Home General Hunting

Best round for wild bear

2»

Replies

• icy1155icy1155 Posts: 123 Officer
    Yep, definitely possible. Looks like the bear gave him a perfect shot, slightly quartering away with front leg extended. What are the chances a bear will stay around long enough to give you that shot if you don't have him sitting at a bait station for minutes but is instead just passing through?
  • flydownflydown Posts: 6,464 Admiral
    RobertR wrote: »
    I know a guy who killed a Canadian Black bear with a bow he made from a mullbery stave, and a arrow head made of obsidian, arrow was river cane ..the guide told him after the shot that he had never saw a bear die so quickly from an arrow..

"I can kill a deer or buffalo
    With just my arrow and my hickory bow
    From a hundred yards don't you know
    I do it all the time

They all gather 'round my teepee
    Late at night tryin' to catch a peek at me
    In nothin' but my buffalo briefs
    I got 'em standin' in line" :wink
    DYING for me was the most HE could do. LIVING for HIM is the least I can do
  • David BDavid B Posts: 1,907 Captain
    I used a Ruger Super Redhawk chambered in 41 mag. He fell out of the tree graveyard dead before he hit the ground. My father shot one at close range with a 38 special. It was tearing into our popup camper as we were sleeping. He gave the camper away the next day.
    Shot placement means everything. Those hunting bears for the first time should look at the anatomy and bear targets to get a good understanding.
    Increasing MMGW or climate change, one twist off at a time.
  • mickmick Posts: 162 Deckhand
    Skunk Ape wrote: »
    I'm so Ninga life, I'll rip a bears heart out with my bare hands and show it to him before he dies.
    :cool
    persistence is the womb in which success is carried full term.
  • bgeorgebgeorge Plant City FLPosts: 1,652 Captain
    Some group should organize a 3d shoot where all of the targets are bears at different angles and call it a training session. May have to get several clubs to put all their targets together to have enough.
    The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones. Hopefully the next man is not dropping his stones on the mountain you are trying to move.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,107 Moderator
    bgeorge wrote: »
    Some group should organize a 3d shoot where all of the targets are bears at different angles and call it a training session. May have to get several clubs to put all their targets together to have enough.

I've been reading up and watching vids. Not too much of a shift from deer... in theory. I think a shred of research and common sense should result in good shot placement on small to average bear. I could see a little bear fever and not so well-defined lines and contours becomig problematic for a first timer like me, though.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
    Been talking to some that have hunted them with bows before and their opinion was big kill area and should be no big issue.
    The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones. Hopefully the next man is not dropping his stones on the mountain you are trying to move.
  • NinjaNinja Posts: 60 Deckhand
    Nice. That's what I was thinking. Good luck everyone. Hope no one gets skunked.
  • Skunk ApeSkunk Ape Posts: 3,855 Captain
    I've decided to go with a 10 ga 3 1/2" mag goose gun.
  • AllenRAllenR Posts: 2,702 Captain

I have one if you need to borrow it

RPG here.
  • creekgeekcreekgeek Posts: 893 Officer
    I think a shred of research and common sense should result in good shot placement....
    P80, I can already see that you are likely to be doing this the right way but I think you are being awfully optimistic about the "the common sense" that might be exhibited by the rest of the ya-yas running around our woods come late October! I think I will just take the wife and kids north for some fall leaf viewing that week...something I would never have agreed to in "normal" times during my favorite month of the year! :-)
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,952 AG
    Heck with a new gun, this is the way I'm a gonna do it.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »
    Do you have your well ventilated bear proof food storage container designed that will be hung in the tree above the rock? May be able to have one welded up from expanded metal and angle iron and designed to have locks on it. You do not want a bear to get your tree stand snacks or have them in the tree with you just incase a female with cubs show up to take them from you. Are you going to import a rock or use a big limestone one from the region?
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 10,952 AG
    bgeorge wrote: »
    Do you have your well ventilated bear proof food storage container designed that will be hung in the tree above the rock? May be able to have one welded up from expanded metal and angle iron and designed to have locks on it. You do not want a bear to get your tree stand snacks or have them in the tree with you just incase a female with cubs show up to take them from you. Are you going to import a rock or use a big limestone one from the region?
    prolly gonna use native as bears are sensitive to change.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    ANUMBER1 wrote: »

Awww.... that just makes me sad. Reminds me way too much of a handful of dogs that l miss.
  • RobertRRobertR Posts: 301 Deckhand
    I was in a lease near Ocala that was full of bears..they should have had this hunt years ago.. WGI_0154_zpsf978d5cb.jpg
  • If_it_flies_it_diesIf_it_flies_it_dies Posts: 1,133 Officer
    I'm guessing my 12 gauge with a sabot would do the trick. Within 100 yards anyway...
  • JRussellJRussell Posts: 1,411 Officer
  • Alan BuchananAlan Buchanan Posts: 58 Deckhand
    I imagine that any large game cal is fine. If a .270 piles up a 300lb hog, I trust it on a bear. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot ANYTHING with a 12g slug.
  • David BDavid B Posts: 1,907 Captain
    JRussell wrote: »
    444 Marlin is a good round.

44mag, 30-30, 35rem, 444 Marlin, 45-70

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435580017.131479.jpg

I have a Marlin 1895 chambered in 45-70. Old timers called it a "close gun". Said that you need only be close as it was so mean that the bullet passing by would kill them. I shot plenty of deer in the thick Maine woods with that rifle. Few if any moved farther than one body length when shot.
    Increasing MMGW or climate change, one twist off at a time.
  • flydownflydown Posts: 6,464 Admiral
    Based on the shortage of ammunition, I've decided to hunt with a Donk. :Horse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufDTDUPZrag
    DYING for me was the most HE could do. LIVING for HIM is the least I can do
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,607 Captain
    On the last day of legal bear hunt in Florida to date, I had a Winchester 30/30 in my lap. Proven Tradition.
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • MojitoMojito Posts: 222 Officer
    My goal is to kill a bear, boar, and a deer in the same day.

Raise your bar a little and add a bull gator and a panther. You could be the first with the single day South Florida Big 5 slam. Of course we would have to pick a day when a panther attacked you, but thats just logistics. I got a 22 hornet that will irratate all of them for you.

Dream big my friend, or go home.
    Bob
  • binellishtrbinellishtr Posts: 8,797 Admiral
    I heard someone was going to pay BIG BUCKS for a S Fl Slam.. minus the Cougar
  • MojitoMojito Posts: 222 Officer
    I heard someone was going to pay BIG BUCKS for a S Fl Slam.. minus the Cougar

Well, I have three of the 5 to hunt at my place. We would have to go across the street for the other 2.