Estero Bay - Bay Boat or Flats Boat?

Thinking of buying a house with access to Estero Bay. Have limited knowledge of Estero. Can someone recommend the type boat I should get for fishing mostly in Estero Bay for Reds and Snook?

Appreciated your recommendations.

Thanks.

Replies

• Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,390 Admiral
    Flats skiff......poling skiff particularly
  • FinsfanFinsfan Posts: 604 Officer
    If you are going to exclusively fish inshore and on the flats then well...a flats boat. If you ever plan to do some nearshore or offshore stuff then get a bay boat. I personally think a bay boat is perfect for our area. Just pick your days offshore and go get some grouper.
  • PilchardPilchard Posts: 1,373 Officer
    As has been said a million times, no boat will do it all. If you are new to inshore saltwater fishing, I would say bay boat or larger flats boat... Something in the 20' range or a little bigger.

If you want to make an educated decision, hire a few different guides who run different types of boats. The fishing you do out of a polling skiff will be much different than what you will be doing out of a large bay boat... Figure out what you would like to do most and get a boat that will satisfy you more often than not...
  • mtbrider85mtbrider85 Posts: 341 Deckhand
    Both will work fine in Estero. Its more a question of: Will you be fishing with others(family/friends)? and will you want to fish other areas/fisheries? Flats boats are nice for fishing the flats... and nothing else. Bay boats open up a few more possibilities, but will limit you on particular tides/ shallow areas. If your not strictly sight fishing or fly fishing I would suggest looking at bay boats first. That's what I picked and I live off Estero bay and fish there somewhat regularly. There are days I wish I had a skinny water poling skiff, but those days are few and far between(usually in the winter).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gumgatorgumgator Posts: 124 Officer
    mtbrider85 wrote: »
    Both will work fine in Estero. Its more a question of: Will you be fishing with others(family/friends)? and will you want to fish other areas/fisheries? Flats boats are nice for fishing the flats... and nothing else. Bay boats open up a few more possibilities, but will limit you on particular tides/ shallow areas. If your not strictly sight fishing or fly fishing I would suggest looking at bay boats first. That's what I picked and I live off Estero bay and fish there somewhat regularly. There are days I wish I had a skinny water poling skiff, but those days are few and far between(usually in the winter).

I agree. Had a flats boat and was really limited with who and when I could fish. I went to a bay boat and only gained 4 inches in draft but added 7 feet in length. You are going to want the bigger boat to get bait off the beaches and to chase tarpon when they are in town.
    a733be5f-c7db-41a8-912c-98a88c9a32ca.jpg