In the search for baby tarpon

Hi everyone,
I have recently become very interested in catching tarpon from the 5-15 lb range from a kayak before I head off to the fall college semester and away from all forms of fishing. I have caught quite a few in the mosquito ditches by the power plant but they have all been under 5 lbs. I am wondering if any of you have any experience of catching them in the Stuart or fort pierce area and if you have any tips for someone not familiar with the area (launch sites, general areas to search for rollers, and leader/lures). If anyone ever wants information on snook fishing in the Jupiter area I would be glad to help out. Thank you!
Inshore Only
Redfish 10'

Replies

• timmcollinstimmcollins Posts: 851 Officer
    Just at the break of dawn you can find them at the mouth of the Little Mud just north of the power plant on Hutch Island. Threw the kitchen sink but could never could get them to chew.
    If your looking for someone to Snook fish in Jupiter send me a PM. I'm looking to fish closer to home some times when the weather isn't favorable or too lazy to travel South or North.
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in one hand, Cheeseburger in the other, body well used and worn out and screaming WOO-HOO What a Ride!"
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,817 Captain
    find them at the mouth of the Little Mud just north of the power plant on Hutch Island.

One day wandered into the restricted zone at the Hutchin Island Power plant. Only had one strike, but metered alot of big tarpon in there before being asked to vacate the area.
  • AceDawgAceDawg Posts: 111 Officer
    Come up north and fish the banana river nmz, they are thick up there right now
  • guido4198guido4198 Posts: 2,245 Captain
    AceDawg wrote: »
    Come up north and fish the banana river nmz, they are thick up there right now

Where's a good place to launch up there..????
  • AceDawgAceDawg Posts: 111 Officer
    Kars Park, they charge $5 to launch, if you have the time and endurance launch from there and paddle up to buck creek, it's about a 4-5 mile paddle but worth it, but also make sure the weather and wind is good. I was up there last weekend and the mouth of the creek was loaded with baby tarpon and red fish were scattered on the shoreline Just before the creek
  • guido4198guido4198 Posts: 2,245 Captain
    Thanks for the reference to KARS. I'll check that out to see if they are open for launching EARLY...I like to be on the water at dawn most mornings..especially this time of year.