Go Pro Advice

Hey guys the Wife got me an awesome fathers day present in the form of a GoPro Hero3 Silver. I have used it and love it so far, I was wondering I have tried to use the GoPro Studio for editing but it makes no sense to me so far. Is there something different that you guys use to make those nice videos with? Thanks for the help!
Freedom is not free, but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share.
Ned Dolan

Replies

• Ericjames22Ericjames22 Posts: 377 Officer
    are you using a Mac?
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,684 Captain
    The first video edit is always the hardest, it will get easier. In general, everything is easier to do with a Mac. Using the gopro studio with a windows machine, short videos are relatively intuitive. Currently using sony studio suite, though initially a bit more complicated, in the long run offers more freedom and faster editing. I still use gopro studio to view initial downloads, label and clip them into smaller pieces of video for later use in Sony Studio. This topic has been covered before and am always interested to hear what others use and like for video editing ?
  • quatinquatin Posts: 595 Officer
    I tried using the GoPro Studio on a Windows 7 machine. It was so full of bugs, that I'm amazed it was released publicly even as freeware. Maybe it was designed to for use in a Mac? Even when the program loaded up stable, entire menu sections were hidden.

The best video editor I used was Adobe Premier, way back in the day when you could have a CD copy. I lost it with my old computer and now I use VideoPad for simple cut and splice editing.
  • ChobeeboysChobeeboys Posts: 417 Officer
    Guys thanks for the Advice, I am using a Windows 7 computer and GoPro Studio keeps freezing on me the only thing I can do is cut videos
    Looking forward to posting some video as nice as the ones I have seen on the forum!
    Freedom is not free, but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share.
    Ned Dolan
  • mjrudd1mjrudd1 Posts: 267 Deckhand
    For work and fishing videos, I use Cyberlink Power Director. Pretty good, highly rated on various sites by professional geeks. So are Sony and Adobe Premier. For me, Adobe was harder to learn than Power Director. Tempted to try the Sony program instead of upgrade my PD, just because I might like it better and always trying to kick everything up a notch. I use Windows also, so I'm not a real geek at all, but I can catch fish and that is what really matters.

This goes to something else you'll work thru - where goes the camera? I bought mounts for my yak but keep my GoPro on my head because I want to re-live catching the fish with my videos. I know what I look like, and that ain't getting any better with age.
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,294 Moderator
    mjrudd1 wrote: »
    For work and fishing videos, I use Cyberlink Power Director. Pretty good, highly rated on various sites by professional geeks. So are Sony and Adobe Premier. For me, Adobe was harder to learn than Power Director. Tempted to try the Sony program instead of upgrade my PD, just because I might like it better and always trying to kick everything up a notch. I use Windows also, so I'm not a real geek at all, but I can catch fish and that is what really matters.

I can't afford Adobe. Tell me more about this Cyberlink software, likes/dislikes? do you have any recent vids you made with it? I am interested in trying this software soon.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,684 Captain
    jcanracer wrote: »
    I can't afford Adobe. Tell me more about this Cyberlink software, likes/dislikes? do you have any recent vids you made with it? I am interested in trying this software soon.

Would like to know more about Cyberlink Power Director 13 also. Adobe Premiere aimed at professionals, but Premiere elements 13 (the consumers version) is under $80, and Adobe seems to have(speak up if someone believes otherwise) more tutorial support than any other video editing software on the market. Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13 is the consumer version of Sony Vegas which from what I have read is easier to use than Adobe. Adobe Elements has been working on user friendliness, new version comes out each year in September, Tempted to try version 14 next September.
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,294 Moderator
    oh, I didn't realize Elements was that affordable.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
    jcanracer wrote: »

I can't imagine one having or needing more "editing stuff" - slow motion, variable cropping of moving scenes, borders, etc. I work with disabled kids for a vocation, and making videos for work stuff is my primary purpose. Fishing vids are secondary. I don't use most of the special effects. When I wanted to move away from Roxio a few years ago, I tried Elements but back then it was noted for being "non-user friendly". It proved hard for me to figure out. So, I tried a free trial of Power Director and it was easier to get around in, so I bought it. Since then, I understand Elements has moved ahead to be more "user friendly" than PD. Online reviews put them pretty even overall, lately.

Most recent video has some slow motion & cropping (lets you choose a clip and change the amount of cropping at various points while it plays smoothly with gradual transition. Another nice thing is the audio editing: with my GoPro in a waterproof case, the sound is muted but I can crank it way up, like in this one so you can hear the drag. [video=vimeo;131937136]
  • JoeBCJoeBC Posts: 608 Officer
    I just use windows movie maker, actually pretty simple to use, easy to edit music, trim clips, slow down/speed up, and fade in out, add credits. Don't know what else you really want.
    JoeBC wrote: »
    I just use windows movie maker, actually pretty simple to use, easy to edit music, trim clips, slow down/speed up, and fade in out, add credits. Don't know what else you really want.

I use Movie maker also, but only when I am multitasking and can wait on it. I find MM takes a LONG time for raw videos to load, compared to PD and Elements. When I want to pull still pictures out of video, PD does it very quickly and with higher quality than MM (as I understand things). Some samples: