Beach Snook

Beach Bite has been really good on these great tide days. Nice to see the return of good sized Snook in numbers. Also was nice to get my son Charlie on his biggest Snook around 38-40 inches. 1st pic was 36 and the 2nd was the 38.

Replies

• Marty McFlyMarty McFly Posts: 61 Greenhorn
    Nice! What were you feeding them? Incoming or outgoing tide?
  • cseng123cseng123 Posts: 365 Deckhand
    Great fish! Nothing beats a beach snook
  • johnny-moejohnny-moe Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Grunts where the FAVs and the best bite was in my opinion at the end of the incoming and start of the outgoing tide. When that water gets to ripping out to fast it seems to slow down. It was funny we would be laying around in the water for 35-45 min and then every pole would go off in a 10-15 min span. Then the wait is on again.
  • JoeCJoeC Posts: 91 Deckhand
    Nice Fish John. Charlie is a beast! IMHO an early morning out going tide is the best- especially during the week. On the weekend- too much boat traffic and people out to make it good.
  • psycosnookerpsycosnooker Posts: 120 Deckhand
    pretty snook
  • rickh1353rickh1353 Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    great job keeping the snook in the water.... I have seen so many people catch snook at honeymoon and drag them on the beach take 5 pictures,drop the fish and expect it to survive especially after a long fight. These big females are spawning they dont need to be stressed...they go through enough with cold winters and red tide,
  • JoeCJoeC Posts: 91 Deckhand
    Rick,

We try to leave the fish in the water as much as possible and make sure they are revived fully before release. I hated to see people beach fishing hook into a big Snook then proceed o walk backwards to land it. All along dragging it onto the sand. I tried my best to politely educate the uninformed on why it was a death sentence to the fish when they are dragged along the sand. I've caught fish with the whole side red and inflamed by what I can only guess was a previous encounter with a surf fisherman. Very sad to see them like that.

Joe
  • NBJNBJ Posts: 29 Greenhorn
    Congrats Joe, Very Nice Snook!
    Cheers, NBJ
  • ~~Mutt~~~~Mutt~~ Posts: 478 Deckhand
    rickh1353 wrote: »
    and drag them on the beach take 5 pictures,drop the fish and expect it to survive especially after a long fight.,

Or just laying on the rocks ..seawall.... with weeds and sand all over them...with lures hanging out of the mouth
  • FlatsFrenzyFlatsFrenzy Posts: 893 Officer
    ~~Mutt~~ wrote: »
    Or just laying on the rocks ..seawall.... with weeds and sand all over them...with lures hanging out of the mouth

I feel the same way. Not a fan of pics like that...
    -
    Chris
    Gulf Coast of FL
    @flatsfrenzy #flyonly #onelessspinrod
  • SnookStackSnookStack Posts: 88 Deckhand
    Joe,
    I agree about you about all the conservation issues you spoke of. The spawning snook are bitten by smaller males during the spawning process, that's why a lot of them have wounds on their side. Just a cool fact, I've seen video and it's kind of a vicious process.