3,000 miles away (Lots of pics)

My wife and I celebrated 10 years of marriage up in Vancouver Island, British Columbia. We had originally planned to go to Costa Rica and then changed plans to go to the Keys. At the last minute we opted for something totally different and went to VC, BC. We knew virtually nothing about the area but I had seen pictures and always wanted to visit the Pacific North West. So off we went.
The scenery is amazing. There is so much wildlife it is hard to believe. Seals, Whales, Dolphins, Deer, Elk, Bears, etc

IMG_1483_zpsyg2snpet.jpg

IMG_1443_zpsylq95jqn.jpg

IMG_1294_zpshcxujuab.jpg

We fished for 1.5 days for Chinook and Halibut. We actually only fished for halibut for about 3 hours due to the tides. The fishing is very different up there. They salmon fish with something they call a mooching reel and use 10’ rods, clipped to downriggers. It’s actually a lot like trolling with a 12wt fly rod. When the fish run they pull drag and the handle turns. It cost me a couple really nice fish forgetting to take my hand off the reel to let the fish run. All in all we caught A LOT of salmon including (1) 25lb halibut in 515’ of water.
Here is a shot of the rod/reel clipped into the downrigger:

IMG_1253_zpsaalqxiob.jpg

Fog rolled in and it was so thick it’s hard to describe. Really incredible.

IMG_1388_zpsrnjpshm6.jpg

Fish pics:

IMG_1403_zpsla2acnp5.jpg

IMG_1394_zpsjnjggdql.jpg

IMG_1336_zpsbmfcxepp.jpg

IMG_1301_zpsxxfkfupb.jpg

IMG_1362_zpsf1xpwn4e.jpg

IMG_1417_zps4yp0fvk0.jpg

Lots and lots of Dungeness crabs:

IMG_1354_zpscuwepzma.jpg

It was a ton of fun. I think we brought back about 70lbs of salmon and halibut. I am looking forward to going back next year.
Genesis 27:3 - Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.

Replies

• LilOrangeLilOrange Posts: 1,156 Officer
    Beautiful scenery. Looks like an awesome trip. Never been out that way & it's on my bucket list for one day. Thanks for sharing your adventure.

Congrats on the anniversary, BTW.

Livin' the Dream !
  • KlingerKlinger Posts: 1,696 Captain
    Never been West of Idaho, so this kind of trip is kind of on my bucket list! Just hope I don't run out of health or time :cry
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • BeckBeck Posts: 2,332 Captain
    Very cool trip!
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,043 AG
    Very nice. I would take the salmon over the halibut any day. Did you do an RV rental or stay in motels, B & B ??
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • Red FishRed Fish Posts: 1,163 Officer
    Flash wrote: »
    Very nice. I would take the salmon over the halibut any day. Did you do an RV rental or stay in motels, B & B ??

We actually stayed at a Best Western. I travel quite a bit for work and stay at some nice places around the country. I would have never thought a Best Western would be as nice as this place was. It was very nice and very reasonably priced.

http://www.prestigehotelsandresorts.com/locations/sooke/overview/

Next time we go back, I think we are gonna camp up north for 3-4 days.
    Genesis 27:3 - Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,043 AG
    I will be road tripping to Maine this year, but would love to fly back out West again. Oregon was a fav for us. Got some Salmon there too, but we RV'd it once we flew in. Maine will be in our Van, lodging in several places upstate and coastal.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • Red FishRed Fish Posts: 1,163 Officer
    I was up in Rhode Island earlier this week. I was really trying to get an opportunity to head up a few more miles north and see Maine. I have yet to make it there. Hopefully early next year I will get that way again with a little more time.