Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Stuart Offshore - 7/30/15 Sails, kings, bonitas, dolphin

First off, I'd like to thank the moderators for the 30 day BS vacation I was sent on for correctly identifying a billfish in another thread that had to do with a tournament, tournament points, and big potential money for those participating. I said Congrats to the young angler, there was no arguing in that thread, and I was simply pointing out the correct identification of a white marlin vs a blue marlin. I guess the fact that 30 other members chimed in agreeing 100% with my opinion meant nothing. Way to support those who support this forum most mods! Well done!!!

Onto today's report....

I played hookey today and took my friend Kyle and his girlfriend Emily offshore to dunk some livey's. We loaded the well up on threadfins in about 20 minutes and headed for the sailfish honey hole where we've been very fortunate this summer on nearly every trip. We set up the live bait spread in 130' and the bonitas quickly found us exploding on our baits. After working through some of those, we got the right bite on the right rigger bait and a sailfish was grayhounding across the water and tearing up the town. My crew demanded I keep the rod and finish what I started, so I had some fun while Emily took some video off the bow. We had a second sail hit another bait in our spread while I was fighting this one but we did not connect on that fish.

Jumping%20sail_zpsws0u5w4y.jpg

We got a clean release on that sail, then worked through countless kingfish fights, cutoffs, and so on. We lost two smoker kings easily over 30 lbs each and put a smaller one in the box for Kyle to smoke for fish dip. We also caught a dolphin on the smaller side that we sent back to grow up and fight us another day.

The radio was quiet and the few who spoke were all speaking of no billfish bites and bonitas. When I called my friend to let him know about our sail we let go, 8 boats found us in less than a 1/2 hour and it was a parking lot right on top of us. I don't like fishing in crowds and we eventually pulled away to work away from the fleet but everything slowed way down. We decided to pick up the spread and run in from where we were in 180' at that point. We found a great rip coming together nicely in 100' and saw a free jumper on it immediately upon slowing down there. We knew it looked good so the spread went back out. After a few more kingfish cutoff's, we had another sail come up on the dredge and pounce on our flatline greenie just behind it. Kyle did a great job feeding it and he came tight on another beautiful fat summertime sail.

KyleSail_zpsrkx3wrsk.jpg

LitSail_zpsgvmbg6br.jpg

We decided to go out on a high note and head for the barn. Great day in beautiful southeast FL without a drop of rain.

:beer
72262-albums10528-picture94957.jpg

Your Southeast Florida Real Estate Resource !
www.HomesOfTreasureCoast.com

Search for homes on any mobile device with my FREE MLS SEARCH App !
http://app.kw.com/KW2GYNJDM

Replies

• rivamunstasteverivamunstasteve Posts: 669 Officer
    Nice job man. Don't tell anyone how you did until the days over.
  • tango34tango34 Posts: 106 Officer
    Thanks for the report Dave!

Welcome back and that's ridiculous about the Mods...suprised you came back!
    34 Ryco "Tango"
  • flatsfisherflatsfisher Posts: 1,381 Officer
    thanks for the report, a steady summer sail bite is hard to beat. and i agree 100% about the mods, for some reason its okay for people to lie about fish weight and even species, but the second you call them out to make them look like the fool they are you get all the blowback. Its the reason why people laugh at this forum now and some of the true greats for the most part have stopped posting.
  • Fi$h2nguyenFi$h2nguyen Posts: 7,804 Moderator
    Welcome back Dave. Sounds like a nice trip. Thanks for the report.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keeping busy while away from Florida

https://www.youtube.com/user/UFpwrLifter/videos?view_as=public
  • LET'S GOLET'S GO Posts: 2,041 Captain
    Dave sure is great to see you back on the forum! Looking forward to your insight and knowledge I'm envious and trying to learn all I can, but as we get older it is difficult to LEARN (:Horse) More trips and reports please.
    GOOD LUCK TO ALL FROM TEAM LET'S GO,
    BONES AND BOOMER. :dog :dog LET'S MAKE EVERY TRIP COUNT

baf44a4e-6651-4a38-8a03-7b1c3b6bd22b_zpse5ca0565.jpg L.G. LIFE IS GOOD ON THE "LET'S GO!"
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,359 Admiral
  • bambam78bambam78 Posts: 557 Officer
    Great to have you back on the forum! Thanks for the report! You sure are consistent on catching the sails. Great job! Also, glad to hear the kings are thick. Do you ever have a problem with them cutting the strips off your dredge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • fishknutfishknut Posts: 3,928 Captain
    Nice job Dave. I was wondering why Kim was doing your narrating. It was kind if like Morgan freeman in shaw shank redemption (sp ), Dave went fishing today and did really well. Glad your back, don't let a hiccup ruin your legacy here, you are a staple to this section
    Fail to plan, plan to fail.......
  • SaylorsRevengeSaylorsRevenge Posts: 54 Deckhand
    Amazing how people invest there time.....welcome back and nice job on the sails!!
  • chick-a-deechick-a-dee Posts: 1,452 Officer
    fishknut wrote: »
    I was wondering why Kim was doing your narrating.

It's probably because I have a knack for story telling and can weave a tale like nobody's business! John Grisham, watch out! :rotflmao
  • holdemhook1holdemhook1 Posts: 168 Officer
    Great report!

So true about how the forum had changed over the years. Thanks for sharing!
    23 contender with 200 Mercury Optimax
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Captain DaveCaptain Dave Posts: 3,392 Captain
    Nice job man. Don't tell anyone how you did until the days over.

That sounds good on paper, but not how it works. There's a specific group of of us who share info with each other so we all can consistently stay on the sail bite on any given day. Since I don't have the luxury of fishing every day due to my full time job, I turn to these guys for updated info when I've been landlocked with real estate clients for 9 days straight, as was the case this week. At the end of the day we all end up catching more fish each season by working closely with each other.

• cvanricvanri Posts: 6 Deckhand
    Let me get this straight... Florida Sportsman Forum, which I assume is somehow affiliated with the television show Reel Time Florida Sportsman, a show that chooses a particular individual from FS Forum to be a guest on the show based on his or her exceptional fishing knowledge and skill, suspended the account of a forum member, who was chosen by the show based on his impressive track record of catching and sharing information in his many forum contributions and reports, and who helped to produce one of the most successful Reel Time episodes that I have seen, because this forum member used his exceptional knowledge of fishing to educate someone on the proper identification of fish??? That seems fair. I don't believe that I have ever met you Dave, but I appreciate the information that you regularly share in your posts, and I have used your info to help put my boat on fish. Thanks.
  • LET'S GOLET'S GO Posts: 2,041 Captain
    Kim there is no doubt that you can gather interest and hold it, I wish I could get that KNACK it is a gift. I should do my videos and get you to relate the days events.
    GOOD LUCK TO ALL FROM TEAM LET'S GO,
    BONES AND BOOMER. :dog :dog LET'S MAKE EVERY TRIP COUNT

baf44a4e-6651-4a38-8a03-7b1c3b6bd22b_zpse5ca0565.jpg L.G. LIFE IS GOOD ON THE "LET'S GO!"
  • PaulBoatPaulBoat Posts: 4,389 Officer
    Welcome back!!!

Yeah the whole thing was disappointing the way it unfolded under the guise or threat of coming off biased...

Dave - FS should've done what they had previously told us they would do and just cut their losses, or in this case "no loss"...
  • 4Rs4Rs Posts: 215 Deckhand
    Welcome back!. Nice job on the sails.
  • nuevowavonuevowavo Posts: 6,821 Admin
    Dave, welcome back. We're certainly missed you over the last month. If you'd like to give me a call regarding the circumstances of the issue, you know I'd be happy to discuss them. We're not going to get into a public rehashing of the details, but we'd like to point out to those who have responded to your statements that they are not totally informed as to the nature of the events that led to your "vacation".

That being said, happy birthday, nice work on the sails, and happy birthday!
    Federales, bring my baby back to me!
  • Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,491 Captain
    fishknut wrote: »
    Nice job Dave. I was wondering why Kim was doing your narrating. It was kind if like Morgan freeman in shaw shank redemption (sp ), Dave went fishing today and did really well. Glad your back, don't let a hiccup ruin your legacy here, you are a staple to this section

X-2

I wondered the same thing. Kim did a great job. Glad to see you back. (Don't sweat the small stuff :wink)

Pura Vida!
  • latitudeajustmentlatitudeajustment Posts: 2,058 Captain
    Yeah, welcome back and congrats on a great day there, way to go Kim for all of the reporting recently as well. Hope all have a safe and awesome weekend out there.
  • fishknutfishknut Posts: 3,928 Captain
    It's probably because I have a knack for story telling and can weave a tale like nobody's business! John Grisham, watch out! :rotflmao

GET YOUR HUMBLE PIE, RIGHT HERE FOLKS......hehe just kidding Kim.
    Fail to plan, plan to fail.......
  • summer dazesummer daze Posts: 883 Officer

X-2

I wondered the same thing. Kim did a great job. Glad to see you back. (Don't sweat the small stuff :wink)

I think the "mods" need to recognize that without QUALITY reports, this forum doesn't exist. I talk to so many ppl that read the reports but never post anything. Even if they catch small things, every little bit helps.

On that note, and not trying to beat a dead horse.... Nice day on the water Dave. Seems u "know" the sails on a 1st name basis... :beer
    jgocnk.jpg
    Tight Lines..
  • ControlledChaosControlledChaos Posts: 697 Officer
    Welcome back Dave! Great report as always.
    Captain for Controlled Chaos Fishing Team
    Previous forum name jfenn10
    Check us out on Facebook @ https://m.facebook.com/ControlledChaosFishingCharter?ref=bookmarks

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • M T PocketsM T Pockets Posts: 551 Officer
    I'm waiting for my invite...
    Well done Dave!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
  • Mike ButcherMike Butcher Posts: 73 Deckhand
    Welcome back Dave we missed your reports. Another great day of fishing and Happy Birthday.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks for the kind words guys. :beer

I'm waiting for my invite...
    Well done Dave!

You're always welcome Tom.

• tryacctryacc Posts: 339 Deckhand
    X37 on all the positive feedback, I too wondered where you were.

You are a great sportsman and ambassador to sport fishing in SE Florida it amazing to me that anyone would keep you from doing what you do. Agreed with all the others without people like yourself there is no Forum!

And again you take the High Road and comeback, thank you I look forward to more excellent posts!

Oh and btw nice catch again!
  • OnblondeOnblonde Posts: 84 Deckhand
    Wondered why you weren't posting. Glad your back. Shame they felt the need to give you a vacation, good on you for calling it out. The main reason most of us come here Is for fishing reports. There's plenty of other sites for other info, but this one is good for local info and knowledge. Yours especially.
  • Lazy BonesLazy Bones Posts: 941 Officer

LitSail_zpsgvmbg6br.jpg

Welcome back , happy birthday and all that stuff.
    I hate to nit pick, but that's clearly a white.
  • SeaPro220SeaPro220 Posts: 111 Officer
    sounds like you had a fun dat
    SeaPro 220 w/ 200 Verado
    Second Wind
    Manatee Marina
    Lazy Bones wrote: »
    Welcome back , happy birthday and all that stuff.
    I hate to nit pick, but that's clearly a white.

:Spittingcoffee Be careful Nat. A statement like that is begging for trouble.