Thursday 07/16

Thread title should be Thursday 07/23, not 07/16.

My son was home on leave from the Marines for 2 weeks and returned this past Sunday. I had planned to take off on Thursday and Friday to take him fishing on our boat. He had been doing a lot of yard work for us for which I was going to pay him but instead of getting paid and me taking him out he asked me to charter a backwater trip. I guess he actually wanted to catch some fish.

I booked a 6 hour trip with Capt. Randy of Florida Native Fishing Charters out of Fort Myers Beach. We started out fishing some mangroves looking for reds without success. He ran to another spot where we fished the mangrove shoreline and docks on the outgoing where we caught and released several snook, some small, some slot and a lot of fun. We also picked up a nice sized trout for dinner.

Things slowed so he ran to another spot where we drifted through a hole where we got hit by nice sized snook on almost every drift through, the largest of which my son is holding in the picture. The largest one he's ever landed. Also caught 2 thick, 16" mangrove snappers to accompany the trout home for dinner.

Randy tried a couple of other spots on the way back to the dock and then we called it a day.We had a great time. Caught and released over 10 snook, took home 1 trout and 2 snapper.

Randy is a really nice guy and was a pleasure to fish with. He worked hard to make sure we had an enjoyable trip My son brought a lot of good memories back to his base in San Diego.

Replies

• red_magnetred_magnet Posts: 498 Deckhand
    Nice fish , I bet those snappers tasted real good !
    I owe it all to my Granny and Bill Dance....