Home General Hunting

How's the Venison holding up..?

I was down to 1 Backstrap...getting scary. :cry
Traded 1 and a 1/2 Grouper for a fat Doe last week. All processed and in zippy bags. I'm good for a Month or so.:grin
Hogs are down to a front shoulder.
Too many skeeters in the swamp to fire up the Feeder and sit till 8;30 dark.
Might miss Cocktail hour at the Fire pit if I did that....:cool:
Killin and Grillin :grin

Replies

• Lc-hunter86Lc-hunter86 Posts: 2,927 Captain
    Im still working on mine...and prolly will be for some time lol
  • #1 DDH#1 DDH Posts: 111 Officer
    I'll be good for a while yet as well. Bout all I eat anymore, no complaints though.
  • arrowheadhuntarrowheadhunt Posts: 204 Deckhand
    Still have some ground and a few steaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • DoradoDreaminDoradoDreamin Posts: 2,020 Captain
    Still have enough to get me through till deer season starts again. Ready to sling some arrows again.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,930 AG
    Little ground left
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • nativetroynativetroy Posts: 307 Deckhand
    Two packs of Straps, plenty of ground and some steaks. It'll make it to season I think. Been substituting in lots to fish lately.
  • omegafooomegafoo Posts: 3,127 Captain
    Gone...100%. Door was left cracked open on the freezer from Friday through Monday because the middle basket wasn't pushed all the way back in. It's all gone, 30lbs of smoked links, 20lbs of hamburger, 10lbs of patty sausage, misc cuts along with mahi, red snapper, grouper, AJ, baby limas, speckled butter beans, white acre peas, peaches...

*sigh*

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • AllenRAllenR Posts: 2,702 Captain
    That sucks bro. I am about to drag out a bunch of meat and pressure can it.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 7,290 Admiral
    omegafoo wrote: »
    Gone...100%. Door was left cracked open on the freezer from Friday through Monday because the middle basket wasn't pushed all the way back in. It's all gone, 30lbs of smoked links, 20lbs of hamburger, 10lbs of patty sausage, misc cuts along with mahi, red snapper, grouper, AJ, baby limas, speckled butter beans, white acre peas, peass

Your makin me Cry..Had that happen last year . Freezer had about 50 pounds of Chum in it too.
    I noticed the Blow Flys first...:hairraiser
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • nativetroynativetroy Posts: 307 Deckhand
    Ouch, I know how that feels. Electrical socket shorted, lost venison, birds, fish. Did turn the ground venison into a chum for a tiger shark and two cobes though.
  • BatemasterBatemaster Posts: 1,701 Captain
    No venison last year. Still have a lot of pork though.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,162 Moderator
    Out of hog (didn't kill one last year) 2 packs of ground and 1 pack of cubed strap.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • RobertRRobertR Posts: 301 Deckhand
    I put 2 Fla deer, one Ohio deer and 2 wild hogs in the freezer last year..We ran out of hamburger last month..I ground up some roasts for burger. We still have about 10 pounds of deer and 1/2 of a 200 hog to go. I plan on grinding a fresh hog for smoked link sausage in july
  • flydownflydown Posts: 6,464 Admiral
    omegafoo wrote: »
    Gone...100%. Door was left cracked open on the freezer from Friday through Monday because the middle basket wasn't pushed all the way back in. It's all gone, 30lbs of smoked links, 20lbs of hamburger, 10lbs of patty sausage, misc cuts along with mahi, red snapper, grouper, AJ, baby limas, speckled butter beans, white acre peas, peaches...

*sigh*

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is No Bueno!~
    DYING for me was the most HE could do. LIVING for HIM is the least I can do
  • flydownflydown Posts: 6,464 Admiral
    I'm down to stew meat for Chili. Nanny's beware!
    DYING for me was the most HE could do. LIVING for HIM is the least I can do
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 11,775 AG
    my last pot of venison chili is in the fridge, made it yesterday.
    People use statistics the way a drunk uses a street light, for support rather than illumination.
  • omegafooomegafoo Posts: 3,127 Captain
    AllenR wrote: »
    That sucks bro. I am about to drag out a bunch of meat and pressure can it.

I might do a bit more of that this year. Don't have a problem with it being ruined in the freezer AND I've got a plentiful supply of BBQ sandwich meat!
    flydown wrote: »
    This is No Bueno!~

So true - I was so mad I could barely talk. At least I didn't have chum in the freezer like Turner <puke>
    flydown wrote: »
    I'm down to stew meat for Chili. Nanny's beware!

With an empty freezer, I think I'll be knocking down a couple slick heads this year.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,107 Moderator
    Weve been eating it 3 times per week. Still have LONG way to go.

I killed 6 and a guy gave me 2.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
    Weve been eating it 3 times per week. Still have LONG way to go.

I killed 6 and a guy gave me 2.

I had a rare year where I killed 5, and a buddy gave me 2. I haven't eaten a whole lot until recently. I raised meat chickens this spring, and when they came due for processing I had a (bad problem to have) with little to no room to put everything. Been on a deer eating binge lately
  • ReelAffair23ReelAffair23 Posts: 788 Officer
    Lost the majority of my meat (two deer) along with a head i was going to have mounted. GFI outlet trip in the garage freezer. Took me 3 weeks to get the smell out of that freezer. Doing a euro on the head instead.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,107 Moderator
    Lost the majority of my meat (two deer) along with a head i was going to have mounted. GFI outlet trip in the garage freezer. Took me 3 weeks to get the smell out of that freezer. Doing a euro on the head instead.

Not sure what's worse... that scenario, or two years ago when all of mine (plus other goodies) were STOLEN. Its pad locked now. At least no odor with mine, but I also had a different type of stench under my house.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • FCHCFCHC Posts: 207 Officer
    put 260 pounds of Venison in freezer for 2014. still working on about 100-120 pounds. did really well last season between me and 3 kids. 13 deer, we were able to give 4 to friends and family.
  • CyclistCyclist Posts: 23,346 AG
    I was down to 1 Backstrap...getting scary. :cry
    Traded 1 and a 1/2 Grouper for a fat Doe last week. All processed and in zippy bags. I'm good for a Month or so.:grin
    Hogs are down to a front shoulder.
    Too many skeeters in the swamp to fire up the Feeder and sit till 8;30 dark.
    Might miss Cocktail hour at the Fire pit if I did that....:cool:

Ate some pork rubs yesterday. Boiled em in a vinegary mix with cilantro, onions, peppers then baked em until crisp. Raining to hard to grill. Never was one for boiling first, but they were excellent and tender and NOW the freezer is down to a ham, front leg and a venison ham. Family reunion this coming weekend should put a hurting on the rest. Oh my.
    Cyclist wrote: »
    Boiled em
    :kick
  • NinjaNinja Posts: 60 Deckhand
    I hate to hear the open freezer stories. It's happened to me too.

I'm down to 6 packs of Cubed steak. 2 Ground packs and 1 Backstrap.
  • cuda141cuda141 Posts: 619 Officer
    ****, been there done that too. My daughter unplugged the extension cord to charge her iPhone while she washed her car, forgot to plug it back in, lobster, fish, deer, hog, and a 6' rattle snake I shot with my bow that I was gonna have mounted...pissed!!!! Made her throw it all away and clean the freezer 😳
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Capt. Cuda's Parts & Charters
    http://www.cudascustoms.com/index.htm