Home General Freshwater Fishing

6/16 Lake Hernando/Tsala Apopka

First time posting, hope to post more reports....

Fished Lake Hernando this morning from the Tsala Apopka chain. Only my second time fishing there. Got out at daylight, threw a topwater frog for a little while with nothing to show for it. Switched to a fluke, it was slow but managed a few fish biggest around 3lbs. About 8:30 it got HOT. No wind, no clouds, it was brutal. Moved around a lot, found some grass in a little bit deeper water. Managed to pull 5 fish out of the grass worming, biggest around 2lbs. Called it a day around 10:45. Probly should have flipped but didn't feel like it lol. Overall I liked the area to fish, will definitely continue to fish there. If anybody has any pointers feel free to share as I'm no expert. Thanks!

Replies

• capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,162 Moderator
    Welcome aboard CoachTL ! There was 2 tournaments there Sunday. One of my club guys got one at 7lb 14 oz.

For the conditions you did well. Thanks for the report.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,420 Officer
    Welcome Coach. I spent 4 months, last winter, fishing around there and had a ball. I don't know where you live but the Withlacoochee river is right up the road from Lake Hernando and the tree cover makes it a lot cooler to fish and there are some good fish in it. You have to watch if you go upstream from the launch ramp at the 200 but it's worth it to me. Downstream it's clear to Lake Rousseau.
  • CoachTLCoachTL Posts: 9 Greenhorn
    Alex,

I fish Rousseau and the Withlacoochee pretty often from Dunnellon to Inglis, but never up near 200. I will have to try that out, thanks.
  • a little knotsa little knots Posts: 1,222 Officer
    Last time I was there we took the cut into the back part
    of the lake an man !! You want to talk about a weed problem !!
    Dont know how it is now ! But that left a bad impression on me !
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,162 Moderator
    Last time I was there we took the cut into the back part
    of the lake an man !! You want to talk about a weed problem !!
    Dont know how it is now ! But that left a bad impression on me !
    The weed harvesters run 5 days a week. It's not bad.
    "You'll get your weather"