Cedar Key Channel 4 8/9

Hey guys,

I figure I would post since Gator4life showed us what's up south of town.

Me and a buddy hit the water at 8:15 Sunday morning. This was the first time I have taken him out on the boat, so I knew I would take full advantage of his Beginners Luck. It sure did payoff.

Headed north a few miles from the Marina towards shell mound and started fishing the outer islands. We had a great Redfish bite during the last half of incoming all the way through half outgoing.
High tide was about 10:00. Red's bit till about 11:00, then it was so damned hot, we started catching giant Sailcats. We could still SEE the redfish, but they were lethargic as the heat rose, so the Catfish beat them to the punch.

Live shrimp and cut Ladyfish were the bait of the day. We caught a few on Gold Spoons, but the water is so dark, the only hits we got on spoons were throwing over a white sand bar, and reeling back across. I honestly think the fish couldn't see the spoon. I could only see the top half of my white Minn Kota the water was so dark .

We finished the day with 3 26"-28" Redfish, a nice 21" trout that made the ride back to Gainesville, and about 15 or so 17" and smaller Reds.

We played with a school of Black Drum for awhile, but again, the damned catfish kept us from catching one.

All in all, a great day in Cedar key.

Water was 82 degrees in the am, I think about 85 degrees when the catfish started biting on the falling tide. Seems the reds were hungry early in the am before the water on the bars heated up too much.

Replies

• Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,926 Captain
    Nice job Sean, I was jealous I didn't do any redfishing on Sunday, but scallops were on the menu and we weren't on my boat. The offshore bite sucked.
  • Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,845 Captain
    Glad you caught some nice fish amid the kitties!
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    Nice fish...
    You would be surprise on the dark water... I fish the dark waters of Waccasassa and the Reds don't have a problem finding a spoon. WithThe vibration of the lure they can find it. Look at a lot of freshwater fishing...
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • huntentailshuntentails Posts: 1,697 Captain
    Nice
    :beer
    58c3c16f-8a45-4d30-b16f-bc3107cf4657_zpsplzwx9u1.jpg0af8c5e9-faa1-4c9d-81d3-c711ee6ce6e3_zpsojsft7fc.jpg
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,610 Captain
    Nice day on the water.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • me3260me3260 Posts: 102 Officer
    Redbonz wrote: »
    Nice fish...
    You would be surprise on the dark water... I fish the dark waters of Waccasassa and the Reds don't have a problem finding a spoon. WithThe vibration of the lure they can find it. Look at a lot of freshwater fishing...

That is a good point I guess. I am just kind of new to Spoon fishing, but find it a really enjoyable way to fish. I will have to keep my faith in the Spoon :)

I guess I just assumed with as tannic as the water was ,they were having a tough time finding it. We did real well on Cut Ladyfish (of course) and Shrimp, so I guess I need to keep throwing that spoon to get more practice.
  • Gator4LifeGator4Life Gainesville,FlPosts: 576 Officer
    Nice Reds!! It was a hot one Sunday that's for sure. The reds stopped biting for us about the same time. We could see some big boils but couldn't get them to bite. Assuming it was Reds? I tried a spoon also for a little with no luck. Caught ours on mud minnows. Glad to see a CK report. Especially when it's a good one like yours. :beer
    Grasshopper
  • Biggary16Biggary16 Posts: 469 Deckhand
    Nice day on the water. Good job on those nice reds!
  • jlojlo Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    me3260 wrote: »
    That is a good point I guess. I am just kind of new to Spoon fishing, but find it a really enjoyable way to fish. I will have to keep my faith in the Spoon :)

I guess I just assumed with as tannic as the water was ,they were having a tough time finding it. We did real well on Cut Ladyfish (of course) and Shrimp, so I guess I need to keep throwing that spoon to get more practice.

If you get tired of the spoon, try the floating rat l traps. I like gold, silver/blue or silver/black. As soon as it hits an oyster, don't set the hook lol, give it slack and many times it will rise back up and you can slow roll it over the top.