Hogy, the one hit wonder.

I used the 10 inch eel on jig and was successful with getting nice hits. I used bone and black. The black was excellent at night time. The hooks are excellent, but will tear the mouths up, especially the smaller snook and lady fish. Yesterday, I caught six snook in early am before rise and a nice jack. I fished sunset at eljobean and after with no luck, maybe rain, who knows. The problem with Hogy, is that they get torn up real quick, several on first hit, and it is difficult to get more out of them, and it gets expensive. They work well, but don't last.

Replies

• red_magnetred_magnet Posts: 498 Deckhand
    thanks for the heads up. I bought $30 worth to target tarpon and haven't used them yet.
    I owe it all to my Granny and Bill Dance....
  • ccriderccrider Posts: 578 Officer
    Funny, I thought the exact opposite, I released 3 tarpon up to 100lbs or so and stuck probably 5-8 others in about a 7hr period on the this guy.
  • kmagnusskmagnuss Posts: 3,147 Captain
    I had similar experience as ccrider... I've been impressed with how well they hold up. Not to mention Hogy is the only place I've ever placed an order where a guy from their 'team' called me up to see how they were working and to offer some advice on how to fish them. Pretty friggin awesome if you ask me.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters
    kmagnuss wrote: »
    Hogy is the only place I've ever placed an order where a guy from their 'team' called me up to see how they were working and to offer some advice on how to fish them. Pretty friggin awesome if you ask me.

That is friggin awesome and unheard of these days. I've never dealt directly with them but will be from now on, thanks for mentioning that bit kmagnuss, good to know.
  • WadeFishermanWadeFisherman Posts: 437 Deckhand
    I was using a stiff rod and moving through a relatively strong current. Maybe it was getting hit on the tail, but whatever it would tear by the head, and if could not get more out of it, it would just slide off the jig. I used the jig they had matched up with the ten inch. I don't know what else to say, they work, but came apart too fast for me, much too fast.
  • george84george84 Posts: 13 Greenhorn
    What techniques do you use to fish that lure?
  • WadeFishermanWadeFisherman Posts: 437 Deckhand
    ccrider wrote: »
    Funny, I thought the exact opposite, I released 3 tarpon up to 100lbs or so and stuck probably 5-8 others in about a 7hr period on the this guy.

Is that a pic of a 10 inch or the seven inch?
    10 in. with 1.5 oz. jig head. The jig head was made in house at a bait shop down in Big Pine Key, it was the only one they had that would some what fit the hogy, it worked very well.
  • Captain RossCaptain Ross Posts: 289 Officer
    Wade - A tiny drop of super glue applied between the plastic and jig head will help prevent slippage of the tail. I'll normally get 1 o 2 adult tarpon per bait, the aggressive head shakes can do a number.

Snook on the other hand, I'll normally get a few fish per bait before its toast. Again, a drop of glue can keep it rigged straight on the jig and ready to catch another one.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 12,710 AG
    I have had the same problem with the large Hogy jerkbaits and jigging baits -- they simply are too fragile.

You can use much cheaper baits intended for bass fishing that work just as good -- for instance a 10" plastic worm (or even a smaller soft jerkbait) will garner just as many hits, in my experience.

There is nothing special about Hogy baits, except the price/margins.

IMO, of course....Mike