better all around boat. If you want to argue that then please start by posting the USCG test for the Hells Bay.
    They are two very different boats so I'm going to say, Not exactly...

Just remember that on page 1 I said that they are two different boats...
    TGunn wrote: »

This is why I bought a HB. But then I remembered that 99% of Lake and Bay owners catch fish so I guess I phucked up again!

In effort to get this thing to 4 pages. Maybe the OP with the trader boat he want to trade will post some photos. This going to the darkside from an Egret and then back to Egret only confirms the fact that Egrets are a better all around boat. If you want to argue that then please start by posting the USCG test for the Hells Bay.

I would rather see the fishing reports from the two groups of owners than some USCG test. MyHB won't sink far in 6" of water anyway, and I've been catching a lot of fish at that depth.

I would rather see the fishing reports from the two groups of owners than some USCG test. MyHB won't sink far in 6" of water anyway, and I've been catching a lot of fish at that depth.

Let's not go there, cause I know a guy that knows a guy that fishes in Government Cut in an Egret. It's a little deeper than 6"inches over there. Keep Smilin.
    I know that guy! You're right, no way in hell he would take the professional over there.

He told me the Egret is more accommodating for invited coeds that want a "moonlight tour of Miami. "

31241d5b334bf2fc094b2e539e5cc398.jpg

7255d68666e34aa700760b6b9a2fc0d9.jpg

I know that guy! You're right, no way in hell he would take the professional over there.

He told me the Egret is more accommodating for invited coeds that want a "moonlight tour of Miami. "

31241d5b334bf2fc094b2e539e5cc398.jpg

7255d68666e34aa700760b6b9a2fc0d9.jpg

OMG...The stories I can tell about that beach in the upper right hand corner:grin
    This going to the darkside from an Egret and then back to Egret only confirms the fact that Egrets are a better all around boat. If you want to argue that then please start by posting the USCG test for the Hells Bay.

The bird is the best all around boat if you are a canal fisherman that loves riding in an old 19 ft Mako hull with a flats top on it.
    Seriously. I was kidding. Thats very subjective to opinion. Everyone wants their boat to be the best all around ride. Facts are that no one boat is going to do that. I wanted to sneak up on fish in the flats and still get in rough water. I may think I have the best all around boat. NOT. There is no perfect boat. There is just perfect days and hopefully we can all get out there and fish them .