Home Rod Building and Reel Repair

Magnuflex Tribute

For those that remember...Magnuflex was a company that was based out of Miami and made some great trolling and surf rods, as well as the classic "Hatteras Heaver" and "Texas Surfer" series of sticks.

I had one that I landed a 10'6 hammerhead on when I was 17. It was a white glass 30# class with the stainless guides, wood handle and metal reel seat.

I got the unction to build a "tribute" rod an did some upgrades so I would enjoy fishing it while staying true to the classic spirit and colors and even included a modifed magnuflex logo in the tribute. Instead of the old metal reel seat I used an aluminum, used NLGs instead of the stainless boat guides, and used cork grips rather than wood. But the blank is a Seeker glass, 8ft and turned out to be a nice live bait / tarpon rod and a great throwback to yesteryear.

20150705_204834.jpg
20150705_204913.jpg
20150705_205010.jpg

Replies

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,725 Captain
    Great results.... If I remember correctly most of those old Magnuflex rods were built on Gatorglass blanks (and I still have a few of those old blanks for building commercial kingfish rods). Miami forty years ago (and even farther back) was the center of the saltwater angling world with outfits like Fin Nor, Seamaster, Magnaflex, Uslan, and many, many others. All of that ended years ago for the most part. Nowadays most rods aren't built in the states at all.... Wish I was wrong.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666