Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Fishing knot - leader to braid

So I've been tying the old Uni to Uni knot for years now, and it's always held. Always.
Only problem I have with it is.... yup, you guessed it... the 'catch' at the top of the rod as the knot goes through the eyelets.

Saw this knot a couple months back:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjzUb5QRKuk

It looked fantastic, so I gave it a whirl. POP. Leader came off one of the rods.

So, I'm back to square one. Unless I tied it wrong.

What do you use and do you care about the 'catch' when it goes through the eyelets?

Replies

• limitlesslimitless Posts: 680 Officer
    The Modified Albright - much easier to tie and had the best results on "Knot Wars" for breaking strength. There is a free Knot Wars app available with animation of several knots.

The Snook & Gamefish Foundation is now the Angler Action Program: http://angleractionfoundation.com/  Dedicated to Conservation and Education.  Please check us out.

Angler Action Program: IAngler app trip log on your phone

• AceDawgAceDawg Posts: 111 Officer
    I use the uni to uni and haven't had any problems with it and have never had a break off yet. As for catching on the eyelets I don't really use a leader long enough to have it go through the eyelets, I always make sure the knot is at least an inch or two below the eye when casting, with heavier lures/bait I can cast fine with the knot going through the eyelet. I saw that video on the FG knot before and seen it in action but never tried it myself. I know from experience that I have tied knots the wrong way before when trying them out, I would give it another try. You could also contact the guy in the video directly and he's very nice and helpful and responds to every email. His name is Luke and you can email him at [email protected].
  • C DogC Dog Posts: 75 Greenhorn
    It takes some practice but once you get the hang of it the FG knot is the way to go. I usually do about 40 loops just to be sure. The key is to make sure there is tension on both lines when you loop the leader. I usually let the spool of leader lie on the ground. I loop some line on the spool end around my hand, and after looping once with the leader end I pull down the spool end against the braid. If you don't apply tension on each loop than the braid just wraps around the leader and it will slip. Each loop should grab the leader. That's where the knot gets it's strength. After about 40 loops I then test the knot before locking it. If it's gonna slip it will slip here. You can also start checking for slippage as you loop. The first few loops it will still slip. But after about 10 it should already start grabbing. If not, than you know you need more tension.

I was uni-uni guy for a long time as well. But like you said with bigger leaders the tag end inevitably gets stuck in the eyelets. Another advantage of FG versus uni is tying heavier leaders to smaller size braid. I was in Boca grande and had a few uni-uni knots slip because the leader was too big for the size braid. I even tried the technique of doubling back the braid and still had a slip. With the FG knot you won't have to worry about pairing the size of the braid with the leader.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Cavanaugh68Cavanaugh68 Posts: 513 Officer
  • vettett15vettett15 Posts: 44 Greenhorn
    I too saw that video of the fg knot and tried it out with similar results, when I pulled hard on the knot (wrapped the two ends around pliers to do a pull test) the braid would slip.

I've been trying the slim beauty knot and have had good results. Easy to tie and when I pull test it, the braid would break 6 inches from the knot.
  • dudemanbubbadudemanbubba Posts: 67 Greenhorn
    Surgeon's knot has always worked for me on my inshore gear. Ties quickly and do not recall ever reeling in a break where the failure was in the main line... always in the leader after hangups or lost fish. Never catches in my guides. Caught large bull redfish, flag yellow tail snapper, doormat flounder, etc. with no issues.

http://www.animatedknots.com/surgeonsjoin/index.php?Categ=fishing
    Pioneer 222 Sportfish
    Suzuki DF250 APX
  • cdipasqualecdipasquale Posts: 58 Greenhorn
    I've been tying a bimini to double the braid and uni to uni to attach to the leader. If you're having a problem with the mono tag catching on the way out of the guides, take a lighter and melt the end of the tag and touch it to something the flatten it into the knot. That makes the knot perfectly smooth and as a benefit, there is no possible way the knot could slip now. I keep a lighter in my pocket and always melt my mono and flouro tags. Works great.
  • MSW_SatelliteBeachMSW_SatelliteBeach Posts: 212 Officer
    "take a lighter and melt the end of the tag and touch it to something the flatten it into the knot."

Never thought about that but yeah - the remaining tag end of the leader is always the 'catch' point. What's the "something" you use to flatten it out? I'll try anything once.
  • BigwaveDaveBigwaveDave Posts: 319 Officer
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    The key to not having the sebile, or fg knot as it's now called, slip, is to work it back and forth over the leader to give it a good "bite" before you start tying the overhand knots.

I've had one or two slip, but once you get the hang of it, it will hold just fine. Spider hitches and unis for inshore work are unnecessarily bulky.

If you just dont have confidence in tying a knot that uses friction instead of a bend to keep, then an albright with the braid doubled up is your knot. Not quite as thin as a sebile, but a great knot without the ever irritating tag ends jutting out at right angles to the line which can wreak havoc on baitcasting tackle. (Sorry, Vic.)
    "take a lighter and melt the end of the tag and touch it to something the flatten it into the knot."

Never thought about that but yeah - the remaining tag end of the leader is always the 'catch' point. What's the "something" you use to flatten it out? I'll try anything once.

Dont do that with the sebile knot. you've just created a an obstacle that will add stress to the braid. Tie the knot correctly and it will hold.
  • gettinwetgettinwet Posts: 1,366 Officer
    I've always used uni to uni - fish primarily inshore and pitch for bass on occasion - 15 - 20 lb braid to 17 - 50 lb fluorocarbon leaders. I do have an issue with break offs but not by fish rather when casting. I have a 7ft 4in fast action pro green that is like a buggy whip - it will fling a lure - but you have to make smooth casts. Which unfortunately I have a natural side arm motion from pitching under docks and structure which causes the rod tip to rotate so every once in awhile I'll get a wrap around the tip - and the worst ones around the second eye during hard casts (usually breaks the braid just above the knot - lost a few lures that way). Keeping the leaders as short as possible so I don't have to have the knot through the eyes helps. I think it is more of an issue with me not knowing how to properly use this rod then a problem with the knot. I've caught some giant reds and nice snook and have never had a uni-uni fail. Almost every fish that breaks off is an abrasion cut of the braid. That said, I also retie often. I've always figured it better to tie a couple of knots well - so the improved clinch, palomar, loop knot, and uni/uni are all I tie - though I don't get a chance to offshore fish nor target giant tarpon which I imagine have different requirements.
    There are only so many casts in life, so shut up and fish!!
  • leel33mlleel33ml Posts: 144 Deckhand
    Improved Albright is what I use. Never had any problems with breaking and it is much smoother through the guides that uni to uni.
  • bronconutbronconut Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    I do the "Alberto knot".

A lot like a blood knot.
    Saw it on YouTube. It is fast and really thin, slips right through the top rod guide.
  • bro schrobro schro Posts: 773 Officer
    x3 Albright supper strong and slips trough the guides
  • tears143tears143 Posts: 89 Greenhorn
    FG knot will not work with a few smooth braid.

Once you get a hang of it, it's an awesome knot to tie.
  • bluewatermafiabluewatermafia Posts: 540 Officer
    I like a blood knot if my mono is smaller than 30#
  • cdipasqualecdipasquale Posts: 58 Greenhorn
    just press it against the side of the lighter or your finger or anything really. Once you melt the end it takes hardly any pressure the push it flat with the knot.
  • SpaceCoast SlayerSpaceCoast Slayer Posts: 3,527 Captain
    I don't trust the FG knot .. everyone I have fished with who comes with that tied on their leader I have broken it right in front of them every time... they may not be tying it right, who knows.. but any knot I have to put 40 twists on is a no go for me lol.. it's technically not even a knot, it's a binding until you put the overhand knots in it .. and IMO you shouldnt be reeling any type of knots past the eyes..
  • JethroJethro Posts: 409 Deckhand
    cbmdk86 wrote: »
    and IMO you shouldnt be reeling any type of knots past the eyes..
    When you have 20' to 60' of mono tied to braid you have no choice but to run the knot thru the guides
  • beat to fitbeat to fit Posts: 2,087 Captain
    limitless wrote: »
    The Modified Albright - much easier to tie and had the best results on "Knot Wars" for breaking strength. There is a free Knot Wars app available with animation of several knots.

:Agree
  • mahi03mahi03 Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    I have used the Alberto/modified Albright knot for years with minimal issues, but occasional have had issues with the knot breaking from "wear and tear" through the guides. If you are plugging, and that knot is going through multiple guides for hundreds of casts, it will eventually fail. So you should consider retying the knot before every trip.

I have had good luck with the FG knot. Make sure you pull on the fluoro section to make sure that the braid catches and gets a grip. I usually do this after the first overhand knot, and before the second and third. It is also possible that this knot will break from wear and tear, but I have not yet had it do so on me.