Skip to main content
Home Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Peacock bass in south florida

fsu11fsu11 Senior MemberJAX BeachPosts: 2,122 Captain
Has anyone fished down south for peacock bass? Friday im headed to the keys and on the way back id like to stop in south florida and fish for peacock bass for an hour or so. If i only caught one id be okay just to be able to say i caught one. Any spots or ideas down there to catch one? Also is anyone familar with baits to use for peacock bass other than live bait. Or if you know a canal that holds snook id be okay with that too lol ethier one just trying to get one while im down there i dont get to go to south florida often so gonna try while im there. Thanks!

Replies

• SpongkingSpongking Senior Member Beach/ SouthsidePosts: 959 Officer
    Bright color baits. Thats my advice. Best luck with bright yellows/oranges/and greens. Either fish them on top sight fishin. Or get lipped plugs and get em down 3-5 ft. In the ft lauderdale area google earth few canals close to 95 or just west of it and you can pull over and just wander the banks for a bit. We used to hit areas generally around "marina mile" road. Forgot the canal numbers but my bro used to take us. Go with 2.5-4" baits. If theyre letting water out the spillways have a BIG popper on and may be able to hit huge snook. Not ideal time of year but theyre around.
    Kev
  • fsu11fsu11 Senior Member JAX BeachPosts: 2,122 Captain
    Spongking wrote: »
    Bright color baits. Thats my advice. Best luck with bright yellows/oranges/and greens. Either fish them on top sight fishin. Or get lipped plugs and get em down 3-5 ft. In the ft lauderdale area google earth few canals close to 95 or just west of it and you can pull over and just wander the banks for a bit. We used to hit areas generally around "marina mile" road. Forgot the canal numbers but my bro used to take us. Go with 2.5-4" baits. If theyre letting water out the spillways have a BIG popper on and may be able to hit huge snook. Not ideal time of year but theyre around.
    Kev
    Thanks kev i appreciate all advice
  • southboundchickensouthboundchicken Senior Member Posts: 711 Officer
    Boynton bch blvd go west to the first light about 1/4 mile off 95 and hang a right on to old boynton road then go about another 1/4 mile and your going to drive over a canal that has peacocks you can easily wade along the western shore and toss the baits that were previously mentioned you can also catch chiclids which are brutes on light tackle and from what i hear are pretty good fried up although i have never tried them, there are also some decent bass in that canal. It backs up to a shopping center so no worries about tresspassing my buddy lives along that canal i fish it everytime im down there
  • twirptwirp Senior Member Jax.Posts: 1,128 Officer
    Wow SBC, I thought you were taking me back home. The bridge there is right at Sky Lake sub division. I will draw up a map or Mark up google earth for you tomorrow of some other places in that immediate area. I grew up two blocks from where SBC described and can definitely get you in and around the area.
    Pathfinder-Logo-300x103.jpg
    twirp wrote: »
    Wow SBC, I thought you were taking me back home. The bridge there is right at Sky Lake sub division. I will draw up a map or Mark up google earth for you tomorrow of some other places in that immediate area. I grew up two blocks from where SBC described and can definitely get you in and around the area.

Thanks brad, hopefully i can write peacock bass off the list. I have heard they fight like crazy for a freshwater fish and theyre a very interesting fish that is only caught down in south florida. And southboundchicken thanks for the info through pms!

Hey man i grew up in the area as well and a good friend lives on that canal we use to fish and ski throughout the lake ida/lake osbourne chain ....... Had some good times growing up down there and usually make it down 3-4 times a year but no way would i ever move back ..... Lol
    Small world for sure! I lived there when Sky Lake was all woods and the Boynton mall area was a swamp. My dad and Bill Winchester owned and worked that land way back when. I used to ski Lake Ida all the time, and my grand parents had a house on Lake Osbourne. I also have a friend who lives on that canal, wonder if it's the same guy?!?! I don't get down there as often as you do, maybe once every 5 years or so. I have family in from Jupiter down to Ft. Lauderdale, but they like coming this way more than I like going that way. I will never move back down there (been here since '92), it's so bad that after being at my uncle's house for about 30 minutes, I'm ready to turn around and come home.
    Small world for sure! I lived there when Sky Lake was all woods and the Boynton mall area was a swamp. My dad and Bill Winchester owned and worked that land way back when. I used to ski Lake Ida all the time, and my grand parents had a house on Lake Osbourne. I also have a friend who lives on that canal, wonder if it's the same guy?!?! I don't get down there as often as you do, maybe once every 5 years or so. I have family in from Jupiter down to Ft. Lauderdale, but they like coming this way more than I like going that way. I will never move back down there (been here since '92), it's so bad that after being at my uncle's house for about 30 minutes, I'm ready to turn around and come home.
    oh yeah I know what you're talking about I was born and raised down there lived there until 93 when I ended up in Jacksonville.... Basically grew up in gulfview harbor and i literally lived in those canals we would hit the boat as soon as we got off the school bus mom didn't see us till the street lights came on it has definitely changed down there over the past 25 years now it is very common to see three and 4 feet long iguanas crawling around your backyard it is something else I get a kick out of it but since I discovered the redfish there is no turning back for me ha ha Ha
    Not to make yall feel old but i was born in 93 haha yall are talking about moving up here in 93 and i was just born
  • R.BoonfieldR.Boonfield Senior Member Posts: 128 Officer
    I've heard that they're plentiful at the dock at Everglades Holiday Park.... I think I read that on here actually
    Hahaha Jason....'preciate ya!
    If your lucky you might just catch a clown knife.... Ever hear of those ? Strange looking fish, the first time a caught one i was like ****?!?!? Is that??? Sumbeeoch kinda scared me when i first saw it surface.... Lol
  • windblowswindblows Senior Member Posts: 279 Deckhand
    I had to try for one when I went to the Keys a few years ago and got a couple. I actually found that some of the canals right along US1 before you got onto the Keys had some and plenty of chichlids. Just about any freshwater canal you see, even in the Homestead area is worth checking out. All kinds of weird fish around. When I was there, the peas were bedding so it was easy, but a bright Rattletrap worked well.
    Thank you to everyone that gave me advice and tips, and a special thanks to southboundchicken your info on where to go put me on my first peacock bass i ended up catching 4 today in about an hour worth of time. Im about to post up a report in the fishing reports section.
  • Reel MullarkeyReel Mullarkey Senior Member Jupiter, FLPosts: 1,873 Captain
    Congrats on the first Peacock bass! I moved to Jupiter 2 years ago and I have a great account in Boynton Beach.
    I feel the same way as Twirp and Southbound but in the opposite direction. I was born & raised in Jax but I don't think I'm coming back. I'm sure watching it develop here is the same I felt watching it develop there. We all need a change in life and I'm glad to have a fresh start in a tropical paradise.

Thanks for the details about the canal. I just need to find the time to explore it. Tight lines boys!
    Jonathan Mullarkey's
    SUPERCLEAN SERVICES
    Professional cleaning and restoration since 1999
    CARPETS - UPHOLSTERY - TILE - GROUT - MARBLE - TERRAZZO

CLEAN - POLISH - SEAL - RESTORE - PROTECT
    561-891-1236
    www.steamcleanjupiter.com