Windy Day=back creek reds and snook 6/30

BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,727 Captain
I haven't posted a fishing report lately so thought I'd throw this one up from today.

Windsplitter (Duane) and I took a late start to suffer the heat and wind. The plan was to stay in the way back creeks to avoid the wind. Not a boat was seen all afternoon which is always nice.

We managed a few reds and maybe a half dozen snook that actually made it to the boat. We kept hooking up the snook but a bunch simply either cut us off or came unbuttoned before we could get them to the boat. It was pretty frustrating but that's fishing. A couple of reds were big enough to eat so they came home with us for dinner.

Nice day on the water as usual with Duane. All fish were on gold spoons and plastic jerk bait. A couple of pictures to prove we caught fish. I didn't take pictures of the jack, ladyfish, and even the catfish we (I) caught:)...for some reason I didn't take any pictures of the snook...mental slip at my age. No trout as we aren't targeting them anymore.

Bill
"And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."

Replies

• huntentailshuntentails Posts: 1,697 Captain
    Good Stuff You Two
    on a windy day
    :beer
    58c3c16f-8a45-4d30-b16f-bc3107cf4657_zpsplzwx9u1.jpg0af8c5e9-faa1-4c9d-81d3-c711ee6ce6e3_zpsojsft7fc.jpg
  • Catfish_HunterCatfish_Hunter Posts: 261 Deckhand
    great day on the water...
  • bigkahunabigkahuna Posts: 39 Greenhorn
    Very nice...love dem reds....:)
    You know....if you throw em back, they'll make more......:wink
  • SuperJoxSuperJox Posts: 248 Deckhand
    Awesome report! I'll have to start getting better at throwing them spoons myself
  • Wishin i was fishinWishin i was fishin Dunnellon FlPosts: 936 Officer
    Nice work guys!
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    Nicely done in this heat...
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • THINKICANTHINKICAN Homosassa, FLPosts: 560 Officer
    Good job, Bill. Keep after it and you will find the red fish with that little yellow tag. It's supposed to be swimming around down there somewhere.
    SO WHEN IS THIS "OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER" SUPPOSED TO KICK IN?
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 2,021 Captain
    Was wondering where you two have been. I figured Duane would be tied up taking Laura scalloping. Nice day fishing. I bet that yellow tag is not "way back up in the backcountry". I guess no one has claimed it yet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HammerheadTedHammerheadTed Posts: 1,256 Officer
    You guys always find the fish, even in tough conditions! Great outing!
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,727 Captain
    Ruff One wrote: »
    Was wondering where you two have been. I figured Duane would be tied up taking Laura scalloping. Nice day fishing. I bet that yellow tag is not "way back up in the backcountry". I guess no one has claimed it yet.

I haven't been posting trips on a regular basis, it's been a little slow with the high water temperature, but we still do okay enough to go out. And all the tagged redfish are probably long since been eaten or died.

Heard you are on your way back to the heat. The grass is going to make trolling for gags miserable.

And we usually do Ted but the bigger snook have been elusive lately and those two footers seem to know all the tricks in getting unbuttoned. Least we can find them on a regular basis, try to catch them, and we have no competition where we fish. Course there isn't any easy way to get back "there" which helps.

Bill
  • Biggary16Biggary16 Posts: 469 Deckhand
    I figured that you guys were still doing your Monday or Tuesday fishing trip. Good to see your still getting them out there.
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,727 Captain
    Biggary16 wrote: »
    I figured that you guys were still doing your Monday or Tuesday fishing trip. Good to see your still getting them out there.

We need to try it again now there is some water. Not Monday or Tuesday though. :)

Bill
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,843 Captain
    Come on Billy!!! Photo'z of redz but none of Da Snuke'z??? Must be your mind set after catching soooo many redz over the yearz??? As for me it's the other way around> my mind is always on Dem Snukezzz!!!!!!
    Way to get out there in the heat and get some no matter what flavor they are tho!!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • Grady-ladyGrady-lady Posts: 5,282 Admiral
    Beautiful Billy!! Gives me hope. :fishing
    I find my peace out on the sand...Beside the sea, not beyond or behind. R.A. Britt

• Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,843 Captain
    Come on Billy!!! Photo'z of redz but none of Da Snuke'z??? Must be your mind set after catching soooo many redz over the yearz??? As for me it's the other way around> my mind is always on Dem Snukezzz!!!!!!
    Way to get out there in the heat and get some no matter what flavor they are tho!!!

Well I guess You picked the right ones Bill cause I see your redfish photo is on the Front page highlights!!! Way to go Billy!!! I hope I can be like you someday when I grow up and get my photo printed there> Even holding 40+ inch Snukes they don't put my ugly **** in the highlights!! Next time I'm gonna hold the fish up in front of my face, maybe that will work??????????
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • WindsplitterWindsplitter Posts: 617 Officer
    We found a good spot where the tide was rushing across a high bar into a back bay, most of the fish we caught were stacked up behind it feeding on whatever came their way. Without the wind the heat would have been unbearable. Tom, Laura gets me on Sunday only for Scalloping :grin