Home Conservation Forums

No bridge fishing in Florida?

miaimiwaxmiaimiwax Posts: 5 Deckhand
I was fishing off a bridge in North Miami that didn't have any "No Fishing"signs. An FWC officer came and lit me up and told me I had to leave because it was illegal to fish off any bridge in the state of Florida. It seemed absurd, but I didn't want to make a scene. Is that true? I mean there are plenty of bridges in the area that have signs saying "No Fishing", but again, this did not. The bridge in question was on Biscayne Blvd and 135 st. Thanks for any help.

Replies

• Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,452 Admiral
    Not true....depends on the jurisdiction
  • abacofeverabacofever Posts: 377 Officer
    I am going with.. 9\11 Changed everything. Homeland security gets involved and says.There will be no private vessels stopped under any Bridge upon any Navigable Waters maintained by the Corps of Engineers. Then D.O.T. followed. then Most States followed with similar rules.

It may depend ? but I doubt very much. If you were near any busy road or water way they are going to run you out.
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,301 Admiral
    I've never heard of a general ban on bridge fishing. Some bridges have signs but otherwise bridge fishing is a way of life in Fl.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • EricBeBassinEricBeBassin Posts: 34 Deckhand
    I got lit up by a cop while fishing a bridge down in Key Biscayne last week and asked him why it was illegal to fish there and he said in the state of Florida there is a law in place that it is illegal to fish off of any bridge that a boat can fit under. Makes sense when you think about it.
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,452 Admiral
    I got lit up by a cop while fishing a bridge down in Key Biscayne last week and asked him why it was illegal to fish there and he said in the state of Florida there is a law in place that it is illegal to fish off of any bridge that a boat can fit under. Makes sense when you think about it.

No such state law....possible county or city ordinance though
  • snookaffinitysnookaffinity Naples, FLPosts: 1,240 Officer
    State Statute

316.1305 Fishing from state road bridges.—
    (1) The Department of Transportation is authorized to investigate and determine whether it is detrimental to traffic safety or dangerous to human life for any person to fish from a state road bridge. When the Department of Transportation, after due investigation, determines that it is dangerous for persons to fish from such a bridge, it shall post appropriate signs on the bridge stating that fishing from the bridge is prohibited.
    (2) Fishing from a bridge upon which the Department of Transportation has posted signs as provided in subsection (1) is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a pedestrian violation as provided in chapter 318.
    (3) This section is cumulative and is not intended to repeal any special law making it unlawful to fish from any bridge.
    History.—s. 158, ch. 29965, 1955; ss. 23, 35, ch. 69-106; s. 239, ch. 71-136; s. 4, ch. 84-309; s. 18, ch. 96-350.
    Note.—Former s. 339.27.

There can be county and city ordinances that prohibit fishing from bridges.
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,576 Captain

What a bunch of BS.
    Giimoozaabi
  • miaimiwaxmiaimiwax Posts: 5 Deckhand
    Water everywhere but I find it pretty difficult to fish from land in dade county. Don't even get me start on attempting to fish in sunny isles or bal harbor.
  • Bite 1Bite 1 Posts: 489 Deckhand
    best fishing days of my life was fishing off the old keys bridges in the 60's-70's. Had to suck it in when semi went by and duck for cover. Also all bridges around lake "O" had speck fishers on them with lanterns hanging down. Now most are fishless and/or prohibited and kids don't know what they are missing. Understand safety issue as most kids now would be looking at their phone for text and get hit by truck/car hence no fishing from bridge laws.