July 27 morning fish

I fished from 6:45-10:00 am. The water was very high along mangroves. It was very windy and weedy. The.bite was nice for two hours. I caugh snook, but they were small. I used a jig, but had to remove grass every cast. The small snook were by mangroves and bigger fish were further out from mangroves. I could have caught more, but didnt care to catch the small ones. So far my summer ratio has been one red fish for every 20 snook. I think it iS time to lift the ban. It is my belief that there are too many snook and they are overwhelming the reds on a survival basis/food/territory.

Replies

• GatorInPISoundGatorInPISound Posts: 543 Officer
    Its good to hear that the snook are back out there....Id love to take a keeper home in the Fall....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Trust in the LORD and receive HIS many blessings....
  • NoreastSalt3295NoreastSalt3295 Posts: 594 Officer
    My ratio is like 500:1 don't feel bad :P
  • WadeFishermanWadeFisherman Posts: 437 Deckhand
    My ratio is like 500:1 don't feel bad :P

When i lived by mosquito lagoon, i got sick of catching reds, and rarely caught snook, now it is opposite over here. Red fights way better, but big snook are fun.
  • NoreastSalt3295NoreastSalt3295 Posts: 594 Officer
    I agree but theres nothing like seeing a 40" snook fly out of the water thrashing it's head towards the mangroves. Reds just bulldog it out.
  • jnicotra21jnicotra21 Posts: 33 Deckhand
    Just my 2 cents but perhaps it is the location/baits you are using that is skewing your ratio. You will tend to catch more snook throwing jigs at the mangroves and more redfish throwing weedless plastics on the flats. I have noticed very plentiful populations of redfish the past few months all around pine island along with tons of juvenile snook. In a few years, those baby snook that were produced by the protected adults will be breeding and the ban can definitely be lifted safely.
  • former bluefishinnyformer bluefishinny Posts: 1,489 Officer
    Joe and I fish together often (Wadefisher OP).....

For the most part catch way way more snook than I do reds. Not really complaining, at all... But in the areas I fish, I see more snook than reds. I moved here from the SE coast about 5 years ago. Before moving, I always envisioned myself wade fishing, and running across more reds than snook, quite the opposite. Was not in the area for the "big freeze", so I cannot vouch for numbers prior.

And Joe.... You are doing better than I with the ratio... I have not landed a red since May!!!!!
  • former bluefishinnyformer bluefishinny Posts: 1,489 Officer
    jnicotra21 wrote: »
    Just my 2 cents but perhaps it is the location/baits you are using that is skewing your ratio.

True words.... Very true, however, even then.... this past spring for example, a flat that we wade in North Sarasota for reds was yielding as many snook... Wide open grass flats, sometimes 100 yards off the bushes. Gold spoons, Zoom Flukes, Lil Johns, topwaters etc etc. Now this may not be the case in other areas... Just adding what i see
  • Mickster48Mickster48 Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    Just moved to SW FL from Texas. In Texas the bays would have been way too muddy to do any good for awhile after this much rain. Thinking about trying Estero Bay tomorrow but wondering if it's too high or muddy for redfish/trout, and if it is, about how long does it take for it to settle back to normal. Any tips appreciated! Thanks!
  • yaker8872yaker8872 Posts: 64 Deckhand
    Mickster48 wrote: »
    Just moved to SW FL from Texas. In Texas the bays would have been way too muddy to do any good for awhile after this much rain. Thinking about trying Estero Bay tomorrow but wondering if it's too high or muddy for redfish/trout, and if it is, about how long does it take for it to settle back to normal. Any tips appreciated! Thanks!

I went out in my kayak near new pass at 5 am this morning. The water was very dirty. I was hoping the rain would have cooled the water off some to produce a good bite. I did manage one 18in red and 20in Snook but couldn't get the two 12 inch mangroves I was hoping for for a curry dinner. Only the monster catfish found the baits.
  • SymetreSymetre Posts: 142 Officer
    Mickster48 wrote: »

Late September/October
  • Mickster48Mickster48 Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the update! I drove out there this afternoon and it didn't look too bad, but I think I'll wait a few days and see what happens.
  • dkleinmeyer22dkleinmeyer22 Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    great to hear the Red bite is tough. I thought it was just me, I've fished the area for a couple of years now and can count the reds on one hand while the snook and trout are all over the place. New to the forum and love it, thanks for all the posts guys.
    I fished this morning, july 29th from 600 to 800 am even though it was a bad tide. I tried the west side because of wind. Very slow, bait was present. Two small snook, and i think i had a red follow, but cannot be for sure. Thanks for everones replies.
    Fished this morning july 30th from 5am to 730am, wind was west at 5-10, surf was weedy, almost every cast. Big lady fish and one snook, lost a few nice ones, about five good hits. I know this is not much too report, but for those who wonder if they missed something this morning, they didnt. Also, instictively it felt good, i think the next few days will be good, except for this darn west wind, is it always so consistent in the summer to be from west?
  • redrocket1986redrocket1986 Posts: 133 Deckhand
    btw, inshore mangrove snapper are 10" to keep
    Hobie Outback ~TheRedRocket~