Home South General Fishing & The Outdoors

PE 6/25 offshore

Went out yesterday on a solo mission. Had a dozen hoo and live pilchard. Started at 8 miles , 8-11 miles held the best weeds, but no signs of life. Got to 12, saw a weed on outrigger, pulled it- weed came off then bam! Thought I was imagining things. 12lb cow. Ventured into the gulf stream. About a mile away I see 4 birds diving , I think it's all over. No one around me. Finally after 10 minutes I get there, birds are taking turns diving. Then I see the giant 6 inches to the fork dolphin go for the flat "you gotta be kidding me" caught and released. Began trolling south at 6.2 mph, but gps says 0.6-0.9 the current was ripping. 20 minutes goes by... Zzzzzz . Another ok cow. 20 minutes later another tiny dolphin. 20 minutes later see a big floating bag- like a bushel bag, had triple tail - dropped lives -nothing. Trolled more another baby. Saw a board , smaller size, nothing . At 10:00 zzzzxz a baby and a schoolie. 10:45 nice mat 11 miles out, saw three schoolie swim to spread no takes , but hits , and believe me I'm a loose drag person. Went in, was at color change , Live baiting, got wrecked for 5 seconds and it got off, never got to set hook.

Soo there's a few out there, they are far, birds are eating the small dolphin lol (sometimes). Wonder if there's anything over 20 out there anymore.

Replies

• T-LUV2T-LUV2 Posts: 389 Officer
    Sounds like you had some action and were able to bring home some dinner! Good job buddy! Those 20 pounders will come when you least expect it.
  • MGDMGD Posts: 1,233 Officer
    "Wonder if there's anything over 20 out there anymore."

Far?? You may not have gone far enough.:willynilly

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?195103-Late-report-Boca-Saturday
  • sammy2189sammy2189 Posts: 998 Officer
    Which way was the current moving? I'm asking cuz there a kayak tournament tomarrow any I wanna go as far opposite of where the current moving!
    Hobie outback
  • rivamunstasteverivamunstasteve Posts: 694 Officer
    20+ miles is far in my 19ft boat. but I would do it, use to go to the wall in the keys every now and then. It's a lot of gas, but they should be anywhere in the stream. Just have to et lucky. Never believed that money caught you fish, but perhaps it's changing.

Sammy.. The current is moving north past the reef... In 150-200 ft it was moving north at 2.5mph.
    It has nothing to do with how far you go out. You Just have to be in the right place, at the right time with the right presentation!
    T-LUV2 wrote: »
    It has nothing to do with how far you go out. You Just have to be in the right place, at the right time with the right presentation!

Ok
    You hang out inside with all the boats and all the micro fish..the more that do...the less that are further out.
    And how much more money can it be?
    In a 19' boat (and I get not venturing too far in that, I do) fuel consumption going to 12 or 20 is probably not much different
    MGD wrote: »
    Ok
    You hang out inside with all the boats and all the micro fish..the more that do...the less that are further out.
    And how much more money can it be?
    In a 19' boat (and I get not venturing too far in that, I do) fuel consumption going to 12 or 20 is probably not much different
    I agree with you 100%! When I fish for dolphin, I like to go 20-30 miles to get away from the 1,000 boaters that will pull up to you in an instant when your on fish. It's nice to get away from that However, that has nothing to do with what we were talking about. My point is, you do not have to run that far out to find good dolphin! I'm sure others will agree.
    Yea, I find myself pushing further bc of having my own space, and fishing the way I like too instead of playing avoid the boats game. I grew up in the keys, never had that problem down there. But it's different here. Check out this pic of a guy who pulled up on me right after I caught a fish the other day. No one was around, look at all of them looking at me lol.

T-luv is right on. There are so many boats that leave the port, esp on sat and Sunday , that if an enemy countrys navy was out there, they would retreat at day break.

The biggest ones I've caught this year were by color change. And the biggest in 70 ft. Yeah it's crazy but there can be a big boy following a turtle for a while during the full moon, who knows.

Either way I will be out there where I can fish my zone on my tiny Tim boat. Thanks for everything guys and I'm sure you both have good intentions. I will be going out next Monday- to avoid the fleet!
  • gsweavergsweaver Posts: 856 Officer
    nice job. i was out again today out to 900 ft from pe up to hillsboro and nothing to show for it but a good time on the water with my son. scattered weed everywhere made it impossible to troll. only saw 1 free jumping mahi. will try again next week.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2012 DUSKY 227XF SUZUKI 175
    21 off Boca
    Plus 6 schoolies
    Nice job buddy. A friend of mine got a 30lbr 8 miles out today. Lol
    Nice job buddy. A friend of mine got a 30lbr 8 miles out today. Lol

Heard him on radio
    Good fish