Replacing 2 stroke with 4 stroke COST ???

remel1993remel1993 Posts: 521 Officer
Ok, so after countless unreliable trips out on our 21ft proline with a 97 oceanrunner, we decided its time to replace it with a used 4 stroke. We just got done repainting the boat and thought now would be a good time to consider doing it.
The ocean runner has good compression on all cylinders and sparks great, sometimes just wont rev past 2000k rpm. Other times would run like a baby. Dont want to spend the extra $$$ fixing it even if its minor.
So how much is the engine worth? Im ball parking roughly $3000 for the running engine.
Ive seen some used 2005 Verado 250s go for $7000 as well as yamaha 250s same price.
How much would it cost to uninstall the oceanrunner with controls and install the 4 stroke assuming it comes with all controls?

Thanks for all feedback!
If I dont answer my phone call, either Im fishing or riding my motorcycle. -Salty Bike Life

Replies

• draileydrailey Posts: 113 Officer
    Hate to burst your bubble, but, 1500. max I would say. Not cutting down you engine at all, but older 2 strokes are dino's.
  • CubanCaptainCubanCaptain Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    Dinos, lol...
  • latitudeajustmentlatitudeajustment Posts: 2,001 Captain
    I still run a 96 Erude 225, basically same engine....runs like a charm now but obviously have kept it up to snuff even after a few problems the last few years....I would personally would go back and tinker and diagnose the engine....from new fuel filters, treat the gas, clean the carbs, install new carbs, decarb the fuel system, possibly install new fuel lines, check or replace the plugs, etc...sounds like it may be overheating if it goes into limp mode, have you changed the impeller. What about the fuel pump (VRO) or maybe you premix? If there is an oil tank have you cleaned it out and replaced the filter. Maybe more issues but if compression is good I would try and get it running good and then decide to sell it...but only my HO.
  • cookin outcookin out Posts: 235 Deckhand
    remel1993 wrote: »
    Ok, so after countless unreliable trips out on our 21ft proline with a 97 oceanrunner, we decided its time to replace it with a used 4 stroke. We just got done repainting the boat and thought now would be a good time to consider doing it.
    The ocean runner has good compression on all cylinders and sparks great, sometimes just wont rev past 2000k rpm. Other times would run like a baby.!

Nothing worse than having an engine you dont have confidence in. I had the exact same problem many years ago and nobody, even multiple dealers could figure it out. However, I got lucky. Some dumb SOB stole mine off the back of the boat....

I guess the question for you is, would you feel good selling that motor to someone knowing there are issues? Trading it to a dealer would be the way to go in my opinion.
  • ParkPark Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    Cookin, I agree about not having confidence in your engine. However, where do you think that problem child ends up when you trade it to a dealer? Either fix it or sell it with a full disclosure of the problems. Just my opinion.
  • cookin outcookin out Posts: 235 Deckhand
    Agreed, Didn't mean for it to read that way. I would never sell someone something I new was not right, not even a dealer.
  • smooth movesmooth move Posts: 412 Deckhand
    cookin out wrote: »
    Nothing worse than having an engine you dont have confidence in. I had the exact same problem many years ago and nobody, even multiple dealers could figure it out. However, I got lucky. Some dumb SOB stole mine off the back of the boat....

I guess the question for you is, would you feel good selling that motor to someone knowing there are issues? Trading it to a dealer would be the way to go in my opinion.
    i completely lost confidence in my 02-200 hpdi and bought a new f 200 lb yamaha. sold the old motor with a total explanation of the problems i was having with it. the buyer said he could fix it. haven't heard back from him
    le se' bon ton roulet