Sport fishermen win greater share of red snapper catch

2»

Replies

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 9,810 Admiral
    Somebody forgot their Thorazine...
    Bless your wittle heart.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Riptide31Riptide31 Posts: 478 Deckhand
    All of these regulations need to be thrown in the trash, wipe slate clean and start over with equal numbers of rec/comm interests on these councils. Just got an update letter from SAFMC about who is running their ship now. New chair worked for EDF x 10 yrs prior to this. Oh yeah, I'm sure we recs are going to get a fair shake out of this. Not to worry though, as the vice chair is non other than a commercial seafood business person. How could recs ever dream to have any fair ruling when everyone who makes the decisions obviously has an agenda that either favors the commercial side of the fishery or banning fishing all together?
    Riptide31 wrote: »
    All of these regulations need to be thrown in the trash, wipe slate clean and start over with equal numbers of rec/comm interests on these councils. Just got an update letter from SAFMC about who is running their ship now. New chair worked for EDF x 10 yrs prior to this. Oh yeah, I'm sure we recs are going to get a fair shake out of this. Not to worry though, as the vice chair is non other than a commercial seafood business person. How could recs ever dream to have any fair ruling when everyone who makes the decisions obviously has an agenda that either favors the commercial side of the fishery or banning fishing all together?
    I felt the same way at every MFC meeting when Russ Nelson was in charge of staff (pre netban). Welcome to the ****ty side of life sir.

Hope it fits y'all well.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Got TA GoGot TA Go Posts: 2,608 Captain
    ....."Roy Crabtree, regional administrator for the National Marine Fisheries Service, said management of red snapper has helped the stock recover and rebuild.

For instance, red snapper had disappeared off the coast of Florida near St. Petersburg 15 years ago, he said. "They're back all the way down to the (Florida) Keys now," he added. "We've made huge progress."

:huh

Roy asked me years ago when I got involved with the snapper issue, " Why do you care Rob, you don't catch Red Snapper in the Keys?"

Obviously, he was wrong then, as he is wrong now. We've always caught them here.

But since they don't study down here...they just say that there aren't any here.
    www.gottagofishinginkeywest.com

Hero's Don't Wear Capes....They Wear Dog Tags.
  • Got TA GoGot TA Go Posts: 2,608 Captain
    BubbaII wrote: »
    And all those years you fished 194 days with a 4 fish bag limit, you blew the rec quota big time. Judge said you can't do that anymore. What part of a federal judge intervening in the Council's ineptitude don't you get?

Umm BubbaII.... You forgot to factor in a very important account fact.

The Rec take, which included Charter/Headboat was accounted by using the MRFSS data, which is now the MRIP Data. That data is so highly unreliable, the scientists who designed it don't even use it in the SEDAR data.

I'm pretty sure if they won't use it for a stock assessment, you probably should look for another way to make whatever point it is you are making.

And you might want to factor in that since the quotas are based on tonnage of fish as opposed to numbers of actual fish.. The Comms direct their catches at the smaller specimens, as you pointed out, meaning that they Comms are removing a much larger number of fish to fill their quota to reach the poundage they are allowed.

With Recs targeting the larger fish, they are reaching the quota faster by catching fewer fish.

Let me know if there is anything there that you don't understand so that maybe I can find a better way to explain the numbers to you.

Rob
    www.gottagofishinginkeywest.com

Hero's Don't Wear Capes....They Wear Dog Tags.
  • Riptide31Riptide31 Posts: 478 Deckhand
    Thank God you are on there Rob. We appreciate the time and effort you sacrifice.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,292 Admiral
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,319 Officer
    surfman wrote: »

Sure wish Florida had a Congressman with that mentality.
  • Tarpon MonoxideTarpon Monoxide Posts: 532 Officer
    Don't get to giddy about the recreational fisherman's greater share of red snapper because for now it is only on paper.

Since Roy Crabtree and corrupt company continually use very bad slight of hand, what they say the recreational fisherman will get on paper is not what they will get in reality.

Don't be fooled again.
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,069 AG
    Some of you haven't seen this show.

Some of the statements made got me sick to my stomach.
    http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/bayarea/business/article/Big-Fish-Texas-reality-TV-show-to-star-6785504.php

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
    Looks like a must watch to me.
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »
    Looks like a must watch to me.

I'm sure you'll have a laugh a minute...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • Saw it the other night.
    Gulf of Mexico "SHAREHOLDERS ALLIANCE"
    One company has 1/4 of the quota of Red Snapper for the whole gulf.
    And NO this sector separation/allocation of quota has had no effect on the little guy.
    Or the recs.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
    Mango Man wrote: »
    Some of you haven't seen this show.

Some of the statements made got me sick to my stomach.
    http://www.chron.com/neighborhood/bayarea/business/article/Big-Fish-Texas-reality-TV-show-to-star-6785504.php

Should change the title to something a bit more appropriate. Perhaps , Gulf Rapists Caught in the Act or Watch me profit at the publics expense. Would be more suitable.
    Just a thought..........
    Saw it the other night.
    Gulf of Mexico "SHAREHOLDERS ALLIANCE"
    One company has 1/4 of the quota of Red Snapper for the whole gulf.
    And NO this sector separation/allocation of quota has had no effect on the little guy.
    Or the recs.
    axe me what affect it had on me....

I was awarded 11% of my catch.. with no voice in the tally.

But, I wasn't one of the class 1 permit holders that battled it out on the 10 day openers, regardless of the weather and market price.
    drgibby wrote: »
    Should change the title to something a bit more appropriate. Perhaps , Gulf Rapists Caught in the Act or Watch me profit at the publics expense. Would be more suitable.
    Just a thought..........
    pisses you off that they make more in one year doing nothing than you will make in a lifetime?

Maybe you ought to put your woman to work.:grin

Two income household is the norm these days.
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »
    pisses you off that they make more in one year doing nothing than you will make in a lifetime?

Maybe you ought to put your woman to work.:grin

Two income household is the norm these days.

I will give you D-minus for effort. Pretty good for you I might add. I do admire the fact that you always resort to a more personal attack when you read something true about the commercial sector that gets your hackels up. I can relate I was in elementary school once.
    Yes it pisses me off when a small percent of the population controls a large percent of a public resource. But I will not allow you to goad me down to your level.
    Have a nice day.
    Have a nice day!
    drgibby wrote: »
    I will give you D-minus for effort. Pretty good for you I might add. I do admire the fact that you always resort to a more personal attack when you read something true about the commercial sector that gets your hackels up. I can relate I was in elementary school once.
    Yes it pisses me off when a small percent of the population controls a large percent of a public resource. But I will not allow you to goad me down to your level.
    Have a nice day.
    Have a nice day!
    You are already there and thank you, I will!:)
  • Redstripe69Redstripe69 Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    If you Keys guys don't like being lumped in with Fishermen from mid to North Florida, How do you think us in SC who still have an unreal fishery like getting lumped in with any of Florida.....It sucks. They have been successful in dividing recs and commercial, Screw Pew.
  • You guys have no idea. After 12 years on NMFS panels, we have seen the organization of the Enviro's vs the piecemeal effort by the sport fishing interests. The other side meets year long to put those special little words and ideas into the system and it may take years but they always get what they want.