Skip to main content
Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

First Trip With The New Kayaks 6-16

anglerbros 7286anglerbros 7286 Senior MemberCrystal RiverPosts: 658 Officer
Just bought two 12' fishing kayaks. The Perception Striker 11.5 is the big green 1 extremely stable, wide can stand and fish all day didn't come with a seat so it was uncomfortable for now and is a tri hull design with 4 built in rod holders on the back. The Perception Pescador 12 is the grey 1 and is narrow so slightly tippy, very fast goes straight well and came with anchor trolly rod holder paddle bungie and is a great fishing kayak. Both have their pros and cons, don't know which I prefer yet. Went to the south side of the barge canal with kayaks because I normally wouldn't go back there in a boat. Caught a Jack on shrimp then a red way back in a creek. HOW DO YOU CATCH REDS!? lol that's all I could think all day. I'm noisy as hell I bet, scare everything and throw the wrong lures at them. I've seen and read the question a million times. But I'm not big on those shads rigged weedless, I've tried spoons. I use jigs with a doa alot since you can work them anywhere except rocky areas it seems but I've caught reds, snook, trout, bass, snapper, jacks on them so I have comfort with them making it hard to not use it.

Go Pro Video

https://youtu.be/sB46yq8Q-eM

Replies

• SuperJoxSuperJox Senior Member Posts: 248 Deckhand
    I'm more for stability. I have bad balance and had a pompano 120. I fell off a few times and wished I had the vessel to stand in. That's just me. It takes practice being quiet and remember if you're being stealthy you shouldn't be in a hurry. I really like how you practiced getting in from the water.
  • RedbonzRedbonz Senior Member OcalaPosts: 4,538 Captain
    It will be like learning to fish all over again... Time on the water...
    If it don't fit force it. If it breaks it needed replace anyways. :banghead
  • surfmansurfman Senior Member WC FLPosts: 6,017 Admiral
    Kayaks are a great way to fish I use mine all the time, you just need to use it more and you will learn to love it, they are great for launching and exploring areas that you would never do in a boat and you would be surprised at what you can catch way up that creek.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • ron153ron153 Junior Member Posts: 8 Deckhand
    Just read your post and watched the video about the new kayaks. Looks like you and Meghan had a lot of fun. Good luck with them and hope you catch a lot of fish. We are up north for the Summer. Hope to catch up with you again the Fall.
  • Snook SpankerSnook Spanker Senior Member Inglis / YankeetownPosts: 1,849 Captain
    Go Megan>Go Megan>Go Megan!!!!! Lookz like you two had a blast w/ yer new toyz!!! Those getting into the Yak video's were funny as Hell!! After a while you will be sliding right up to a sitting position in one move!! Stay safe, catch lotz of fish and have a Blast w/ yer new fishing machinez!!!!!
    I am'z what I am'z and that'z all that I am'z!! > Popeye!
  • anglerbros 7286anglerbros 7286 Senior Member Crystal RiverPosts: 658 Officer
    They are very different kayaks and can't decide if we both want the grey one or keep the two different ones since the green one is so stable. Anyways any ideas where we should go tomorrow? Wanna take them somewhere new
  • SuperJoxSuperJox Senior Member Posts: 248 Deckhand
  • Wishin i was fishinWishin i was fishin Senior Member Posts: 984 Officer
    I agree with ozello, pay attention where you go though. It's easy to get disoriented around all those little islands.
    Tomoka on the east coast is ok, and the state park going into Cedar Key with the campground has some good shallow backwaters to explore or the the first ramp going into town. Really there are a lot of places to explore around there.
  • Biggary16Biggary16 Senior Member DunnellonPosts: 469 Deckhand
    Looks like fun. Yankeetown is good too. If you go in the barge canal tomorrow I can give you a tow. I'll be there real early.
    Change of plans my friends wanted to go out in the boat tomorrow, bummer lol
  • Luv2YakLuv2Yak Banned Alachua CountyPosts: 944 Officer
    Nature Coast Kayak Fishers http://fishingkayaks.us/

Nature Coast Lady Anglers http://www.naturecoastladyanglers.com/

Forgotten Coast Kayak Association http://www.fcka.net/phpbb3/

Gainesville Kayak Anglers Club http://www.gkaclub.com/home.html

http://www.jaxkayakfishing.com/
  • PONCEPONCE Senior Member Big Bend FlaPosts: 5,946 Admiral
    Stealthy machines brother, enjoy.
  • TideUpTideUp Senior Member GainesvillePosts: 126 Officer
    That fine line between stability and speed/tracking is what all kayakers battle haha I started with the shorter stable option and have since upgraded to a Jackson Cuda 14' and it has a bit of both. If you're big on sight fishing go with stability or visa versa. If you have to have both, they have other kayak options like a pro angler (expensive) or a stand'n'fish system (also expensive). Plus there's lots of homemade outrigger ideas too if you want to go that route. Anyways, congrats on the purchase and hopefully I'll see you on the water!
    Gainesville Kayak Anglers Club http://www.gkaclub.com
    TideUp wrote: »
    That fine line between stability and speed/tracking is what all kayakers battle haha I started with the shorter stable option and have since upgraded to a Jackson Cuda 14' and it has a bit of both. If you're big on sight fishing go with stability or visa versa. If you have to have both, they have other kayak options like a pro angler (expensive) or a stand'n'fish system (also expensive). Plus there's lots of homemade outrigger ideas too if you want to go that route. Anyways, congrats on the purchase and hopefully I'll see you on the water!

I'm hoping to make a ruter and outriggers so my fast and straight kayak can be even better at handling and stable with outriggers. The green striker is stable and no hope for speed but a ruter can help the constant spinning it does can sight fish when you go in a circle. I would love to go through a new area with experienced kayakers and figure out which areas are productive I think you can stalk and fish a lot of areas in a kayak. Instead of in a boat if you move you can't fish it cuz they kno ur there lol
  • YackedupYackedup Senior Member AnthonyPosts: 149 Deckhand
    Redbonz wrote: »
    It will be like learning to fish all over again... Time on the water...

Boney u never learn to fish in the first place :spin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Formally known as Anvil :spin
  • Grady-ladyGrady-lady Senior Member east of the river, west of the woodsPosts: 5,282 Admiral
    Just bought two 12' fishing kayaks. The Perception Striker 11.5 is the big green 1 extremely stable, wide can stand and fish all day didn't come with a seat so it was uncomfortable for now and is a tri hull design with 4 built in rod holders on the back. The Perception Pescador 12 is the grey 1 and is narrow so slightly tippy, very fast goes straight well and came with anchor trolly rod holder paddle bungie and is a great fishing kayak. Both have their pros and cons, don't know which I prefer yet. Went to the south side of the barge canal with kayaks because I normally wouldn't go back there in a boat. Caught a Jack on shrimp then a red way back in a creek. HOW DO YOU CATCH REDS!? lol that's all I could think all day. I'm noisy as hell I bet, scare everything and throw the wrong lures at them. I've seen and read the question a million times. But I'm not big on those shads rigged weedless, I've tried spoons. I use jigs with a doa alot since you can work them anywhere except rocky areas it seems but I've caught reds, snook, trout, bass, snapper, jacks on them so I have comfort with them making it hard to not use it.

Go Pro Video

https://youtu.be/sB46yq8Q-eM

If I could design the perfect fishing kayak for me - it would have the width and stability of the Striker 11.5, the molded footrests and a completely open bow for landing fish.

A couple of things I've learned while fishing from a kayak. It can be a bad thing when a fish comes loose and lands in the boat, and/or the hook/lure bounces back toward your face. I'm older and much less agile than you, so I use a net to land fish so I can remove the hook without a fish in my lap - picture catfish. That's where an open bow is convenient - a place to lay the fish in the net while I remove the hook. I had mr gl crimp all the barbs on my hooks. I'd rather lose a fish than paddle several miles to get home with a gold spoon dangling from my cheek.

I don't know if using a net is the right way, but for me it is the safest/easiest way...and with short arms (to match the rest of me:)) gives me the best and most stable use of both hands.
    I find my peace out on the sand...Beside the sea, not beyond or behind. R.A. Britt