Skip to main content
Home Photography Corner

Need a new RAW processing editor

FlashFlash Senior MemberChiefland/Cedar KeyPosts: 12,483 AG
Looks like my Nikon ViewNX 2 that came with my D7100 has given up the ghost. Reinstalled it a couple of time and it does not recognize the NEF files anymore. Seems to be a known issue. So at any rate. Don't want to spend a bundle but would like a simple program to continue processing my RAW files when I do shoot them. What are you all using?
I do have Photoshop but it is an older version 7.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield

Replies

• ChuckcChuckc Senior Member Posts: 4,397 Captain
    Did you make sure there's not a newer version of ViewNX2 on Nikon's site?

**** is free but the UI is more than a bit clunky. Zoner does RAW conversion and is cheap. Paint Shop Pro also converts RAW and is pretty cheap.

Not sure about Lightroom.

I shoot RAW + Large Fine JPG and typically just use the .JPG files. Lazy I am.
  • FlashFlash Senior Member Chiefland/Cedar KeyPosts: 12,483 AG
    I will check out the Nikon Site first Chuck, thanks.

My current version does open and show the NEF's, but when I go to open one for editing, it gives me an "unsupported file type".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
    Looks like I may want this one instead of View??

>>Capture NX-D photo processing software lets you realize the full potential your Nikon digital camera and lens, producing images with the unsurpassable quality envisioned by our designers. It offers features specifically designed for post-processing of RAW images and provides them in an intuitive, easy-to-use form. In addition to processing RAW images, it can be used to enhance JPEG and TIFF images taken with Nikon digital cameras through adjustments to brightness, contrast, tone curves, and more.<<

>>Use ViewNX-i to copy pictures taken with your Nikon digital camera to your computer, where you can enjoy them and use them in a variety of ways. Although designed primarily as an image browser, it can be used with other software to add enjoyment to the post-shooting experience. It also supports map displays based on image location data and can be used with social media and other web services. It includes a ViewNX-Movie Editor for easy movie processing and editing. When used with Capture NX-D version 1.2.0 or later, it can be used to fine-tune JPEG and TIFF images and convert RAW photos to other formats.<<

Or, do i need both of them??
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I guess it depends on what your workflow is currently and how much you like what you used before. I would probably look into Lightroom before I spent money on Capture NX.
    Chuckc wrote: »
    I guess it depends on what your workflow is currently and how much you like what you used before. I would probably look into Lightroom before I spent money on Capture NX.

Capture NX is also free. I was thinking from what I read about the View NX-i, it is just a transfer system to get images from camera to computer. I just use windows explorer for that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Flash wrote: »
    Capture NX is also free. I was thinking from what I read about the View NX-i, it is just a transfer system to get images from camera to computer. I just use windows explorer for that.

I may be wrong about the Capture NX being free, this may be just an update to the program.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Capture NX used to cost money.
    Chuckc wrote: »
    Capture NX used to cost money.

It did, both of those were upgrades. Had to read closer. I then looked around and found a full program of ViewNX2. Removed my old one and install the newer version. Back up and running again.

Who said cows are stupid??
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Glad you are back in business. I don't blame the cows at all, I'd be under the sprinkler too as hot as it has been the past week or so.
  • mississippi macmississippi mac Senior Member Ocean Springs, Ms. (da coast)Posts: 4,222 Captain
    zoner is surprisingly good and it's cheap as well...
    I think it's around $90 but has a lot of great features including reading raw files...
    I pretty much use it all the time and topaz plugins work with it as well...

tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002