Best food sources to look for in southern polk county?

redsnookredsnook Posts: 47 Deckhand
Picked up an archery permit for WIW for the first few days in October. I know the general area I want to hunt as I hunted it last year. Tracks galore, bunch of good pics, and saw a decent amount of deer from the stand, just way out of range. Where I was at, they could bed just about anywhere. If I'm not mistaken, the hunt will be before the rut, so if I'm right, I should be focused on finding their best food source, and look for trails or natural funnels that will be leading to these food sources? So in early October, what is the top couple food sources I should be looking for? I'm going to start scouting this weekend, so any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Replies

• james 14james 14 Posts: 3,021 Moderator
    Acorns won't be falling yet and there will still be a lot of green so areas that you find with a lot of deer now should still be holding by that time. I'm not sure how many hunts will take place before yours. Pressure before your hunt can change things a little bit but that's hard to predict.
  • Lc-hunter86Lc-hunter86 Posts: 2,927 Captain
    If the place has scrub and palmettos scrub oaks and palmetto berries should be on fire. Myrtle oaks and sand live oaks are a sure fire early archery food source. Can't rule out the possibility of laurel oaks and water oaks stRting to drop either.
  • Gone_FishingGone_Fishing Posts: 1,184 Officer
    If there are "field acorns" or low scrub oaks, the deer don't have to wait for them to fall off the trees. They will pull them off.
  • redsnookredsnook Posts: 47 Deckhand
    Tons of scrub oak and palmettos (that's about 60% of the terrain) mixed with some strands of pines. Is there any way to tell if palmettos will produce berries? I see them all the time where the berries have been picked/eaten off. Are they like some oaks where they won't produce every year ?
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 2,894 Captain
    redsnook wrote: »
    Tons of scrub oak and palmettos (that's about 60% of the terrain) mixed with some strands of pines. Is there any way to tell if palmettos will produce berries? I see them all the time where the berries have been picked/eaten off. Are they like some oaks where they won't produce every year ?

They ought to be developing berries right now. They have green to yellow stalks that can be several feet long usually in the heart of the palmetto clump. If you've ever seen big palms seed out, its not unlike that. Just at knee level. The berries start as flowers and the develope into green fruit that will turn yellow and then black as they ripen.
  • AllenRAllenR Posts: 2,702 Captain
    redsnook wrote: »

Could be berry poachers, especially in that area...