you win some, you lose some

Friday I brought my neighbors down with me to MB. We put in at the sound , {CIS}, shortly after sunrise. I thought we might have a chance to get away from the wind. I was wrong. We fished from one end to the other. Wind bullied us all day. Caught one 14" trout. We did manage to net some LY, but that didn't interest the trout. Did catch some good sized grunts on the tyndall end though. Went fishing off the MB pier that night and managed some flounder and silver trout.

Saturday I put in at Pretty Bayou and tried to cross the bay to Crooked creek. One of the neighbors got concerned and asked me to turn back. I was having a pretty hard time with the 4' whitecap chop that got us a face full of spray pretty regularly. Pulled out and drove to West Bay. Fished up the intercoastal all the way to the rock pile. Including a through hammering of West Bay creek with nothing to show. Ly were thick up there. One throw and the net must have had 500 LY just the right size in it. We threw handfuls back after filling my live well and throwing some on ice for cut bait.

Started to cloud up that afternoon, so we headed in.... Right into the fierciest squall I have ever personally been in. Could not run. Could not idle because the wind was trying to turn the boat around. I had to just plow my way along until it passed. Thinking the narrow waterway might have made it worse. Had to go back to the pier and catch enough fish to have a fish fry for the three of us.

Bad weather, but good company. We can laugh about it now.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• donald811donald811 Posts: 479 Deckhand
    Man that ICW ain't no place to be in a thunderstorm, been there , done that. Glad you caught somethin to eat though.
    Life is a lot simpler when you plow around the stump.
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,177 Admiral
    You're more the man I was! Way to hang in there. :thumbsup

Hope your good company can return when the weather is more in your favor.
  • BeckBeck Posts: 2,332 Captain
    Sounds like you gave it your best.....sounds like a rough time. At least you managed a few and stayed safe.
  • addicted2reelinaddicted2reelin Posts: 137 Deckhand
    A bad day on the water is better than a good day at work. :thumbsup
  • Ron-da-vuRon-da-vu Posts: 170 Deckhand
    A bad day on the water is better than a good day at work. :thumbsup

Amen! Hay gathering is winding down around here. We have more orders than we can find hay to cut. Gonna go public with the hay business next year. I have a new tractor ordered. Lookin for a round baler. Anyone have a lead on one? If this business takes off like I think it can, I will be pressed to make my usual number of trips down, and here I am retired and getting back into business!

Ya'll keep the fish population down so it doesn't get dangerous. Post up pics so I can drool.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • donald811donald811 Posts: 479 Deckhand
    Ron-da-vu wrote: »
    Amen! Hay gathering is winding down around here. We have more orders than we can find hay to cut. Gonna go public with the hay business next year. I have a new tractor ordered. Lookin for a round baler. Anyone have a lead on one? If this business takes off like I think it can, I will be pressed to make my usual number of trips down, and here I am retired and getting back into business!

Ya'll keep the fish population down so it doesn't get dangerous. Post up pics so I can drool.
    Ron try Dean Auction on that hay bailer. 334-693-3337.
    Life is a lot simpler when you plow around the stump.