Skip to main content
Home Boating

Florida Marine Tracks Review

91tiger91tiger Posts: 555 Officer
edited June 3 in Boating #1
I am just getting back from a week camping at Flamingo. I got a chance to really put Glen's chip (FMT) through it's paces. We were running 65 to 93 miles each day. We fished from outside the reef line in Islamorada during a day we decided to visit the keys and then all through Florida Bay, up the coast to Lostman's and even a little on some gulf wrecks. For the offshore we used the Navionics charts but for everything else we used the FMT chip. It was very interesting comparing Glen's tracks to the routes I traditionally run. He and I are pretty much in agreement for everywhere I went in Florida Bay. Going up the coast from the Harney and north Glen's tracks are far supperior to my traditional trails in and out of those areas. Sticking with his tracks I was in good depths the entire time even on the lower ends of the tides. Some of my routes had me running aground from time to time and I don't go up there enough to tweak the routes just right. Now I don't have to, I will just follow his trails from now on.

The satelite photo's are far superior to the others I have used as well. For Florida Bay you can just use the photos and not really worry about the trails.

Great product.

Replies

• Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 953 Officer
    I try to get stuck and mess up my props so you don't have to.

th_IMG_0434_zpsfvvnyn92.mp4
    New tracks movie near Cape Sable

IMG_0435_zpsozgn2pfo.jpg
    Crocs ahead

IMG_0439_zps5hpvz6e2.jpg
    Harper says there is a track right off the beach

We did tons of tracking last month but there was a little time for fish. Lots of Tarpon on the casting rods. No takers on the fly but I did get this permit on the fly.
    th_IMG_0430_zpsa31hfpor.mp4

Off to Sarasota and Tampa Bay for more tracking this weekend...
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    I try to get stuck and mess up my props so you don't have to.

th_IMG_0434_zpsfvvnyn92.mp4
    New tracks movie near Cape Sable

IMG_0435_zpsozgn2pfo.jpg
    Crocs ahead

IMG_0439_zps5hpvz6e2.jpg
    Harper says there is a track right off the beach

We did tons of tracking last month but there was a little time for fish. Lots of Tarpon on the casting rods. No takers on the fly but I did get this permit on the fly.
    th_IMG_0430_zpsa31hfpor.mp4

Off to Sarasota and Tampa Bay for more tracking this weekend...

There's good fishing in the winter time near that big lake where you shot the video. Not sure if you ran all the way to the gulf coast but you can. You'll also see some big croc's in the winter on the bank on the way in there.
  • HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    I ran into some complexity upgrading to a Lowrance to make use of the chip. I haven't given up yet and some opportunities are on the horizon that may allow me to be selecting a second GPS platform very soon. Hope to check out the chip not just for the tracks but for decent aerials as Chip mentioned.
  • Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 606 Officer
    Unexpectedly found myself fishing the Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge over the 4th when my son called and said his ship was in Mayport and he had leave.

Didn't have a chart, so popped in my FMT chip to look for deeper grass flats and pot holes.
    If you are not familiar w/ this place , it is shallow..............

The chip produced for redfish and trout and kept us out of trouble
    Had a great 4th on the water.

Thanks Glen and FMT.
    I absolutely love my new Florida Marine Tracks chip and wanted to post this review.

I have not fished much in Chokoloskee and had never made the run outside; I always fished in the back.

Took the FMT out there for the fist time and ran it like a local guide right out of the gate. Kept me completely out of trouble and the aerials even helped me identify fishing spots.

I ran in at dusk so reading the water was difficult to impossible. But the chip never led me wrong.

Thanks Glenn and FMT team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    How is the new Lowrance compared to previous Garmin?
  • silverdreamssilverdreams Posts: 235 Deckhand
    I also got the FMT chip and am extremely happy with it. I don't fish the keys that much, but was down for a week and that chip made things so easy.........just gives you tons of information at your fingertips and the confidence to know where you are going in unfamiliar places.
    How is the new Lowrance compared to previous Garmin?

I am much, much happier with the Lowrance. Still have the Garmin on the bird, but the processor, functionality, and ability to use 3rd party chips have convinced me never to buy another Garmin in my life.

• FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,394 Officer
    I am much, much happier with the Lowrance. Still have the Garmin on the bird, but the processor, functionality, and ability to use 3rd party chips have convinced me never to buy another Garmin in my life.

:funnypost:Agree
    What impressed me about the Lowrance was the ability to have two chips in the machine and switch back and forth depending on application.