Couple O big peacocks

Fishing for peacock bass has been heatin up lately. Seems like the fish are schooling up and getting ready to spawn again. I've been averaging around 5 fish per short trip, and had ten the other day. One was a big male over 4lbs, the other I didn't have my scale for. Always remember to not take both fish off their bed, and don't hold them in a livewell all trip for a picture at the end of the day as this can interrupt spawning or take them away from their eggs.

image_zpsdl3jvyoo.jpg

image_zpswlhzojzg.jpg

Replies

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 9,704 Moderator
    Those bumps on the head amaze me. Nice fish.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Kill N TimeKill N Time Posts: 467 Deckhand
    Nice ones! Are you throwing artificials or live bait?
  • sandwashsluggersandwashslugger Posts: 244 Deckhand
    This time of year live bait. When they start moving in shallow I throw mostly artificial as they hit harder, fight tougher, it's more of a challenge, and more rewarding. These males both had big ol knots on the I heads. The second one had stunning colors and of course I didn't bring my gopro cuz I was fishing new waters.
  • Kill N TimeKill N Time Posts: 467 Deckhand
    I think both fish look amazing! Those knots on there heads are huge! I like that no two look exactly the same. We have been doing the same as far as live bait now and we were throwing artificials a month or so ago when they were shallow. Are you still sight fishing them now are just fishing deep structure? We have been fishing deep structure for ours. Some of them come flying up from the deep and destroy our bait before it ever gets down to them. Very cool to see when the fish comes from out of no where and hammers the bait! Sometimes the bait will avoid getting eaten on the first attempt and it only seems to make them hit it ever harder on the second or third attempt! We try to target new areas every time we go down there.
    Yeah seems like most of the fish have been on structure that is close to deep water. With water temps so high tey will stay deep, but occasionally come up shallow to feed then drop back down. All about bein patient and timing
    Heading out tomorrow trying for freshwater snook or tarpon then scoutif new areas for peacocks