Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Mosquito Lagoon- 6/27/15 hard work pays off

1st post guys

Headed out to ML to try my best looking for some fish. Knew the bloom seems to be in full affect. Boat in the water at 5:30am and the first stop was on Tiger Shoals and decided to come in from the east towards the wreck. Knew the wind was blowing from the west, but sunlight would help us see the fish a little better.

With the water conditions **** poor knew we had to find some bait fish. We came in and I kept hearing mullet getting busted up occasionally. For about 30 minutes I keep on seeing very small schools of fingerling mullet cruising around. Suddenly I see a submerged fish keep popping up along the side of the school and finally the red tail shows. I couldn't get a cast to him, but my dad was able to unfortunately he overthrow it by about 2 ft and the leader touched his fin and he was off. This was a big red too- probably 32" to 36". I wasn't going to chase him with the push pole. We continue to work Tiger for 1 hr and either bumped singles or failed to get proper presentation to catch the reds about 6 times.

We decided to cut our loses and we headed across the channel thru Tiger and hit a small spot that was full of mullet. With the water depth decreasing there was a small channel and it was funneling glass minnows. I make multiple blind casts into this fishy area. I'm working the swimbait and out of nowhere a wake begins to follow it wham- fish on and in the box 10 minutes later- 22" red. Didn't even need to get off the platform.

Continue to work the area for 30 minutes with no further bites and we picked up and made a move to the south to a secret spot (somewhat). 10 minute run and water clarity was perfect.

We begin to push pole and drift and singles, doubles, and triple schools of redfish all over the place. Fish were very skittish so we switched to shrimp and went super quite.

Worked the area for 2 hours I went 0-1 and my dad went 2-3 on reds. One keeper 20" red and one 28" red that got tossed back. Wind started to get kick up making conditions worse so we headed back to Beacon 42 and off the water at 12.

It was good to see some clean water.

Will say one thing there was a ton of boats running around, but 42 was relatively sparse.

Anybody else getting tired of boaters running out of the channel on tiger. Saw 2 boats do this and one was a bay boat I hoped would get stuck.

Sorry for no pictures- next time.

Replies

• Panfishangler1Panfishangler1 Posts: 885 Officer
    Awesome getting to see all the red action! Thank you for the post, and welcome aboard!
    Panfishanglersigdownsized.gif
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,925 AG
    Welcome...

Nice that Dad could give you a fishing lesson....:wink :grin
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • Grape ApeGrape Ape Posts: 41 Deckhand
    I wouldn't call it a lesson when I was push poling him and putting him on the fish.

Either way think we did better than most people from what I was told.

Did see a tremendous amount of fly fishing guys out there to. Was there a tournament on Saturday?
  • Strike1Strike1 Posts: 26 Greenhorn
    Grape Ape wrote: »
    1st post guys

Anybody else getting tired of boaters running out of the channel on tiger. Saw 2 boats do this and one was a bay boat I hoped would get stuck.

Running out of the running channel ? What a concept. Thanks for practicing catch and release in a declining fishery.
    Strike1- not sure your meaning, but boats running on plane or idle out of the channel "so yes what a concept".

Yes I did practice my 1 fish and caught it and released it into the cooler and so did my dad, amazing concept.
    Strike1- not sure your meaning, but boats running on plane or idle out of the channel "so yes what a concept".

Yes I did practice my 1 fish and caught it and released it into the cooler and so did my dad, amazing concept.

The channel you are referring to on tiger in a designated running channel so you could probably expect boats to be running there. The sky is also blue.

What a comedian, I hope you will keep us all laughing as the redfish become more and more scarce. The recent tagging program over this past 2 years has shown that the redfish do not not leave the lagoon so the more you keep, the worse the catching will be. Kepp living for today and there will be no tomorrow.
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    Glad you found good water and the fish.

I think the guy giving you grief about keeping your fish is a little jealous.
  • marcograymarcogray Posts: 38 Greenhorn
    Good job on finding them. Stack and freeze them, right..
    Guns, Confederate flag, Dukes of Hazard and now Redfish.. Come on!
  • AceDawgAceDawg Posts: 111 Officer
    He said the boats were running out of the running channel.......meaning they were running outside of the designated area. Also the state allows 1 redfish per person per day within size limit. If it was really a problem there would be a no harvest for them, I also doubt they have tagged every redfish in the lagoon.........
    On a side note redfish are plentiful, perhaps a change in tactics or location, step outside the comfort zone. The fish are very skiddish in the lagoon because of all of the boats making them harder to catch or find. They aren't being eaten by everyone
  • SouthJettySouthJetty Posts: 588 Officer
    :Spittingcoffee
    You shoulda been here yesterday.
    AceDawg wrote: »
    He said the boats were running out of the running channel.......meaning they were running outside of the designated area. Also the state allows 1 redfish per person per day within size limit. If it was really a problem there would be a no harvest for them, I also doubt they have tagged every redfish in the lagoon.........
    On a side note redfish are plentiful, perhaps a change in tactics or location, step outside the comfort zone. The fish are very skiddish in the lagoon because of all of the boats making them harder to catch or find. They aren't being eaten by everyone

Yes, there are tagged fish in the lagoon. It was a recent study done this year. I have tagged a few and caught and seen some with tags. 5 of the fish recaptured were caught in the same proximity as they were originally caught... and thats after being released in New Smyrna by the South causeway. Also, the lagoon is not the same as the rest of the state. It is a different fishery.
    marcogray wrote: »
    Good job on finding them. Stack and freeze them, right..
    Guns, Confederate flag, Dukes of Hazard and now Redfish.. Come on!

Did you have ole glory flying while fishing Halouver this weekend ?
    Strike1- you need to research/ understand and maybe fish more the lagoon on red schools.

There is several different sized schools that travel the lagoon year round. In addition the breeder's travel- a charter captain I know who has been fishing the area since early 80's knows there is 2 breeder schools just on mosquito. One that travels north from the lagoon out to Hailifax and out ponce. The second which mingles in the lagoon during certain times of the year and travels south out the lagoon down south past KSC causeway maybe out to Sebastian.

The other slot sized schools hang out year round, but are generally separated by the north and south lagoon.

Lets get this thread back to the point reports on Mosquito.
    Strike1- you need to research/ understand and maybe fish more the lagoon on red schools.

There is several different sized schools that travel the lagoon year round. In addition the breeder's travel- a charter captain I know who has been fishing the area since early 80's knows there is 2 breeder schools just on mosquito. One that travels north from the lagoon out to Hailifax and out ponce. The second which mingles in the lagoon during certain times of the year and travels south out the lagoon down south past KSC causeway maybe out to Sebastian.

The other slot sized schools hang out year round, but are generally separated by the north and south lagoon.

Lets get this thread back to the point reports on Mosquito.

If you say so... Been fishing your buddies "secret" schools for years and now refuse to because of the circus that ensues. The fish around the inlet are not the same fish as in the lagoon.
    Scroll down and read capt. Michael Savedow's fishing report. Keep on telling yourself that keeping fish in the lagoon is good for it. Another fish that swam from NSB to be back in the lagoon.