bear question...

Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,090 Moderator
I read through yesterday's presentation at meeting.

Nowhere did I see where choice of weapon will be limited. 10/24 will be season opener for bear. That is also my deer archery opener. Am I restricted to archery on bear, or can I bring rifle and bow to stand... rifle for bear?

Also... on the check stations. I saw the proposed stations. Looks like mine would be a pretty good haul. I wonder how many harvests go unreported after well intentioned hunter gets it home and realizes he's gotten away with it and then opts out of reporting. For the law abiders, what are we supposed to do with afternoon shot bear? I get it home then what? Field dress, skin, leave sex evidence then hang in my walk in cooler (everybody has one them right?) Until my hour drive to check station next day? Why not let us self report like alligator? I'm also not wild about FWC taking tooth from my bear skull, but oh well. I can understand that.
"Whatcha doin' in my waters?"

Replies

• icy1155icy1155 Posts: 123 Officer
    I think there will also be "mobile" agents that will check bears. I read something about that, but I cant remember all of the details at the moment.

As far as what to do with the animal, that's what I'm trying to figure out. If I do get one, the what? Up north, we can skin it and hang it in the garage for a week or two, but with one down here the only thing I have been able to think of is finding a cheap full size refrig on craigslist and putting it in the garage. Then put the quarters in to hang and age, but I will need air flow of some sort as well.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,090 Moderator
    Mobile agent would be fantastic, as I'd like to quarter and ice asap. I did not remember reading that.

Any idea on rifle and archery during archery on private property?
  • flydownflydown Posts: 6,464 Admiral
    I believe the weapon used will depend on the season currently in place. But I could be wrong. Transparently, I have absolutely no desire to shoot a bear with a gun. However, darting one with an arrow might be fun.
    DYING for me was the most HE could do. LIVING for HIM is the least I can do
  • DJWDJW Posts: 538 Officer
    I would think that if you are in possession of the bear permit, which you had to buy BEFORE the season started, that you can have a rifle with you.
  • DJWDJW Posts: 538 Officer
    And you can open carry while hunting or fishing so seems reasonable that rifle is allowed.
    Fly - that's what my gut was telling me, but I can't find any language to effect of, "may only hunt in accordance with current (deer?) Season."

I have plenty of desire to pop one with rifle. Not wild about carrying pack and two weapons to woods, but I figure with no bow I'm sure to have lifetime buck at 20 yards. My plan would be to have bow on ready for deer and rifle safely elsewhere for bear. Those guys can't see squat. I'llsslowly change weapons and pop him! Who am I kidding? It'll be the first year in 10 that I don't see a bear opening day. May well be the case... Deseret has cut a LOT since their acquisition. I'm sure thats created some deer / bear corridors and concentrated them somewhere, but that won't be my property.
  • RexLanRexLan Posts: 868 Officer
    Do the proposed/new regs state the meat must be harvested or just the hide and skull?

My guess is that a late summer/fall bear will be pretty raunchy.
    Port Charlotte, Florida
  • bonebone Posts: 1,139 Officer
    With No hunting within 100 yards of feed or bait?! So few Bears will be taken none of this will matter.
    You gotta check bear in.... somewhere.

Also, wanton waste illegal, so reasonable attempt recover must be made... of course IMO.

Raunchy? Maybe, but I'll try anything once. I'm sure if you retrieved, kept hide and skull then discarded the meat if it was bad you'd be within the law. Also sure your actions would be frowned upon.
    I drew the third Picayune Strand hunt, which overlaps with bear season so I can hunt bear in there. I'm just worried about what the .338 Win Mag I'll be taking out the weekend of bear season there will do to a deer or hog. Things might get a little messy.
    bone wrote: »
    With No hunting within 100 yards of feed or bait?! So few Bears will be taken none of this will matter.

I saw bears half my sits past two years throug mid Nov. No bait. And nobody around me baiting. I think through the decades of folks baiting deer and no bear pressure they come to check you out upon entry to woods...like a giant grouper in park. They hear / smell human activity and even with no feed, they think that's coming. If they close enough to notice me, they come say hey.

I'm in a pretty thick pocket of them. Certain that if a few get popped they'll learn pretty quickly that our presence is not ameal ticket. Yes, I understand that stanpoint would suggest ban feeding all together, which I support in some situations but certainly not in all.
  • bgeorgebgeorge Plant City FLPosts: 1,634 Captain
    If you are on a WMA with a quota draw hunt you will be restricted to what the legal method of take for that WMA is. If you are on open hunt you can use a rifle. Much educating to be done. I know they have a list of WMA zone by zone and what the legal gear will be. Give them time to get back to the office and take a breath. You should start to see a whole lot of details now that the hunt passed.
    The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones. Hopefully the next man is not dropping his stones on the mountain you are trying to move.
  • JoshAaron91685JoshAaron91685 Posts: 723 Officer
    I read through yesterday's presentation at meeting.

Nowhere did I see where choice of weapon will be limited. 10/24 will be season opener for bear. That is also my deer archery opener. Am I restricted to archery on bear, or can I bring rifle and bow to stand... rifle for bear?

Also... on the check stations. I saw the proposed stations. Looks like mine would be a pretty good haul. I wonder how many harvests go unreported after well intentioned hunter gets it home and realizes he's gotten away with it and then opts out of reporting. For the law abiders, what are we supposed to do with afternoon shot bear? I get it home then what? Field dress, skin, leave sex evidence then hang in my walk in cooler (everybody has one them right?) Until my hour drive to check station next day? Why not let us self report like alligator? I'm also not wild about FWC taking tooth from my bear skull, but oh well. I can understand that.

So, in Ocala for instance, Archery ends the 25th, ML starts the 30th. Are we SOL the 26th through 29th or do we get to use ML for bear only the 25th through 29th since state regs are ML Oct 24th through Nov 6th?
    Each BMU has its own start date if memory serves me correctly. While bear is open, and until target take is reached, I imagine you will of course be able to hunt bear.

Question I have, and you do too apparently, is one... what weapon is allowed. And two... is that same for public and private.

I can't possibly imagine you being Straight Out Luck between Archery and ML if your bear season spans that time.

Like bgeorge said.. still a lot for them to iron out and then info that needs be disseminated. I'm just excited to have opportunity to hunt something for first time!
  • bgeorgebgeorge Plant City FLPosts: 1,634 Captain
    Central BMU
    Etoniah Creek WMA: October 24-26 and 30, muzzleloading gun only. Quota permit required.
    Jumper Creek WMA: October 24-26, muzzleloading gun only. Quota permit required.
    Lake Monroe WMA: October 24-30. No quota permit required.
    Marshall Swamp WMA: October 24-25, archery only. Quota permit required.
    Ocala WMA (Except Church Lake Unit): October 24-30. No quota permit required.
    Ocala WMA – Church Lake Unit: October 24-29. No quota permit required.
    Ocala WMA – Church Lake Unit: October 30, muzzleloading gun only. Quota permit required.
    Rock Springs Run WMA: October 24-26 and 30, muzzleloading gun only. Quota permit required.

It appears that the noted when method of take is restricted. Other than that on private and no quota you can walk the big iron.
    Seminole Forest WMA: October 24-25 (mobility-impaired hunt). October 30, muzzleloading gun only. Quota permit required.
    Tiger Bay WMA: October 24-30. No quota permit required.
    The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones. Hopefully the next man is not dropping his stones on the mountain you are trying to move.
  • GrillfishGrillfish Posts: 114 Officer
    So, in Ocala for instance, Archery ends the 25th, ML starts the 30th. Are we SOL the 26th through 29th or do we get to use ML for bear only the 25th through 29th since state regs are ML Oct 24th through Nov 6th?

I have that same question, Josh. Similar to SF, so what happens to those days not listed as a hunt. Mobility and Muzzy fall at the start and end, but there are days where the WMA is not open for hunting. Is that WMA closed down to hunting?

A lot ore info needs to come out....
    You gotta check bear in.... somewhere.

Also, wanton waste illegal, so reasonable attempt recover must be made... of course IMO.

Raunchy? Maybe, but I'll try anything once. I'm sure if you retrieved, kept hide and skull then discarded the meat if it was bad you'd be within the law. Also sure your actions would be frowned upon.

All of my experience says that the hide and skull must be salvaged from black bears but not the meat, which is considered inedible, unless it is a spring bear (Jan - May). This is not considered wanton waste unless the hide and skull are not fully salvaged.

Regulations can certainly be written for political purposes but as a practical matter a late summer/fall bear will indeed be a "treat" for the enlightened few. It's right up there with wild bison!

These guys say Hey! Saw them on one of the surveys and they sure were curious about the airplane. Most are smarter!

Bon Appétit !
    Port Charlotte, Florida
  • N. CookN. Cook Posts: 2,101 Captain
    Well....of course the easiest way is to simply note that WMAs do have hunts (deer) that have days and method of take restrictions, some quota-some not, and that "bear" is simply added to the list of game allowed to be taken during those hunts (days open for the WMA hunt only)....using the already established restrictions on method of take...ie. bow, muzzleloader or general gun.
  • GrillfishGrillfish Posts: 114 Officer
    From page 10 of the Bear rules from FWC.

Wanton waste rule would be clarified for all game (e.g., deer, turkeys, squirrels, quail): No one shall “…waste any game that has been wounded or killed by that person while hunting. For purposes of this paragraph, "waste" means to intentionally fail to make a reasonable effort to retrieve a wounded or killed animal and render it
    for consumption or use.”

http://myfwc.com/media/3061967/11A-RulesForLimitedBearHuntingSeason.pdf

So it says consumption or USE.

To me if you don't plan on eating the bear you shoot or give it away for others to eat, don't shoot a bear. I've always followed that approach that has been driven into my brain from the start of my hunting life, back 33 yrs ago in PA.
    Grillfish wrote: »
    if you don't plan on eating the bear you shoot or give it away for others to eat, don't shoot a bear. I've always followed that approach that has been driven into my brain from the start of my hunting life, back 33 yrs ago in PA.

Yep. My cousin once shot a muskrat that was pestering him all morning long while he was deer hunting. We cooked it up that night and ate it all because that's how we were raised. And if anyone is wondering, the meat tastes exactly like you would expect... musky and ratty. Neither one of us has ever shot another.
    icy1155 wrote: »
    Yep. My cousin once shot a muskrat that was pestering him all morning long while he was deer hunting. We cooked it up that night and ate it all because that's how we were raised. And if anyone is wondering, the meat tastes exactly like you would expect... musky and ratty. Neither one of us has ever shot another.

Hahaha... good for you. If I get the opportunity to take a bear in Florida (which would be my first bear period) I'm going to take it. I'll also try eating it... prepare for worst and hope for best!
  • gatortrout19gatortrout19 Posts: 244 Deckhand
    It would've been nice to know some of these details before we applied for quota hunts if it was just going to get thrown on top of the deer/hog quotas. Doesn't surprise me though.
    Hahaha... good for you. If I get the opportunity to take a bear in Florida (which would be my first bear period) I'm going to take it. I'll also try eating it... prepare for worst and hope for best!

Grind some of the hind quarter after it is drained real good and use it in your world famous chili ... will be better than the deer meat IMHO. I would pre-cook it a bit also.

As soon as you kill it and have it cleaned put a spreader stick or two in the ribs to keep the cavity open and get the hide off of it pronto. It can spoil in a matter of hours with the hide on. Take some plastic or soft muslin cloth the Walmart sells cheap (~$2/yd) and wrap the meat so you can sort of keep it clean getting it out of the woods. Check their scrap table and maybe find cheaper stuff.
    Port Charlotte, Florida
  • N. CookN. Cook Posts: 2,101 Captain
    Bear has to be treated like hog.....they carry all the diseases and are more like pork than beef and like all game their fat can be bad for the taste.....but, I have eaten bear several times in my younger days.....an old man in the woods I stayed with occasionally would put a "spring bear" in his freezer....being a spring bear and a young one at that probably helped....but it was ok, sometimes just a little stringy....should BBQ good and, as said, make good chili like dishes...
    Yep, in my experience we have handled bears pretty much like what RexLan said, other than we also packed the chest cavity with ice to help it get cool quick. The faster you get it skinned and cooled off the better the meat will be. The one my father got a while ago tasted quite good. It was a fall bear, but it was also from up north so I'm not sure how that affects taste.
    Well, seeing as most of us will only get one or two chances to sit for a bear, I guess hauling an ice cooler to woods is no big deal. I've never removed hide with any precision from the ground. If I got so lucky I'd like to take my time with it. Maybe gut it where it lies, then move to a tree limb somewhere with block and tackle to skin / wrap / ice. Or... pick out tree ahead of time, move bear as it fell, then hoist / gut / skin at once.

I've seen some bear (used to see one nearly every sit, but he vanished within a month of archery opener after I got some new neighbors... draw your own conclusions) that
    Have been outright N America trophies. "Moving" one of them... again, if so lucky... in and of itself will be no easy task. Given their high volume / surface are ratio, I can see where getting hide and guts quickly would be a huge plus.

I think I read sex organs in tact for check in. I'd like to go ahead and remove that system with guts. Maybe we can just bring organs with us. After all, FWC has been DNA testing populations with hair from barbed wire. Can't they sex the bear easily with hair sample using paid for / understood / existing technology?
    If you harvest a male, it says that the "sheath" is enough evidence so you can remove the actual "organs".

As far as getting them out of the woods goes, I cant forget the time I was a kid helping my dad get a 350lb black bear out of the woods in NY. It took 4 of us to drag it about 25 yards to an overgrown logging trail. At that point we were almost dead so my father went and got our tractor and a chainsaw. We cut our way in to it, strapped it so it was sitting on the trailer hitch of the tractor and drove it home. The face of the one person who came up the road and saw a bear sitting on the trailer hitch with my cousin and myself each sitting on one of the wheel wells each holding an arm to keep it upright is something I will never forget. That guy must have had a hell of a story when he got home.
    Icy... I can picture that now. Too funny. If I got so lucky my only option (have no four wheeler) will be to get on the horn and hopefully get a hold of some neighbors. It'll be opening weekend of archery, so there should be plenty of people in woods.
    Having watched a few videos on skinning for full body mount, or rug... I imagine doing it on ground would be better. Looks much easier to ensure symmetry and straight cuts.

I definity have cart ahead of horse here, but it can't hurt to begin plan. Last thing I'd want would be dead animal on my hands and no good game plan for NEXT steps. Just because its an unfamliar animal and relatively low-odds hunt is no excuse to not be prepared with planned post harvest procedure.

Did my first alligator hunt maybe 6 years ago... Buddy made all kinds of fun regarding my planning. When we, as novices, ended up with a couple decent gators on our hands at 3am it was nice to have all gear, large cooler and ice at house and cleaning / hide preservation know how under control.