Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Bad Trips and Spitting Oysters

Went this past Saturday and Wednesday (after work) down to Sebastian with a couple guys new to fishing. Figured it was worth the drive down there because I was CERTAIN we'd catch fish: Saturday morning was early, early, early, and Wednesday it was overcast all afternoon. Perfect, right? Except for the fact that it wasn't.

Both times water in the river was low, low, low. I thought I knew where to avoid paddling to stay away from submerged oyster beds and such - learned a few more during these past trips.

Saturday was ok - caught three snook and a red (all snooks on a Zara Spook Pup, and the red on a DOA Shrimp absolutely coated in scent gel). Also saw two small sharks in the shallows and thought - hmm..fun... So I caught a ladyfish, hacked off a chunk and tossed it out while I continued to fish, thinking I might get lucky. About 20 mins after doing that rod just goes berzerk. I turn around and see it's almost out of the dang rod holder and - without thinking - quickly turned my adrenaline fueled body to the right to grab it.
And knocked my favorite small rod and reel overboard. // BTW, If you happen to snag a small ugly stick rod and a Penn Battle 1000 in approx 5-6 foot of water, you know where to find me... //
I cursed, of course, but at least I had my shark on so figured I'd get him in and bemoan the rod later. Except it wasn't a shark. It was a catfish. A monolithic, gargantuan, gigantic, stupid waste of a fish catfish.
I lost a good rod and reel over a dang catfish.
I cursed more. And loudly.

Wednesday went back to the river expecting better tidings. Didn't lose a rod, but I caught absolutely zilcho. Nothing. Couldn't buy a bite - not even a ladyfish. Peddling around in my Hobie I spotted some bait activity - finally - and started heading that way only to hear CRUNCH...
Mirage drive smacked into an oyster bed I've probably paddled or peddled over a hundred times before. Never saw it and only the low water level of the river even put me in its reach. Yes I was able to do some quick on-water repairs, but still...

And on both trips I kept seeing what I thought to be bait activity in the shallows. Turns out it was just exposed oysters squeezing water though themselves while awaiting the tidal change.
So, yeah - Sebastian oysters were spitting at me.
A fitting salute from nature to my fishing attempts.

Tight lines and better luck to all,

Replies

• duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,928 AG
    Well, You did have some fish on Saturday..I bet some people had to work instead...

Next time...Sebastian owes you!
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • Panfishangler1Panfishangler1 Posts: 885 Officer
    Man I woke up at 4:45am after working all week at 5am.. Got on the water in Titusville before sunrise and didn't catch a thing. Everything I hooked ended up spitting the bait after 1 second.... So there I'm done. That's my report, under your report.
    Panfishanglersigdownsized.gif
  • dwbiggsdwbiggs Posts: 37 Greenhorn
    Yeah got a lesson in low water oyster beds myself down there...was idling towards railroad trestle and as we were fishing around the docks on the south side...figured I could just go under the trestle there...ended up teetering on an oyster bed. Good thing I have a welded Jon...the prop isn't pretty anymore though. Such are the trials and tribulations of a 50 year old who has never owned a boat in his life. :rolleyes
  • MSW_SatelliteBeachMSW_SatelliteBeach Posts: 212 Officer
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    Well, You did have some fish on Saturday..I bet some people had to work instead...

Next time...Sebastian owes you!

Sebastian still owes me. Went this morning and...nothin. Well, ok, not nothing - I caught a **** gar. A GAR.

I didn't break anything and didn't drop anything overboard but man it was rough. I threw everything I could think of - topwater zara, DOA CAL, DOA shrimp, mirrodine, jerk bait, various plugs... Maybe I shoulda taken some small wrenches with me, A-LA Palm Beach Pete
  • Pescatoral PursuitPescatoral Pursuit Posts: 5,065 Admiral
    How come you're not chasing Tarpon and sharks off the beach?
  • MSW_SatelliteBeachMSW_SatelliteBeach Posts: 212 Officer
    How come you're not chasing Tarpon and sharks off the beach?

I dunno. I've never launched from the beach, and I'm confident I'd screw it up, so when/if I take this on I'd have to go with a group who knew what they were doing.

I generally fish the river because I don't necessarily have to worry about anything in the water eating me (alligators and sharks). Yeah I know there are gators in Sebastian, and bull sharks in the IR, but neither mess with me (probably, I'm assuming, becasue of the constant boat/canoe/yak traffic.

Maybe one of these days I'll try it.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,928 AG
    You need to hook up with Palm Beach Pete...he is dialed in. :thumbsup
    Maybe you can trade him a few open end wrenches for a lesson.... :grin
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • dwbiggsdwbiggs Posts: 37 Greenhorn
    Tarpon all up in Crane Creek Sat.