Kayak Paddle for Birthday present

cseng123cseng123 Posts: 365 Deckhand
Hey NMZ guys,

My mom's birthday is coming up, and she is wanting a new kayak paddle. Her and her group of friends go every weekend, and kayak to a local island to hang out. Basically, I need help in finding a solid, affordable kayak paddle used mainly for cruising in the intercoastal. I think they all have Ocean Kayak sit on tops, if that makes any difference. Is there anything decent for around 50-60 bucks? Or am I asking for too much. Thanks for any help.

Christian

Replies

• jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,294 Moderator
    What does she have right now?
    In that price range, the Carlisle Daytripper is a sturdy 2-piece aluminum paddle for about $55 if I remember correctly.
    Why not partner up with another relative and increase the budget so you can get her a lightweight paddle?
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • cseng123cseng123 Posts: 365 Deckhand
    Thanks for the reply, jcanracer. I am not sure what she has right now, since she keeps her kayak and other stuff at our neighbors. I will ask my sister about joining up to get in on it, but she usually does her own thing and gets creative. Lets say I do get her in on it, what other options are available? I appreciate the recommendation, ill look at the Daytripper if I cant get anyone else in on it.
  • quatinquatin Posts: 595 Officer
    $50 puts you in the cheapest paddle rack. You should find out what she has right now and what she wants to get. You don't want to gift a paddle that's worse than what she currently has. Worst case, $50 REI gift card.
    I didnt realize that $50 was that cheap. Sorry, I literally know nothing about kayaks and accessories. I do know that my mom knows very little as well, and that she most likely has a POS paddle. Thank you for the links, Jcan. And thanks for the advice, Quatin. If I cant get anyone in with me, I can get her a gift card to the kayak store by my house. I think ill be able to muster up $100.
  • rdny041285rdny041285 Posts: 47 Deckhand
    Whats the difference in these paddles compared to the Chute paddles sold at ****?
  • rdny041285rdny041285 Posts: 47 Deckhand
    Anybody? Are others just lighter?
  • oarknotoarknot Posts: 243 Officer
    Good paddles are $150-$300- for carbon fiber shafts and fiberglass blades. The difference between a good paddle and a crappy paddle is night and day, but not apparent while swinging one around in ****'s or Gander. I have a Werner paddle that is the bombdiggity. Quatin has it right- check out REI. Make sure you get the right length and look for a touring paddle with a longer thin blade and determine if she is a high/low paddler and most importantly GET THE RIGHT LENGTH SHAFT for her frame and for the width and style of yak (sit in vs sit on top).
  • quatinquatin Posts: 595 Officer
    rdny041285 wrote: »
    Whats the difference in these paddles compared to the Chute paddles sold at ****?

Never heard of Chute paddles. I've noticed most of the $50 paddles are the same thing, just re-branded. The aluminum shafts look like they come from the same supplier. They mess with the blades a little, in fact if you're set on getting one of those, I wouldn't get the Daytripper, since it has a large blade more suited for surf play/rivers. Look for one with a smaller blade.
    Just an update, got my sister involved and got her $100 gift certificate to a paddle shop close to home. Shes more than happy, and said "oh now I can get brand x paddle!" so thanks for the help.
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,294 Moderator
    good! sounds like she knew what she wanted, so this worked out well.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!