Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

320 is the Magic Number...

That's how many bears the State is going to allow to be harvested in October.

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/state/florida-wildlife-officials-approve-bear-hunting
There's nothing more enjoyable than suprise morning sex...
Unless you happen to be in jail at the time.

Replies

• omegafooomegafoo Posts: 3,127 Captain
    Yep. Going to get me a permit. Got access to 78 acres in prime bear country in Wakulla County :machinegun
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 15,738 AG
    You can probably hunt right in Winter Park/lake Mary where the idiots feed them out of their back yards and do not get bear proof trash cans then complain they are a nuisance.
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
    You can probably hunt right in Winter Park/lake Mary where the idiots feed them out of their back yards and do not get bear proof trash cans then complain they are a nuisance.

Do you expect more from a bunch of South FL yankees? :wink
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,859 AG
    I thought 4:20 was it? at least that is what a long haired dude with droopy eyes told me :cool:
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • cracker4112cracker4112 Posts: 920 Officer
    With the rules in place, ie no dogs or bait, 50 will be a stretch...
  • LiveLineLiveLine Wakulla County, FloridaPosts: 2,060 Captain
    omegafoo wrote: »
    Yep. Going to get me a permit. Got access to 78 acres in prime bear country in Wakulla County :machinegun

Is that the family property in Sopchoppy? If so, bait won't be needed. Just hunt on Monday morning, that is garbage day.
  • dewyafishdewyafish Posts: 5,025 Admiral
    With the rules in place, ie no dogs or bait, 50 will be a stretch...

Quota will be filled before season ends.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Posts: 2,235 Captain
    This would probably be considered "baiting", but if not, do this:

Take about half pint of bacon grease, one can of Red-Top salmon, and an ounce or so of anise oil off the spice shelf at Publix. Start 4-5 days before the season opens and mix all of the above together in a bucket. Stir it a couple times a day leaving it outside in the sun to "ripen"! Then the day before, or even two days before the season opens get a cheap pair of tennis shoes and paint/soak/cover well all of the shoe with this crap slopping some up on your pants to about the knees. Soak a rag a couple of square feet in size in the stinky junk and tie it on a piece of line/rope to drag behind you. Then take off walking through the woods where you're going to hunt. Cover 2-3 miles. If any creeks are going to be crossed, take a half pint or so of the mushy liquid crap and drop 3-4 ounces of the liquid right on the bank or on a rock in the creek where the water splashes up and carries the odor downstream. Cover/walk even 3-4-5 miles if you can, and end your walk right at your stand where you'll be hidden. Hunker down and get ready!!!

This may not be legal - probably isn't - so I'm not advocating rigging a drag. Just telling you one of the favorite methods of pulling in a bear that is used in research projects in wildlife management studies. This was commonly, and very successfully, used by the U of Tenn in their studies, and this wildlife management school was considered to be the leader in black bear research back when I was in school at the UGA in wildlife/forestry. God but that's been over 50 years ago....I'm getting older'n dirt :willynilly
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 8,946 Admiral
    They'll have to average 45-46 bears a day for 7 days Oct. 24-30. I don't think it'll be hard to do. How do they do a limited hunt? Do they lottery off the permits?
    LiveLine wrote: »
    Is that the family property in Sopchoppy? If so, bait won't be needed. Just hunt on Monday morning, that is garbage day.

No, that's not the family property there - that's in the process of being sold, I think? I'm not sure where it's at these days. That's in the M-I-L's hands and dealing with the 40000 other people tied to that property :willynilly

This is down near the prison off Old Plank. Biggest bear I've ever seen was on that property. Easily 500lbs. Seen others, too, that weren't nearly as big.
    stc1993 wrote: »
    They'll have to average 45-46 bears a day for 7 days Oct. 24-30. I don't think it'll be hard to do. How do they do a limited hunt? Do they lottery off the permits?

No lottery. From my understanding anyone can buy a permit. The first 320 +/- successful hunters to check in a bear at the required check station are the lucky ones. The rest just donated $100 to FWC for, what I'm guessing, might be black bear research and education.
    According to FWC documents, the state agency wants hunters to harvest 240 to 280 bears statewide in this year's first hunt. That would include 40 bears from the eastern Panhandle, 40 from North Florida, 40 bears from Central Florida and 80 to 120 bears from South Florida.

40 bears ain't that many.
  • tk's joytk's joy Posts: 2,490 Officer
    Somebody could come and get that one out of my side yard in MB. Last trip, in the front room saw a movement, looked out the window and there he/she was, just strolling around. A minute or so later just walked back into the woods by the house. Kinda' un-nerving taking the Wonder Dog out late at night, course the Wonder Dog would make short work of that bear........right.

tk
  • tk's joytk's joy Posts: 2,490 Officer
    Not sure whether to be more afraid of that cat or the bear. Dog wouldn't like either of them for sure.

tk
  • fathomfathom Posts: 315 Officer
    They need to have a year round no tags necessary open season on urban bears then just deduct the number taken from the allowable number of the next hunt. The problem is urbanized bears not the total number of bears in the woods. It's realized that they are foraging because of lack of food in their habitat, but why take the bears that are staying in the woods?
    fathom wrote: »
    They need to have a year round no tags necessary open season on urban bears then just deduct the number taken from the allowable number of the next hunt. The problem is urbanized bears not the total number of bears in the woods. It's realized that they are foraging because of lack of food in their habitat, but why take the bears that are staying in the woods?

Hard to call it a hunt when Yogi is sitting on the trash can eating a jelly donut and waving at the cars going by.
  • fathomfathom Posts: 315 Officer
    Bears are very intelligent. I don't know if they will be smart enough to figure out that if they stay in the woods they will get shot but if they hug the homes they are safe, but they just might.

The only reason they are allowing any bears to be taken is because of the recent bear attacks. My idea of leisure hunting would be to open up the trash containers, set up on the deck and wait while enjoying some beverages of choice. Not very sporting but this method will produce the desired effect of thinning the herd.
  • tapatetapate Posts: 5,263 Admiral
    fathom wrote: »

Fwiw, on Oyster radio they indicated nuisance bears would be able to be taken with a permit on a case basis.