Home Sportsman's Kitchen

Hot Hot Hot Jerk Chicken

My wife and I have been passionately cooking and eating hot spicy and garlicy foods for years, but this Jerk rub from www.buygracefoods.com will stop even the most confident spice eater. The flavors are so cravable, it's bottled in Jamaca and costs about $4 at my local Bravo International Market in Naples. We run about 1 Tbls. per piece under the chicken skin and another 1 tsp. per piece on the outside then marinate in the fridge for about 4 hours. Preheat your grill, wipe off the Jerk on the outside of the skin so it crisps and grill it. WOWSA Crispy skin and such awesome flavor, do NOT serve this chicken with anything but cold side dishes. You know....the chemical burn and then some temperature heat is never fun.

http://www.buygracefoods.com/site/product.cfm?id=jerk_hot_seasoning_bottle

Replies

• 001001 Posts: 4,292 Captain
    Sounds good. The Publix deli just started carrying jerk turkey in the meat case. It is for slicing and makes a delish samish.
  • tfranko29tfranko29 Posts: 62 Deckhand
    I'm also loving the Jerk seasonings on Oak smoked baby back ribs.
  • TriplecleanTripleclean Posts: 6,591 Officer
    Love me some jerk!
  • Island STyleIsland STyle Posts: 35 Greenhorn
    we have been using that brand for about 2 years and it is great. They make one that is one step down but you will feel it the next day...
  • WaVeCrAzEdWaVeCrAzEd Posts: 594 Officer
    we have been using that brand for about 2 years and it is great. They make one that is one step down but you will feel it the next day...

I put that on a beef briscut one day and smoke it. Wow it was delicious
  • 1Headhunter1Headhunter Posts: 60 Deckhand
    I've never tried that one. I usually use Walkers Wood. Very good. For a side to cut the heat, try the Blue Cheese Coleslaw from Ina Garten

1/2 small head green cabbage
    1/2 small head red cabbage
    4 large carrots, scrubbed or peeled
    2 cups (16 ounces) good mayonnaise
    1/4 cup Dijon mustard
    2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
    2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
    1 teaspoon celery salt
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) crumbled Roquefort blue cheese
    1 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
    Cut the cabbages in half and then in quarters and cut out the cores. Set up the food processor with the slicing blade (according to manufacturer's instructions) and place the pieces of cabbage, one at a time, lying horizontally in the feed tube. (If they don't fit, cut them to fit lying down.) Place the feed tube pusher on top and turn on the processor. Don't push on the feed tube pusher or the slices will turn out too thick! Continue with the remaining red and green cabbage quarters. Transfer into a large bowl, discarding any very large pieces. Before you pour the dressing on the salad, save a handful of the grated vegetables to decorate for serving. Change the slicing blade for the large shredding blade and cut the carrots so they also lie down in the feed tube. Since the carrots are hard, replace the feed tube pusher and press firmly with the food processor on. Transfer to bowl with the cabbages. In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, both mustards, vinegar, celery salt, kosher salt, and pepper. Pour enough mayonnaise dressing over the grated vegetables and toss to moisten well. Add crumbled blue cheese and parsley and toss together. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours to allow the flavors to meld. Serve cold or at room temperature.
  • captainjtsmithcaptainjtsmith Posts: 56 Deckhand
    I've never tried that one. I usually use Walkers Wood. Very good. For a side to cut the heat, try the Blue Cheese Coleslaw from Ina Garten

1/2 small head green cabbage
    1/2 small head red cabbage
    4 large carrots, scrubbed or peeled
    2 cups (16 ounces) good mayonnaise
    1/4 cup Dijon mustard
    2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
    2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
    1 teaspoon celery salt
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) crumbled Roquefort blue cheese
    1 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
    Cut the cabbages in half and then in quarters and cut out the cores. Set up the food processor with the slicing blade (according to manufacturer's instructions) and place the pieces of cabbage, one at a time, lying horizontally in the feed tube. (If they don't fit, cut them to fit lying down.) Place the feed tube pusher on top and turn on the processor. Don't push on the feed tube pusher or the slices will turn out too thick! Continue with the remaining red and green cabbage quarters. Transfer into a large bowl, discarding any very large pieces. Before you pour the dressing on the salad, save a handful of the grated vegetables to decorate for serving. Change the slicing blade for the large shredding blade and cut the carrots so they also lie down in the feed tube. Since the carrots are hard, replace the feed tube pusher and press firmly with the food processor on. Transfer to bowl with the cabbages. In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, both mustards, vinegar, celery salt, kosher salt, and pepper. Pour enough mayonnaise dressing over the grated vegetables and toss to moisten well. Add crumbled blue cheese and parsley and toss together. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours to allow the flavors to meld. Serve cold or at room temperature.

Sounds delicious... will give this one a try soon.... thanks
  • tfranko29tfranko29 Posts: 62 Deckhand
    gotta love Ina!!!
  • tarawatarawa Posts: 153 Deckhand
    +1 for Walkerswood! Their hot version tore me up....delicious though. If anyone is passing through West Palm, stop by Food Town on 45th and Military. It has every ethnic food known to man and some that are not known :) Their Jamaican section is mind boggling and their Jamaican cafeteria is awesome......more food that you can eat for $5 or $6.00! Great beer prices too!
    Life Is For Service
  • Flight RiskFlight Risk Posts: 2,491 Captain
    Lived here in West Palm for 21 years, never been to "Food Town", but have been to "OXTAILS AND MORE" which is on Military Trail about a 1/2 mile north of Okeechobee, right across the street from a Goodyear dealership. What an amazing place. The wonderful aroma when you walk through the door is too much! It's a Jamaican grocery, they sell everything Jamaica. That's where I found WalkersWood jerk seasoning. (I prefer Gracie's though) Oxtails cooks some amazing dishes daily, hence, the great aroma's.
    There is another similar grocery store in Lake Park (Rosita's) that is good for ethnic foods.
    (my 2 cents worth:)

Pura Vida!
  • SaltOnTheRimSaltOnTheRim Posts: 18 Greenhorn
    When we buy it in the store, we use Walkerswood (I order it on Amazon if I can't find it locally). ALSO, we make our own as well from a recipe a friend of mine gave me (she's from Jamaica originally) - just zip this all together in a blender or food processor and then marinade your chicken or whatever in it and then grill:
    6-7 Scallions
    2-3 cloves garlic
    about 1" ginger
    1 Scotch Bonnet (aka Jamaican) Pepper (THESE ARE HOT!) - We can't find them, so we use 1 habenero
    about 2 tablespoons of dark Brown Sugar
    1 tsp dried Thyme
    2 tsp ground Allspice
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    1/2 tsp ground clove
    to taste or about 1 tsp Salt & ground black Pepper
    juice of about 1 juicy lime
    2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
    about 1/3 cup Soy Sauce

Give it a try! :)