So - they want to kill the guy who killed the lion!

Replies

• gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 19,982 AG
    Why you so scared gandy?

Work with me, "scary times" I ain't scared.

Are you trying to pick up the slack while 33T is MIA?
    :BUNNY gestapo

• navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,430 AG
    Mister-Jr wrote: »
    Trying to take a lion with a crossbow is like trying for marlin with a Zebco. I suppose it can be done, but what is the fricken point?

Personally I wouldn't with either bow or gun, but that isn't the point. Bears are hunted with bows all the time. Much larger game are bow hunted frequently. You'd have to ask them, I don't big game hunt. :grin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,436 AG
    navigator2 wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't with either bow or gun, but that isn't the point. Bears are hunted with bows all the time. Much larger game are bow hunted frequently. You'd have to ask them, I don't big game hunt. :grin

How many people are ethical hunters with a bow for large game? Maybe a handful, certainly not this guy.

Maybe next time he could get them to tranquilize the target and he could run over and stab it to death with a knife. What a story for his patients!
    Vote for the other candidate
    Mister-Jr wrote: »
    How many people are ethical hunters with a bow for large game? Maybe a handful, certainly not this guy.

Maybe next time he could get them to tranquilize the target and he could run over and stab it to death with a knife. What a story for his patients!

Saw this on the fake FB page yesterday. Pretty epic!
    Dr Palmer is my go to dentist, he is my mane man!! I'm not lion!
    :rotflmao
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,436 AG
    :grin
    Vote for the other candidate
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 6,024 Admiral
    Fred Bear killed an Elephant and several Lions with his bow...:grin
    He was most likely filthy rich and didn't know how to hunt either...:huh
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,922 AG
    Fish Haid wrote: »
    They want to send the guy to jail prison for killing a lion...

Oh my! That's far worse than regular prison.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 25,725 AG
    chubasco wrote: »
    Doubt that illegal hunting is an extraditable offense.

It appears it could be according to our extradition treaty with Zimbabwe. But even worse (better for the dentist), the dentist violated U.S. law and could be tried here.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/07/31/dentist-cecil-lion-zimbabwe/30927415/

Mini Mart Magnate

• Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,123 Admiral
    Polar wrote: »
    I hope he gets diverticulitus, and the guy who killed cecil
    :Agree
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 9,288 Admiral
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »

check the "other forum". :grin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 3,188 Captain
    attachment.php?attachmentid=844161&stc=1&d=1438376178
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends President Trump
  • mississippi macmississippi mac Posts: 4,222 Captain
    there is no reason, nor excuse to kill an endangered specie....
    he'd had as much respect from people had he "shot" the lion with a DSLR, printed it to 24"x36", and had it canvas mounted....

as you were....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002
  • bottom feederbottom feeder Posts: 845 Officer
    It was too dark to take a picture.

Leaving Florida... take a developer with you!

• Bimini TwistedBimini Twisted Posts: 11,124 AG
    there is no reason, nor excuse to kill an endangered specie....
    he'd had as much respect from people had he "shot" the lion with a DSLR, printed it to 24"x36", and had it canvas mounted....

as you were....

Shoot, who wants a pic of a cat with a giant radio collar on?
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 4,308 Captain
    According to police spokeswoman Charity Charamba, Palmer will face charges of poaching, the AP reported. Emmanuel Fundira, the president of the Safari Operators Association of Zimbabwe, said that Palmer's whereabouts are currently unknown.

The conservation group alleges that Palmer worked with the guides to lure Cecil from the national park to an unprotected area by strapping a "dead animal to their vehicle."

Once the animal was off the national park land, Palmer allegedly shot Cecil with a bow and arrow, but did not kill him. The group then tracked the wounded animal for 40 hours, ultimately shooting and killing him, Rodrigues said. Cecil was skinned and beheaded.

"The saddest part of all is that now that Cecil is dead, the next lion in the hierarchy...will most likely kill all Cecil's cubs so that he can insert his own bloodline into the females," Rodrigues said.

A stateside official expressed anger, too. U.S. Rep. Betty McCollum, a Minnesota Democrat, in a statement late Tuesday called for an investigation by the U.S. Attorney’s Office and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to see whether any U.S. laws were violated.

The two Zimbabwean men facing charges include a landowner and a professional hunter, according to a joint statement from the Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority and Safari Operators Association.

Neither of the men had a hunting permit, making the kill illegal, according to the statement.

Palmer, 55, told the Minnesota Star Tribune earlier Tuesday that "some things are being misreported," in regard to the lion's death.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2015/07/28/minnesota-dentist-walter-james-palmer-cecil-lion-africa/30785881/

Dr. Walter James Palmer is going to pay one way or another. Luring the lion out of the park with the meat, then shooting the lion (probably from the vehicle....my guess/not a fact....yet) all the while knowing that the lion had become accustom to safely approaching vehicles....which is how he became famous in the first place, leads him (Dr. Palmer) well short of the "sportsman category" in my book.
    This is going to cost him and he has only himself to blame. Stupid move...very stupid.
    No sympathy from me.....
    So he is claiming ignorance saying that the guide was directing the hunt.....not buying it...not right now anyway. he was a very experienced hunter, been on Safari before....he let his "Passion" get the best of him.
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • Mark O.Mark O. Posts: 3,407 Captain
    His brother has been shot. (the lion's not the dentist's)
    Maybe this is how it should go?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbhU76kUGMM
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 7,770 Admiral
    OK ... who's man enough to steal fresh kill from a pride of feeding lions?
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    Fred Bear killed an Elephant and several Lions with his bow...:grin
    He was most likely filthy rich and didn't know how to hunt either...:huh

This!!
    While stationed in Alaska in the 70's I knew a guy who got a Dall Sheep with a bow. only a very small handful had ever accomplished it.
    Fred Bear was one other. And it was done with a recurve not a compound bow.
    2013 Pathfinder 22 TE , 150 Yamaha,
    Mark O. wrote: »
    His brother has been shot. (the lion's not the dentist's)

I just heard that this is not as it was first reported. The brother has been reported to be alive and unharmed. :huh
    As it turns out, Jericho is not Cecil’s brother, but a “coalition partner,” as the Associated Press reported.

Oh.....and there is this.....from Ingrid Newkirk, president of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA)
    People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), became particularly controversial when Newkirk expressed her desire that Palmer be put to death.

“Hunting is a coward’s past time. If, as has been reported, this dentist and his guides lured Cecil out of the park with food so as to shoot him on private property, because shooting him in the park would have been illegal, he needs to extradited, charged, and, preferably, hanged,” she wrote.
  • joekat46joekat46 North PortPosts: 2,048 Captain
    What a relief:rolleyes. The anthropomorphism (love this big word) taking place with this group of lions is getting silly. The old bow hunting stories involving Fred Bear, Pope, Young, and Hill are pretty amazing if you take time to research and read them. All knew how to hunt very well. The current crop of news reporters don't know a recurve bow from a compound bow from a crossbow from a long bow but they sure have their disapproving "sad face" down pat. About all I've learned from this story is that some dentist apparently make too much money.
    Add - it seems Zimbabwe has added a layer of bureaucracy to any future lion hunts. You can still pay big bucks for a license but now must additionally take a Zimbabwe official with you on the quest.
    "Coalition Partner" - that may be lions speak for a male that hangs around the fringes hoping the dominate male is distracted enough he (subordinate male) can sneak in and bred one of the females. Very similar behavior seen in wild turkeys and many other creatures including rock stars and professional athletes:wink.

BTW - the picture I just viewed of the evil Dr. Palmer, his guide and the beloved Cecil show other than a crossbow. If you use a forum called Florida Sportsman please take the time to learn the difference.
    joekat46 wrote: »
    "Coalition Partner" - that may be lions speak for a male that hangs around the fringes hoping the dominate male is distracted enough he (subordinate male) can sneak in and bred one of the females.

LOL ... and you were chiding others for sloppy research

it's a survival thing ... male lions are kicked out of prides once they mature ... lions who have brothers group together until they can form a pride ... a lion without a brother will partner with another lion who has no brother in order to survive ...

nothing more than the buddy system used in combat ... no buddy = death
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

That's why I used the word "may". It was only a guess but I'm betting only one dominate lion does the majority/all of the breeding. Do they all dance around and sing songs like in the Disney movies?? With that is going on in the world it is hard to imagine this is getting so much attention. My congressional rep even sent out an internet poll regarding this subject. Jeez!
    Time to dig out and re-read my old Peter Hathaway Capstick books on hunting African big game in the 1960s and 1970s. His book Death in the Dark Continent (first one I grabbed) has a full chapter on lion hunting. Well worth the time. His books are pricey even on Amazon so maybe your local library has yet to purge them from the shelves. Nothing would surprise me regarding this circus.
    joekat46 wrote: »
    Time to dig out and re-read my old Peter Hathaway Capstick books on hunting African big game in the 1960s and 1970s. His book Death in the Dark Continent has a full chapter on lion hunting. Well worth the time.

He was an excellent spinner of tales ... like a lot of bartenders

Others seem to think so to. A quick check of two county library systems finds all his books checked out. I didn't realize what a prolific author he was. Man-Eaters of Tsavo by J.H. Patterson is another good lion book. I believe the Michael Douglas starred movie The Ghost and the Darkness was based on it (again just a guess from memory). I believe these man-eaters now reside in Chicago. Seems fitting in a way.
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    These books are cool too!

Man-Eaters of Kumaon is a book written by hunter-naturalist Jim Corbett. It details the experiences that Corbett had in the Kumaon region of India from the 1900s to the 1930s, while hunting man-eating tigers and leopards. One tiger, for example, was responsible for over 400 human deaths. Man-Eaters of Kumaon is the best known of Corbett's books and contains 10 stories of tracking and shooting man-eaters in the Indian Himalayas during the early years of the twentieth century. The text also contains incidental information on flora, fauna and village life.
    Maneaters_of_Kumaon.jpg

Also by Corbett
    The Man-eating Leopard of Rudraprayag. Oxford University Press, 1947
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
    Thank you - this is one of the most recent "big game" books I had read and I couldn't remember the title. Our library still has this one.
  • Triple Threat 33TTriple Threat 33T Posts: 18,665 Admin
    gandrfab wrote: »
    Work with me, "scary times" I ain't scared.

Are you trying to pick up the slack while 33T is MIA?

No need to lash out at me just because you're scared Matt.
    "Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen."