Home Egret Boats

Ladder for Egret

silverdreamssilverdreams Posts: 234 Deckhand
Here's another option for a ladder on an egret with the removeable push pole holders. Wife and kids wanted a ladder and it does make it nice for snorkeling. I would have liked to have it off the transom, but I have transom mounted trolling motors and there was too much hardware on the transom with the trim tabs and trolling motors and I didn't want one of my kids to slip and cut themselves. The ladder would also work better using the rear push pole holder, but it wouldn't work on my boat with where the rear push pole holder was located. The ladder was made by Bausch Enterprises in Stuart and I'm going to have them tweak a couple things, like putting an interior sleeve into the end so I can store it in a rod holder off the platform to get it out of the way. It also stores in the main front large compartment and I can still put all of my tackle bags in that compartment. It's a bit cumbersome, but it does work well.

Replies

• Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 606 Officer
    That will make the Mrs. Happy
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    Either you are mechanically inclined ore your not. The fact you had to ask told me that you can not do it. Its ok, not every one has this ability. Some people just have to pay.
  • polepositionpoleposition Posts: 1,053 Officer
    Looking for something just like it. A few questions:

- Did Frank confirm that the cap deck is built well enough to take that weight/torque on it? Continually hauling my cookies out of the water would put a great deal of strain on that one area I would think
    - Do you feel the last step is really necessary? It looks like the top two might be enough making it a little easier to stow.

Thanks for sharing.
  • silverdreamssilverdreams Posts: 234 Deckhand
    I sent Frank a picture of it, but he didn't comment on it. Bausch does a lot of OEM work for Pursuit and others, in fact they did the poling platforms for a while when they were built in Miami, so I trusted their judgement. With the legs against the side of the boat, that takes up a lot of the weight so the force is just really vertically and not at a radius. Here is another picture from the side.

I am 230 and I climbed up in it on the trailer and didn't notice any flex or strain.......in the water, you have the benefit of buoyancy with the water.

I wouldn't shorten the ladder unless you move it to the back......it looks like it's longer than necessary, but I think that's the camera angle. In actual use, it's still a pretty good step up to get to the bottom step. There is a rubber gasket under the aluminum plate for the ladder, so although the pic shows the legs standing off a bit from the hull, once you put any weight on it it is solid against the hull.
  • Darkside18Darkside18 Posts: 28 Greenhorn
    Silverdreams this is off topic but I wanted to get your opinion on the differences between the 189 and 2011 now that you've had both. Can you please give me the good and the bad between the two. Interested in a used 189 or new 2011 and trying to decide. Thanks.
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    Darkside18 wrote: »
    Silverdreams this is off topic but I wanted to get your opinion on the differences between the 189 and 2011 now that you've had both. Can you please give me the good and the bad between the two. Interested in a used 189 or new 2011 and trying to decide. Thanks.

If you ever want to pole the boat get the 189. But if you are going to use a trolling motor on the 189, just buy the 2011. The 2011 is a whole new world when you compare the ride between the two. Good Luck...Pete
    For me, the benefit of the 189 was it fit easier in the garage.......the 2011 also fits, but on an angle, not straight back. Most of my fishing is in the inlets, running the beach tarpon fishing and nearshore/offshore when conditions allow......so for me the 2011 was nicer. Also, my wife and 2 kids (10 and 8) are often on the boat with me so the extra space is nice. I did not think 2' would make that much of a difference, but the stability with the bigger boat is more than I thought it would be.
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 949 Officer
    For me, the benefit of the 189 was it fit easier in the garage.......the 2011 also fits, but on an angle, not straight back. Most of my fishing is in the inlets, running the beach tarpon fishing and nearshore/offshore when conditions allow......so for me the 2011 was nicer. Also, my wife and 2 kids (10 and 8) are often on the boat with me so the extra space is nice. I did not think 2' would make that much of a difference, but the stability with the bigger boat is more than I thought it would be.

I love the ride and it would clearly work for me the way I run and fish. It's just the layout design of the front deck doesn't work for me as I think it would always bother me looking at the asymmetry of the 3 hatches. If they would rework that to make it symmetrical and functional, I would move into it as overall the platform would be better for my needs. But as it is, I am redoing the deck and color on my 189 for the 3rd time and switching out to the 4 stroke merc 150.
  • Darkside18Darkside18 Posts: 28 Greenhorn
    I agree with you. The front deck really looks like an after thought. I would have like to see an additional foot in the cockpit and 6" or so on the deck front and back. If they do something different like you said I'd be lot more interested.
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,390 Officer
    Sounds like the Moccasin layout is for you guys then. You just loose the rod lockers.
    I liked the anchor locker on the 189 better because it was deeper and I definitely like the gutters on the Florida boats better, but the front deck layout is fine for me.......the front livewell is great for crabs when I tarpon fish and I'm sure it will work great with other live bait for snook fishing docks.....and the cast net storage is great.......if I gill a bunch of small pilchards or glass minnows, the drain for the cast net well is straight down and out, a 2" hole I believe, so I never worry about getting "mysterious" baits hidden in the well or drains that smell great the next day with the boat in the garage. I would say that the functionality grows on you to the point where I don't care about the symmetry differences. But I understand that everyone is wired differently.

I really love the ability to put the 250 sho on the boat and it's 505 pounds compared to 428 for the 175 Vmax 2 stroke I had on the 189......the extra displacement carries the engine just fine and I think my 21 floats shallower than my 189 did......so for me I really like the bigger boat. And the back livewell is huge.