Weekend Fishing

Saturday 6/20

My buddy had some friends come down that wanted to fish so I mated for him during the day to help gets his friends on some fish. Got 140 pilchards from Dave and off we went. Saw 2 sails free jumping in about 40ft of water but skipped them to get into something deeper. Found a weedline in 110' with only bonitas on it. Moved deeper out to 200-300ft. No bites. Well we thought no bites. As we reeled in the deep rod it had a small BFT attached to it. Weird thing was he wasn't hooked. The circle hook just around his tail. We must have been dragging in backward for a long time because he came in dead as a door nail. Owell sushi for us. We start trolling and see more free jumpers before coming up on a group of sail. Must have been 5 of them. Pitched them pilchards but they wouldn't eat. Decided after that fail to go hit bullshark and play with the groupers. Pretty sure the biggest fish these guys had caught were stripped bass and when we told them we were sending whole 15-20lb bonita down as bait I think they thought we were joking. First dropped yeilded a nice fish around #400lbs. Second drop nothing. So I hand lined the bait in and following it is a true mosnter of a grouper. It ripped the bait off the hook and had to be ever bit of 600+ lbs. Kinda glad we didn't hook him. Made one more drop and got a huge nurse shark before calling it a day. Ran into the sandbar and used a leftover pilchard to catch 25" trout.

Today 6/21

Dad wanted to go snapper fishing so we went snapper fishing. Loaded the wells will sardines headed off to a shallow reef. Forgot to bring the wire as the kingfish were super thick. Had to stop live baiting cuz it was cut off after cut off. Did get 2 bonita for cut bait and did land one of the kings somehow. We ending up getting some nice mangroves, triggerfish, and yellowtail which will be joining us for dinner tonight. Had some 4 muttons but all of them were 14-15". Lucky bastards avoided the dinner table. Had a small black grouper as well. After we ran out of live bait we called it a day. Not a bad weekend. Only way it could have been better is if maybe it wasn't so **** hot out.

11138513_625111181081_1909099427912000737_n_zpselhpbmcf.jpg
10150719_625346763971_6155468281319350940_n_zpsl0epivve.jpg
11204917_625111046351_4362207832081254304_n_zpsiymkydmu.jpg

Replies

• LastMangoLastMango Posts: 4,574 Officer
    Those are great pictures... We are yet to get a Goliath over 200lbs boatside... One day! :)
    attachment.php?attachmentid=131572&d=1399127702
  • fishknutfishknut Posts: 3,928 Captain
    Nice variety of fish right there, congrats.
    Fail to plan, plan to fail.......
  • captaintjcaptaintj Posts: 443 Deckhand
    great weekend on the water
    IoT-All thing connected
    GPS Tracking Solutions
    Affordable Fishing Panama, Panama
  • greenie-slayergreenie-slayer Posts: 727 Officer
    LastMango wrote: »
    Those are great pictures... We are yet to get a Goliath over 200lbs boatside... One day! :)

Use the bigger bait and usually you'll get the bigger Goliaths. Then its just a matter of using the right gear and having good teamwork to make sure you keep constant pressure on the fish and keep of out of the wreck. As always make sure of a healthy release so others can enjoy getting there **** whooped my these fish.
  • SpinHookSpinHook Posts: 76 Greenhorn
    Great job putting them on the fish, nice pics!
  • Fi$h2nguyenFi$h2nguyen Posts: 7,782 Moderator
    Sounds and looks like fun!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keeping busy while away from Florida

https://www.youtube.com/user/UFpwrLifter/videos?view_as=public