Goliath Gropuer

I am new to this website but have fished southwest Florida for many years. I am planning a trip in August and really want to battle a Goliath grouper, there seems to be a lot in the area but I have never had any luck. Outside of fishing structure around Boca Grande pass, where is the best places to catch them? What is the best bait? Any advice is good advice. Thanks!

Replies

• FinsfanFinsfan Posts: 604 Officer
    The A span on Sanibel has been known to hold some monsters. I also hear there are some good ones around the phosphate docks. Jack crevalle seem to be a favorite bait for a lot of people.
  • Westwall01Westwall01 Posts: 5,392 Admiral
    Boca Grande CSWY, Sanibel CSWY, El Jobean Pier, Phosphate docks, Alligator Creek Reef, etc. the list goes on, just find some structure and deeper water typically, though I have seen and caught some nice Jewfish under the mangroves in small cuts. As far as bait, Jacks are great so are blue runners and ladyfish
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,172 Captain
    Rays are great bait for them. (I've never caught a jewfish... just watched a ton of video on it and they're always using rays for bait)
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
  • KokiKoki Posts: 49 Deckhand
    A few years ago we were on our kayaks near York island. I saw a long, curved, serrated dorsal fin just above the surface of the water in about 4-5' depth. It was such weird sight, I thought it was an alligator. We kayaked closer and got right on top of a giant goliath. We were within a kayaks length before it spooked out, and sent a giant wave all around. I wouldn't target this area, but they are definitely out there.