Pompano to Boca Raton Inlet -- Thursday Drift 7/23/15

John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,684 Captain
At 7am launched off Pompano beach at SE 12th St with 3 live gogs. Weeds were still thick all the way out to 170ft, then thinned out in deeper water. Current was strong, but not as bad as last week, manageble -- could have made it back to the launch, but decided to make it a drift instead of the hard peddle, plus wanted to fish the wrecks just south of Boca Inlet. Dragged the gogs around most the morning without a bite, eventually loosing them to weed tangles. Verticle jigging was slow, meter some good fish marks, but very few strikes. Saw a sailfish jumping just North of the Deerfield Bch pier, but unfortnately all my bait was dead by then. I believe as a result of an incoming tide, the current was ripping 3kts at the wrecks just south of Boca Inlet....unable to fish them. Transit to the Boca Boat ramp was easy as a result of the incoming tide. Landed at the ramp around 3pm with 2 small kings and 2 medium bonitas. 1 king caught on a dead gog, and the rest caught verticle jigging.

Replies

• kayaklingkayakling Posts: 106 Officer
    Hey still got some fish! Way to get one on a dead bait. You snobbling it in the current?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Billy9871Billy9871 Posts: 116 Officer
    I notice a lot of you guys do the long drift. How do you get back to your launch? Someone picks you up?? I've been wanting to do one but unless i plan where I'm drifting to I could leave another vehicle but that's a lot of work also!!! No cab ride with all that gear!! Lol
    Great catches also!!! Or does someone ride back to launch and pick up vehicles?? Just trying to get ideas!!! Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • kayakfrankkayakfrank Posts: 791 Officer
    Hey John. That's fishing for ya'. At least you got some water-time in and a couple fish. Beats work man.
    Fish Hard...Or Don't Fish At All.
  • ProduktProdukt Posts: 592 Officer
    Billy9871 wrote: »
    I notice a lot of you guys do the long drift. How do you get back to your launch? Someone picks you up?? I've been wanting to do one but unless i plan where I'm drifting to I could leave another vehicle but that's a lot of work also!!! No cab ride with all that gear!! Lol
    Great catches also!!! Or does someone ride back to launch and pick up vehicles?? Just trying to get ideas!!! Thanks

Get an Uber back to your car and leave your kayak with someone in the group or depending on where you land, some other place where it will be safe
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 1,684 Captain
    Billy9871 wrote: »
    I notice a lot of you guys do the long drift. How do you get back to your launch?

UBER is about 70% of the price of a cab, a tip is not expected, and they are generally fast and reliable. Service will be suspended in Broward county in August, but if you beach outside of Broward, they will take you back there. If one does not feel comfortable with who ever is watching their kayak on the beach, take most of the valuables off it. Use the bait well as a bucket to carry the fishfinder, cameras, VHF radio, Epirb, etc. Take all the hooks off the rods and reels to prevent damage in the UBER and bring them also. It is a process, but beats coming back later to find something missing.
  • Billy9871Billy9871 Posts: 116 Officer
    Thanks for info