6/22 Snookin'

Haven't been out fishing with Robbie for a while and we both had something we had to do, but there is always a few hours for fishing. We left the dock at 5:50 to late incoming, choppy water and a light breeze. There was a storm just south offshore that made us wonder about our choice, but it never threatened us close. Constant lightening and thunder though. Robbie had the big fish of the day on first and after a good battle, it gill plated the line, but we saw enough to know it was a big one. Then I got a fat 32"+ fish, which was a welcome relief. I was starting to feel like Pete (Snook Spanker) said he felt when he hadn't caught any big ones in a while. Robbie struck back with a lower slot jumper that he was messing around with too long and it came unhooked right beside the boat. Then Robbie brought a 27"+ fish to the net. He had broke one lure off, broke a rod and lost 2 fish....finally success! The bite didn't last long, shutting off about 8am with only a few Jack after. Robbie was using his secret jerk bait and it out fished my topwaters. Great fun though! Back home early.

Replies

• corkytwocorkytwo Posts: 10 Greenhorn
    awesome job got to love them snook:fishing
  • SuperJoxSuperJox Posts: 248 Deckhand
    Still looking for my first nature coast snook. Nice catches guys
  • Biggary16Biggary16 Posts: 469 Deckhand
    It figures the time I don't go with you the snook start chewin again. :banghead
  • shuterkngshuterkng Posts: 869 Officer
    Seems to be alot of snook this year ...love it nice job
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,727 Captain
    Biggary16 wrote: »
    It figures the time I don't go with you the snook start chewin again. :banghead

:)

I'm thinking he and Robbie have a secret place that they don't take anyone. All I catch when I go with him is reds.

Nice fish guys...love the fact that the snook are around.

Bill
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
  • fitnastfitnast Posts: 142 Officer
    Good job on the snook, nice fish
  • Ruff OneRuff One HomosassaPosts: 2,021 Captain
    shuterkng wrote: »
    Seems to be alot of snook this year ...love it nice job
    Looking at Butch's post, there are hundreds off shore spawning. Just need to get that over so they can all come back to Crystal River!! Nice job Ted and Robbie. Of course they have a secret place, Billy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HammerheadTedHammerheadTed Posts: 1,256 Officer
    Billy wrote: »
    :)

I'm thinking he and Robbie have a secret place that they don't take anyone. All I catch when I go with him is Reds.

Bill

Yea, this place is so secret that neither Robbie or I had ever fished for Snook there before! I could take you to my secret places, but I wouldn't be able to bring you back....:grin
  • RedbonzRedbonz Posts: 4,538 Captain
    Glad you got them figured back out....
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • huntentailshuntentails Posts: 1,697 Captain
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,843 Captain
    Sweet job on the Snukez Gize!!! Any day you get that many chances w/ Dem Dagburned Snukez it's a GREAT day in my book!!! As you stated Ted, once you get that "Snook Fever" in yer head the withdrawal's can hurt real BAD!!! Especially if the guy standing next to you is catching or even just hooking up and they are not interested in what yer throwing!!! My body is starting to shake just reading your post!!!!
    As for fishing, my boat and trailer seem to be ready now after getting help fixing up my trailer from some of my Forum Bro'z but now my trolling motor is on the Fritz!!! Anyone who knows anything about Snuking around these partz knows a trolling motor is a MUST!!! So hopefully I can get it working again soon??
    One point I'd like to make or maybe just guess on??? (Maybe Doc can chime in?) Those snook in the photo's have pretty flat bellies but I know that they spawn through late Sept. if the water temp and moon phase is to their liking. So do snook feed up solo between full moon's and recharge their reproductive system's then meet up w/ the big deep water schoolz to make babies????? Being a S.E. Snooker for almost 30 yearz I know that the Big schoolz of spawner'z stay in or near the Big inlet'z feeding off and on whatever may drift by or over them. Over here we know that our spawning school'z are roaming around off shore reefs (Butch's video) but I don't personally know where they spawn or how they behave between moon's????????/? These are pieces of a Big puzzle that I would love to fill in to help w/ my Snuke Fever w/drawl's!!!!! Any answers or guesses would be greatly appreciated!!! I know that there'z a lot of much better fishermen than me out there and maybe between us we can better figure out these Big West Coast Girl'z???????
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • Wishin i was fishinWishin i was fishin Dunnellon FlPosts: 936 Officer
    Nice work Ted, good to see you on them again!
  • PONCEPONCE Posts: 5,946 Admiral
    Atta boy brother TED:applause:Rockon:crowd:hail