Outstanding Salmon on Sale at Publics

Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,411 Captain
If some of you folks ever get tired of local seafood, take advantage of the killer sale on Alaskan Sockeye Salmon this week at Publics. Fillets are available at $7.99 per lb through Wednesday. We tried some last Friday and it was so good I went backed and stocked up. I'm a salmon snob and I'm telling you that this is killer stuff. No more than 2-3 days off the boat. We had it broiled and I smoked up a bunch.

Replies

• Jim311Jim311 Posts: 4,918 Captain
    All the salmon I ever had was way lighter in color than that. Is that why I hate salmon? It tastes fishy to me.
  • jeffjonesjeffjones Posts: 99 Greenhorn
    I miss good salmon so much, will have to go grab a couple tomorrow
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,411 Captain
    Most of the salmon that you can get around here are farmed Atlantic salmon. They have a strong flavor and taste like cat food unless they are absolutely fresh. Actually, any salmon will taste fishy unless it is fresh. These are Alaskan sockeye or red salmon. Hence the bright red colored meat. Unlike other Pacific salmon, they don't feed on herring and anchovy and eat mostly krill, which gives them the bright red colored meat and also a mild rich flavor. IMO, wild king and sockeye salmon are the only ones worth eating other than after smoking.

The reason that a lot of people don't like salmon is because they've never had the good stuff. The sockeye that Publics is selling for the next few days is good stuff.

Salmon doesn't keep very well frozen unless it is vacuum sealed. But you can store them vacuum packed in a non-defrosting freezer for up to a year.
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 1,932 Captain
    My favorite, Sockeye cold smoked equals Lox on a toasted bagel with cream cheese, onion, capers!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    Bought some for me and my mom a couple days ago. Very good. Lightly smoked it.
    133cbf2b243368b1ddb2f591a1988076--beach-posters-florida-travel.jpg
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 3,268 Captain
    How long and hot are yall smoking it? I usually smoke fish 200-225 for around 2 hours( for thicker fullest like cobia or aj) around an hour and a half for Spanish macs. I've heard alder wood is the only way to go for salmon
    You should have been here yesterday
    How long and hot are yall smoking it? I usually smoke fish 200-225 for around 2 hours( for thicker fullest like cobia or aj) around an hour and a half for Spanish macs. I've heard alder wood is the only way to go for salmon

I did a large fillet at about 150 or so (max temp) for almost two hours. Could have cooked it less. but it was good.

I used live oak, as it was what I had. Not much alder in Florida. Suggested woods are mangrove, button wood and other mild woods. Alder is mild I believe.

I was shooting for the following recipe...
    http://honest-food.net/2012/08/12/how-to-smoke-salmon-recipe/

Missed it by a mile, but the salmon was still excellent. Cooked mine too hot and fast according to this. Too much albumen. This site is one of the all best for cooking wild game, seafood, etc. Good section on charcuterie.

If you can find this book, it's a winner.
    il_570xN.626867986_pdif.jpg
  • Red612Red612 Posts: 284 Deckhand
    I usually smoke mine about 5 hours at 150 using pecan wood. I like the fish to be a little drier then normal when smoked.

On my Brine I use molasses and brown sugar with kosher salt soak overnight pull out let sit on drying rack for a while then put coarse ground black pepper on top then on to the smoker.
    Sockeye are thin and mild, so you need to scale down the brine and smoking time a bit.

Here's my EZ Peezy recipe for sockeye:

1. Rinse the fillets with the skin on and place in a glass or ceramic pan. Cover the meat side and edges with a 50/50 mixture of canning or Kosher salt and brown sugar. Coat the fillets as heavily as you can. You can't over do it.

2. Place the coated fillets meat to meat in 1 gallon zip lock plastic bags. Hold in a refrigerator for 1 hr turning the bag over after 30 min.

3. Rinse the fillets well in fresh water and let them air dry from at least 1 hr. This brings a layer of protein to the surface that will hold the smoke flavor. You can go overnight with this step if you need to.

4. Brush the meat side with an oil mixture made up of:

1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1/3 cup peanut oil
    1 glove pressed or minced garlic
    2 dashes of Tabasco sauce
    1 dash of turmeric

Sprinkle with fresh ground green peppercorn and/or black pepper to taste.

5. Smoke for 90 min at 150 degrees if you can get that low. Otherwise smoke for 1 hr at 200 degrees. I use only Western Alder for salmon. You can get the dried chips at most places that sell smokers. You need to set the smoker at the highest setting to get the chips burning bright and smoking before adding the fish and turning down the temperature.

Let the smoked fillets sit in the refrigerator for at least a day before serving in order to let the salt and smoke flavor distribute through the meat. You can vacuum pack and freeze salmon prepared this way for up to a year and it will be fine.
  • Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,844 Captain
    I love Publix Salmon. Great eating!
  • TideUpTideUp Posts: 126 Officer
    Jim311 wrote: »
    All the salmon I ever had was way lighter in color than that. Is that why I hate salmon? It tastes fishy to me.

x2
    Gainesville Kayak Anglers Club http://www.gkaclub.com
    The skin cooked crunchy is better than the salmon itself.
  • drkpttdrkptt Posts: 1,927 Captain
    Cyclist wrote: »
    ... Suggested woods are mangrove, button wood ...

ahem... that's a surprising recommendation from you.

I've heard this too. Do you have a stash of mangrove?
    drkptt wrote: »

Never used it. Some on here have permits to trim and they save their trimmings.
  • bonebone Posts: 1,111 Officer
    Every July and August Publix gets the fresh wild sockeye. But $7.99 best price ever. The only fish I ever buy. It is fabulous.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 9,715 Admiral
    Will do a trip to publix tomorrow.

Thanks Doc.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Fishin RodFishin Rod Posts: 2,620 Captain
    I bought four of these filets yesterday, I am 66 years old and that is the first time in my life I have ever bought fish from a store..... Cooking it tonight.
    "Be what you is"....... Isaiah Minter
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,826 Moderator
    drkptt wrote: »

I have a buttonwood stash. Get a batch everytime I go to the keys.
    "You'll get your weather"
    I did a large fillet at about 150 or so (max temp) for almost two hours. Could have cooked it less. but it was good.

I used live oak, as it was what I had. Not much alder in Florida. Suggested woods are mangrove, button wood and other mild woods. Alder is mild I believe.

I was shooting for the following recipe...
    http://honest-food.net/2012/08/12/how-to-smoke-salmon-recipe/

Missed it by a mile, but the salmon was still excellent. Cooked mine too hot and fast according to this. Too much albumen. This site is one of the all best for cooking wild game, seafood, etc. Good section on charcuterie.

If you can find this book, it's a winner.
    il_570xN.626867986_pdif.jpg

150 for 2 hours and it was a little overdone? I'm the recipe he says 120 for 2 hrs, 140 for 2 hrs and 175 for 2 hrs. I bought 3 lbs today. Following his recipe as closely as I can( I'm not optimistic I can smoke at that low of a temp). But I'll certainly start checking after the first hour and a half.
    Fishin Rod wrote: »
    I bought four of these filets yesterday, I am 66 years old and that is the first time in my life I have ever bought fish from a store..... Cooking it tonight.
    Don't feel bad, I'm commercial and I buy fish all the time.
    I am grilling some of that salmon tomorrow.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • TXWahooTXWahoo Posts: 494 Deckhand
    Doc,

I used to eat a lot of salmon but haven't in several years, for no reason really. Since you know salmon though, do you know what kind is harvested from the Copper River? I always liked it (when it was authentic) but I don't know if that is King, Sockeye, etc?
    Copper River kings and sockeye are both famous, but way overpriced. Copper River gets the earliest commercial king run in Alaska each year, so they own the market. Their kings are always over $40 per lb in the lower 48. They get a sockeye run later in the year, so that harvest has to compete with all the other sources in AK during July.

Copper river salmon are very good. They are almost all caught by small one man gill net boats that fish the bars out in front of the mouth of the river. They have never tasted freshwater. There are a couple of seafood processors in Cordova that do an excellent job of marketing. The gill net set time is very short as is the trip back to the processor, so they have a really good product. I don't know if it is worth the premium though.

We spent 10 days in Cordova in 2007 and got to see the operation up there. It's a really cool, but hard to get to place. All the local fisherman work for "the man". The seafood processors front them money to get their boats up and to keep them running during the season. Then they get their money back by taking it from the fisherman's ticket. Sort of like old time coal miners working for the company store. The interesting thing is that there was no place to buy fresh salmon in Cordova. You had to catch it yourself or buy it from a netter.

My favorite salmon in order is:

1. Yukon River kings caught right at the mouth. You can't get these anymore, but they have the highest fat content of any salmon since they have to swim 2000 miles to spawn in British Columbia without feeding in the river.

2. Cook Inlet feeder kings. These aren't going to spawn until the following year but we've caught them up to 35 lb.

3. Any other feeder king caught during the winter.

4. Bristol Bay or Copper River sockeye.

I also like freshwater kokanee (land locked sockeye) from several particular places such as Flaming Gorge and Kootenay Lake.
  • TXWahooTXWahoo Posts: 494 Deckhand
    Thanks. On the way back from Lake Francis in the Yukon, I once talked to a scientist on a river outside of Whitehorse that was counting the salmon as they passed. She told me that they didn't eat once they enter the river and that's why I couldn't get one to bite.
    I smoked 2 good fillets today. I followed the recipe provided by cyclist ( thanks again). I followed the recipe as closely as I could. Brined for 12 hours. Set this am from 4 until 2 pm getting a nice pellicle. I started at 120 degrees and kept it at a slow climb to 150 over 3 hours. Jumped up to 170 and cooked for the last hour. Brushed off the albumin / basted w real maple syrup every hour. Pulled the fish at just under 140 degrees internal temp. Used Apple, cherry and pecan wood. It turned out much better than I expected it to. I'll go get more this week. Thanks for the heads up
    I smoked 2 good fillets today. I followed the recipe provided by cyclist ( thanks again). I followed the recipe as closely as I could. Brined for 12 hours. Set this am from 4 until 2 pm getting a nice pellicle. I started at 120 degrees and kept it at a slow climb to 150 over 3 hours. Jumped up to 170 and cooked for the last hour. Brushed off the albumin / basted w real maple syrup every hour. Pulled the fish at just under 140 degrees internal temp. Used Apple, cherry and pecan wood. It turned out much better than I expected it to. I'll go get more this week. Thanks for the heads up

Good job! It's kinda hard regulating the temps with wood. I am going to try again with natural charcoal lumps. What kind of smoker are you using? The Hunter Angler Gardner Cook website as great information and recipes!
    Good job! It's kinda hard regulating the temps with wood. I am going to try again with natural charcoal lumps. What kind of smoker are you using? The Hunter Angler Gardner Cook website as great information and recipes!

Yesterday I used the egg. I used lump coal(royal oak), Apple chunks and pecan and cherry chips. As soon as a small fire was lit, I threw on the wood, place setter, water pan, thermostat and fish. I tried to smoke as low as I could without extinguishing my fire. I will certain use that site again as my first experience was outstanding. Thanks again
  • tankardtankard Posts: 6,748 Admiral
    This is good stuff, and I have stocked up too, I don't have a vacuum sealer but I am going to wrap it very tightly in plastic wrap, but that in ziplocs, drop the ziplocs in water to force the air out, and freeze.

Worked for a YFT I caught years ago.
  • Lobstercatcher229Lobstercatcher229 Posts: 4,844 Captain
    tankard wrote: »
    This is good stuff, and I have stocked up too, I don't have a vacuum sealer but I am going to wrap it very tightly in plastic wrap, but that in ziplocs, drop the ziplocs in water to force the air out, and freeze.

Worked for a YFT I caught years ago.

I recommend the vacuum sealer, I put off buying one for years.
  • hotrailshotrails Posts: 440 Deckhand
    Cant speak for all Publix, how ever Crystal River Publix is OUT of Salmon, I went to get 4 lbs sorry only have about 2 lb, well better than empty handed so suggest you hustle on Down and get some now as it looks like every one Followed Doc's advice

Doc we used to catch the Kokanee in Lake near Lodi Calif, best bait was salmon eggs, don't even think of using Kernel of corn haul your **** to Jail Right now
    Publix in Homosassa still has some, wife picked up 3 more lbs this morning.