Yankee Capts Pulley Ridge "Lite" trip 8/5-8

This is a few days late. I received an automatic upgrade to Windows 10 and it’s like trying to write in Chinese.

The Pulley Ridge "Lite" trip is not a deep drop trip we fished the shoals around Pulley Ridge in 200 - 400 ft of water. This trip is intended to be fished with manual reels making electric reels unnecessary. I made a last minute decision to go when I found out they had a fairly light (no pun intended) load. Also this particular trip was leaving at an unusual time, 2 pm. This meant I would have to load all my gear the night before and get up at 3 am to make the drive to Stock Island.
Even though I made several stops along the way I still arrived around 11 am.

It wasn't long before the mates helped me load my gear on board. Eventually the rest of the anglers for the trip started to show up and then it was time to leave.
The great weather departing Stock Island promised a smooth ride out to the fishing grounds.
IMG_0629%20800x800%20640x640.jpg
IMG_0635%20640x640.jpg
However, by the time we arrived at the fishing grounds around 3 am there was a brisk breeze blowing. It was tough fishing with a strong current and the wind requiring 24 – 32 oz of weight. I did manage to put the first the first 2 fish on the boat, 2 nice firetrucks. One right after the other. You can’t tell from the photographs but the red grouper have so much more color then red grouper from shallower water. In fact all the fish out here seem to be much more colorful for some reason.
IMG_0637%20640x640.jpg
There was a steady catch throughout most of the day with red grouper, yellow mouth and scamp groupers being the main catch. The red grouper were all almost the same size. I think there was only one "short" caught the whole trip.
IMG_0665%20640x640%20640x640.jpg
IMG_0663%20640x640.jpg
There were a few nice queen triggers (that were returned) and a few black fin tuna also caught. It was work bringing fish in fighting the current, your weight as well as the fish, however by evening the current had died and 8 oz was working fine. A few mutton snapper were caught around sundown but the bite was pretty slow during the rest of the night. Most people grabbed a few hours of much needed sleep.
The next morning sunrise over Pulley Ridge was beautiful and the fish were biting again even though the current had returned requiring heavy weights again.
IMG_0670%20totes.jpg
The rest of the day was pretty much a repeat of the previous day and before I realized it it was time to head home. Somewhere along the way someone caught about a 40 lb wahoo while trolling. There were also a few small kingfish caught here and there. If I counted correctly there were 11 full, heavy totes of fish.
IMG_0670%20640x640.jpg

Thanks goes out to the Capt and crew who did their usual great job.

Replies