Snakeheads, peacock and large mouth bass 6-13-15

My son and I decided to head down South and look for snakeheads and peacock bass on Saturday since the wind was going to blow. We each ended up catching our first snakehead and we ended up catching four of them in total. We caught three of them in the canals and ponds in Margate and the last one came out of the canals in Tamarac. We had to cover a lot of ground and do a lot of casting to catch the ones that we caught. We were throwing top water rubber frogs for the snakeheads and when they decide to eat they absolutely crush the frogs. We also caught about a dozen large mouth bass while we were fishing for the snakeheads. It was getting late in the day so we decided to see if we each could catch a peacock bass or two also to complete some sort of slam. Mission accomplished! Fun day of fishing and quality time with my son! Long is helping me out with getting the pictures posted so they should be posted shortly. Thanks again Long!

5FAF9815-7829-4376-8CC8-2382331C5E7F_zpsqpqjhtxi.jpg

38FEAEC8-B1CE-49CA-838D-4EDFF780CEC7_zpsh04i8syc.jpg

DBB84D1A-EACC-4496-9279-847D60D7942A_zpssducoctn.jpg

13593E38-A1F9-4E78-A191-2A0F1F6A4BB4_zpsqr1mo4fw.jpg

87B1D968-CC22-4F9E-B1F1-C7278485A818_zps9yf00fdh.jpg

515545D5-B5D4-406E-B967-4FE4B50392A9_zpsjulmetjo.jpg

71A1C136-2DD5-4C46-87AB-E63E26465AE5_zpsokwozb26.jpg

68278D2F-997A-4728-96E4-D65D2029A516_zps5xu2qoad.jpg

Replies

• Fi$h2nguyenFi$h2nguyen Posts: 7,782 Moderator
    Fun day and for that amount and variety, I am sure there were hundreds of casts involved. Every cast has the potential to land a catch of a lifetime, that's what keeps us coming back.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keeping busy while away from Florida

https://www.youtube.com/user/UFpwrLifter/videos?view_as=public
  • ControlledChaosControlledChaos Posts: 697 Officer
    Nice peacocks! How far down south did you go to find them?
    Captain for Controlled Chaos Fishing Team
    Previous forum name jfenn10
    Check us out on Facebook @ https://m.facebook.com/ControlledChaosFishingCharter?ref=bookmarks

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jamesbrownsplitjamesbrownsplit Posts: 214 Deckhand
    Nice!

Been hunting the peacocks since my saltwater adventures have some to a complete stand still. Fun to catch, but lots of work for one or two fish since I'm fishing up in Boynton Beach. I'd like to give the snakeheads a shot but don't really have much of an idea where to start. They'll bite in the middle of the day?
  • captaintjcaptaintj Posts: 443 Deckhand
    those Peacock are great eats
    IoT-All thing connected
    GPS Tracking Solutions
    Affordable Fishing Panama, Panama
  • sandwashsluggersandwashslugger Posts: 244 Deckhand
    Nice fish. Been a long time since I caught a snake. I got some huge ones a couple years back that were close to 10lbs. Got a real nice peacock today but fishing was terribly slow overall. The snakehead strikes are unreal. Good job on the f ish.
  • Sick DaySick Day Posts: 260 Deckhand
    Do you release Snakeheads or kill them since they are a destructive invasive species?
  • Kill N TimeKill N Time Posts: 467 Deckhand
    Long - one of the things that I like most about traveling down there to fish the fresh water systems is the variety of fish that are available to catch. Even on the pan fish side there are mayan cichlids, spotted tilapia, blue tilapia, midas cichlids and more. One of these days we are going to bring the fly rods down there and have a blast!

Jfenn10 - we are finding the peacock bass in the southern half of Ft. Lauderdale, but in reality it seems like they have not yet recovered from the freeze in 2010 that far North yet. There are some there, but the numbers are not great. Seems like the fish in the systems further south like the Miami Airport Lakes system survived better and have the numbers and bigger fish. Just my opinion based on what we have seen from our trips down there. There may be spots that have plenty of numbers even further North of where we have fished, but we have not seen them personally.

jamesbrownsplit - seems like all of the canals in Margate and Tamarac have snake heads in them. The challenging part for us was to cover enough ground to catch a few. We didn't find any concentrations of them so it was a one here and one there kind of thing.

captaintj - I hear that the peacock bass are good to eat also, but we did not find enough of them where we were fishing to warrant taking any of them for the table. They seem like they have firm meat and would be good.

sandwashslugger - I saw one that was well over ten pounds, but I spooked him before I realized what he was. I can't wait to get one that big on the end of my line!

Sick Day - no comment